B4 headlight adjust & lug nut q

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
I have revived a B4V vr6 wagon by changing it over to a tdi.

1) Last weekend I finally polished the headlights and discovered that it has leveling and right left adjustment indicators within. Well, the passenger side is pointed at the ground, and the adjusting gear is missing. The plastic gear is gone, but the shaft that it rests on is still there. I haven't been able to get anything on that shaft to turn it yet. Has anybody encountered this? Do I need a new headlight assembly?

2) The car had steel wheels with hub caps on it when I bought it. I have since picked up a set of the correct bottle cap alloys. The lug nuts seem to be too short. I am only getting 3-4 revolutions before the lug nut seats. Seems like it should be longer. Were there steel wheel lug nuts and alloy wheel lug nuts? I don't want to bust a wheel off going around a corner or making an emergency maneuver.... IF there were two different lug nuts, does anybody happen to know the length of the longer alloy wheel set?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
the BMWs typically use more offset then VWs so you will need to purchase longer bolts. try www.ecstuning.com or you can call the tirerack or discount tires

They are not cheap anywhere. I love using OEM audi/ve wheels because I can usually use OEM bolts

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I believe both steel and alloy VR6 wheels use the same bolt - 14 X 1.5 X 27mm. Make sure they are not aftermarket wheel bolts with a tapered seat. They should have a ball seat.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
1) Last weekend I finally polished the headlights and discovered that it has leveling and right left adjustment indicators within. Well, the passenger side is pointed at the ground, and the adjusting gear is missing. The plastic gear is gone, but the shaft that it rests on is still there. I haven't been able to get anything on that shaft to turn it yet. Has anybody encountered this? Do I need a new headlight assembly?

Sounds like the light has "popped out of the socket". I had to take the grill surround off and take plastic lense cover off(real slow, its got a mastic seal -its pliable though) the light and pop the light fixture back into the socket.
While there adjust the beam before assembling everything back. GL

yagga

TDI
1997 Passat
slapshotjh said:
SINCE YOU SAID BROKEN GEAR

It is more annoying, but still can be aimed. You must remove the entire headlamp out of the car and take a pliers to the metal stud that the plastic gearing used to sit on. It's possible you may have to break the remaining plastic gearing off. It might take a few tries to get it quite right, which is the really annoying part, i.e. multiple times removing the lamp.

THIS IF THE GEAR WASN'T BROKEN, BUT AIMING STILL DID NOTHING

The inside reflector is off the ball joint, which is attached to the aiming screws through some mechanics. You will need to pop the reflector back into 1 or more joints, possibly while leaving the lamp on, most likely needing to remove it from the car.

Source: Been there done that, to the both of the above.

My subliminal message: If you aren't putting in e-codes, at least put in 9012 low beam bulbs, they are WAY better than 9006 bulbs.

Last edited:

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
Thanks for the help guys!
I may have called the rims the wrong thing. The alloys are the stock passat vr6 rims. I'll measure the length and check for the ball socket as well.

On the headlights, the plastic gear is gone (I see it on the drivers side). The plastic piece above that fits thru the radiator support is there, but the gear on the metal shaft going into the headlight housing is missing. I'll have to figure out how to remove the headlight and see if a pair of pliers can turn it. I tried doing it with pliers with the headlight still in the car, but could not quite get a grip on it.

Thanks for the tip on the 9012 bulbs!

yagga

TDI
1997 Passat
This VERY RECENT thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=256609 says how to take the headlight out.

A pliers did work great for me on my broken gear, which was coincidentally the same adjustment, passenger up/down

Just an FYI on the 9012 bulbs, they can not be found in the auto stores or auto departments of larger stores. These are specialty bulbs that are seldom used in automobiles. John Deere is the only half-ways reasonable physical store I know of that carries these, and only at their tractor/agriculture dealers, and for $27.25 currently (was $9.99 last time I bought some!!! argh!!!) The part is "AH211917." The 9012s are recently tough to find online, as Toshiba has ceased production until Philips takes over sometime next year. I doubt any shortage exists, but the big reputable internet sites are out of them.

The bulbs use HIR technology, if you want to look that up. Basically, 9012s provide about 1800 lumens vs 1000 lumens, and using the same 55 watts, along with the same or slightly better lifespan of 800 hours. I personally think the bulbs have a higher attention to detail in the machining process as well. When I look at the filaments vs other bulbs these are always perfectly centered and straight. I must say the bulbs need a bit of modification, just some sanding/trimming of 1 plastic tab, but it is completely worth it if you're running the 9006/9005 headlamp system. It will literally make you think twice before dropping $400+ on E-codes.

Last edited:

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
I got the headlight out last night and adjusted it. It seems like the gear needs to be on that shaft in order to maintain the adjustment. Without it, I am able to reach my finger in through the black plastic cover and push the adjustment around fairly easily. I am guessing that vibration from the diesel engine and the road will make it slide out of adjustment again in short order.

Maybe I will get lucky and find a used headlight somewhere. There is a single passenger side B4 ecode on ebay, but he wants 100 dollars.

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
Wow, those 9012 bulbs are hard to find! I can get them for about 32 dollars each from the local John Deere, which is the same as the John Deere online price.

yagga

TDI
1997 Passat
Can you put your hand inside the plastic flip-off door and physically move the reflector around at all? If so, it's either off the joint or could be broken internally. Those white plastic guides inside look awfully weak to me. It would be a shame to be broken internally. But if it's not, you might be able to pop one of the joints back together. Did you twist the metal stud enough turns to aim well? My right side light was aimed high, and I made about 3 full turns to get it down slightly below parallel. That might be a good ballpark figure for you going up, or at least you'll know if the aiming stud is working or not.

I see that E-code... it's taunting me, but used, one side, for $100+, ...must resist...

The 9012 price is even higher than I recall, but I still have to suggest them! BUT, only after you KNOW you can fix that one lamp. If you are going to have to replace the lamp you would be happier to know you didn't spend money on bulbs you might not be using, i.e. e-code upgrade.

Again on the lamp you have already got: I think you can probably get it. It just might take some effort or the right tug, right grip, or a pull action from a certain point to get it to reattach. I would try and try and try, but that's me. I don't like giving up unless I 100% know it will be useless.

rjskipper

TDI
Yay!! '96 Passat TDI Man I miss that car!!!
Hi Slapshotjh!!

I have been back and forth to Germany over the last month or two. Reader's Digest version: The headlights on my B4 were also having problems, re: adjustment gear "failure". I picked up one passenger side headlight from eBay Germany, which is currently 'lost in transit' apparently (although I hope it is waiting for me in Munich this weekend). 25 Euros delivered to the hotel. I then, wanting ecodes on both sides, lucked out (I hope!) on a pair for 25Euros delivered to the hotel. All used lights off eBay Germany. If all show up this weekend, and all are in good condition, I would be happy to send you the 'spare' passenger side one for $40USD (25 Euro converted) plus whatever actual shipping is. Let me know!!

Mark