B4 to A3 quick tdi swap What can i expect?

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
I'm looking to do a quick swap of a 1z complete swap i scored awhile back into the A3 gasser cabrio i usually drive, its saying change me with 286k on the clock still runs but aging. I have done several weird swaps previously but have always had more time, this one i am on a crunch schedule. What can i expect not to fit or fit well and what have you guys done for solutions to the problems i have read about, like the pedal assemblies being different? I am assuming the majority of electric to be plug and play with the a3 panel. I have the complete swap including pedal assembly, wiring, trans and linkage, ecu, etc. I know i need a different intercooler but that shouldn't be too bad. I know the shifter cables may be a tad long but long is better than short right? I also know the wiring may not be optimal with item locations since the b4 is laid out differently but will it work? I have a spare engine bay harness from an A3 should i use that instead? I know its alot of questions but i basically need to knock this out in a weekend. Thanks in advance for any help!

PS for the search people: I have searched and seem to find MANY a3 to b4 or b4 variant but haven't found any the other way! I can try to reverse engineer the threads in my head since my problems and issues should be the exact opposite but some first hand pitfall knowledge is priceless!Maybe its so easy there are no threads on it!

Last edited:

all-starr-me

Veteran Member
TDI
2 96 passat's (1Z) in GLX trim
The big things that are different are the pedal cluster assembly, the clutch master cylinder, gauge cluster and the gas tank. The mk3 wiring has the head lights, fans and engine all on the same harness while the passat has them separate. I would use a mk3 tdi harness if you've got one available to you as they fit better and you won't have to worry about wires getting sliced into since the grommets are in different spots and different styles. Also if your donor is a 96 with a BK Ecu getting a later one or a Jetta one with new injectors makes it a lot more Tunable.

You might be able to trade parts to someone parting a jetta tdi or sell them outright as The pedal cluster, brake booster and clutch master plus the wiring are pretty much a straight swap into a mk2 or corrado from a B4.