B4 Passat glow plugs relay

TDI
1996 Passat tdi
Hey there, I just got a glow plug relay for my 1996 Passat. I followed the illustrated instructions I found on here. I pulled relay 103 that's in position 12, put in the new one. As soon as I turned the key on, I heard what sounded like a fuse blow, and now the car just turns over and will not start. I pulled the new relay out and looked at the old one side by side and they're aren't even the same relay, the pins are different. Any ideas on what I just fried and where to start looking? I checked all the fuses above my feet and those are all good, unless there's some hidden ones somewhere. These cars are new to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Find the 50a maxi fuse above the fuse box and see whether that's blown. If you're lucky that will be it. If that doesn't do it find and examine the 180 glow controller and see whether that survived or not.

Good luck...

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If either of those blew, would that make the car not start? Thank you.
No, not in the current weather we're having.

I just tried jumping the pintle valve in the injection pump as it wasn't getting power, once I did that I could hear it open but it still won't start
Have you checked any of the other fuses in the fusebox? Check them all. The ECU decides if everything is ok to start the engine.

Post up picture of both relays, pin side, make sure to denote which is which.

Thanks
Streve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Jesus, how the hell do I post a picture on here? Just useless over here haha
I found both relays online, trying to figure out what actually happens when you insert a 180 relay in position 12 when 103 is supposed to be there.

Recommended that maybe you read through this thread. It might help you shed light on the problem although the author never fully discloses what the extent of the damage is from accidentally swapping one relay for the other.

Steve

Last edited:
TDI
1996 Passat tdi
I found both relays online, trying to figure out what actually happens when you insert a 180 relay in position 12 when 103 is supposed to be there.

Recommended that maybe you read through this thread. It might help you shed light on the problem although the author never fully discloses what the extent of the damage is from accidentally swapping one relay for the other.

Steve
Hey Steve, I did read that thread before, I'm just unsure where to even start looking or how to go about it.