B4 Smoking

ssnick

TDI
97 Passat
I've done a lot of research on this problem and haven't found symptoms similar to mine. I have a 97 Passat that I run with biodiesel that developed a noticeable turbo whine and smoking problem after a long drive where I pushed it harder than usual. I pulled the turbo and found that it was indeed toasted and replaced it with a used one that had very little play. It did have two slightly bent compressor blades (Opposite each other) however, it didn't seem to be enough to cause problems.

I started it up last night and at first it seemed fine. Although I did still hear a whine I assumed it was because it didn't have enough oil pumping through it yet. I had added oil to the turbo's oil intake connection but due to the fuel pump loosing it's prime, it took a while of turning it over to get it to start and I wasn't sure if oil was getting to the turbo during that time.

It ran well and revved well but as I said, still had a turbo whine. I drove it around the block and after about 2 blocks noticed that it was now smoking a little. Gave it some gas and it smoked more. By the time I got back home, it was smoking a steady stream of a whitish smoke.

Checked the coolant and it was fine, noticed there was bubbles in the fuel line although I had that before.

Went to bed sad. Started it this morning. No smoke, easy start, now no whine. Happy! 2 blocks down the road, starts smoking and turbo whines when spooling. Sad again.

I initially thought that the new (Old) turbo was also bad, but started thinking that it might be something else or a combination of things.

Bent compressor blades and bad bearing, oil starved turbo, bubbles in fuel, fuel injector issues...?

Sound familar to anyone? Any ideas?

Nick

ssnick

TDI
97 Passat
Well, one mystery has been solved. I drove it a couple of more times around the block today hoping that the smoking was due to excess oil in the exaust. Same thing, it would start out not smoking and by the time I completed my block, it was smoking again. The last round, I jumped on it a little and heard the turbo blow. It reved up but I stuck it in first and braked to slow down. I slowly limped home with smoke pouring out waiting for it to take off again.

So, I know it was the turbo but is it possible that it wasn't getting enough oil and the bearing was starved? It whined from the very beginning even though I added oil to where the oil intake hose connected. I'm inclined to think that the turbo was bad to start with but is there a way to check that it was getting enough oil? I don't want to install another one and have the same thing happen.

Nick

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Bent blades are not good. That puppy spins fast, and a slight wobble becomes problematic quickly. Just my wag.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
clean the intercooler and IC pipes. They accumulate oil when the turbo's seals go.