b4 rear brake question

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I am wondering if anyone knows if you can remove the rear rotors (discs) from the b4 by taking only the caliper off...or do you need to remove the bracket as well? I've got some rusted bolts back there on my 97.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I am wondering if anyone knows if you can remove the rear rotors (discs) from the b4 by taking only the caliper off...or do you need to remove the bracket as well? I've got some rusted bolts back there on my 97.
I wasn't sure so I went and looked at the bracket and I would guess that yes, you have to remove the caliper bracket in order to remove the rotor.

It's been a long time since I was in there working on these.

Steve

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Definitely have to come off. The original bolts have a serrated seat which makes them even more fun to get off

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I did spray penetrating lubricant on it in the fall, but I should take the caliper off and hit it from both sides. I'll try the triple square. On the bottom bolt someone put in a regular bolt. I hate the bottom one because it is hard to get a tool in there with the suspension in the way. I might also be able to get an oscillating multi tool blade in there to work on that serrated seat.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
Last time I did this 5 years ago I hadn't realized that you can pop the caliper off with the small bolts and get to the inside of the bolt with penetrating lubricant.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
I have the same craftsman extractor set abacus used, they have been the best option I have found for removing these. I swap them to standard hex bolts whenever I remove them.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I'm going to order parts soon, it might be a month before I get to it, but I'll let you know what happens.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have the same craftsman extractor set abacus used, they have been the best option I have found for removing these. I swap them to standard hex bolts whenever I remove them.
You don't live in the mid-west without a variety of extractors on hand at the ready!!

My 97 Jetta TDI had one bad glow plug when I bought it. That's the reason that the secondary car shop that bought it from Zimmerman (who took it in on trade) pulled the bulb from he cluster before sending it to auction. That one bad GP broke when trying to remove it and fortunately an extractor managed to get the remainder out.

Funny thing is Zimmerman had been the dealership that installed these to begin with....

Steve

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
I used a bunch of wobbly extensions to be able to get an impact wrench to get these off. I think it was about 24" worth of extensions curving around to get access. Always use a new or near new high quality allen socket. Those teeth really bite in and rusty threads don't help. Give it at least a 24 hour presoak from both sides with quality penetrating oil. I use PB Blaster.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
Thanks, I'll see what I can do. On one I know I am going to have to pound something bigger in there since it is starting to strip (but not really fully stripped out). The bottom one was replaced with a regular bolt, but the access on the bottom one is a pain because of the suspension (beam?).