b4 glx vs b4 front wheel track difference

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So I can just swap the subframe then ? That would solve the problem.
The sub frames are the same. You don't need to swap the sub frame, you can just swap the control arms with ball joints, outer CV joints and tie rods and the bearing carriers (spindles).

That will allow you to run the 5x100 Plus suspension in the front. You can run your old steering rack too if you want to.

The sub frames go with the engine because the balance weights are different based on the engine. Otherwise they are all the same, MT, AT VR6 & 4 cyl.

Steve

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
The car is a glx that has the bent subframe. I just needed to know what part makes it a glx width, the subframe or the lca's. Now that we've identified the subframe is the same except for the hunk of steel mount, I'll swap it over.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
CV shafts are longer as well
To my knowledge only the outer CV is different, the axles and inner CV's are the same between TDI and VR with MT. Even in the aftermarket rebuilders list lengths the same between the Plus and base suspension car axles.

I haven't looked at them in comparison in a long time but that's what I recall. Even the sealed wheel bearing is the same.

At one time I checked the track width between the two just for curiosity and I think it came down to the difference in wheel width and offset that accounted for the difference, the axle CV combos didn't play any part in that.

But to answer his question the LCA's are different on Plus suspension cars but IIRC it's not that the Plus suspension gave you a wider track width, it just gave you a faster steering and better suspension geometry.

Steve

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Hmm I always thought the shafts were longer. Either way, I'll be finding out again real soon. I do know the LCA are in fact longer from plus to base suspension.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hmm I always thought the shafts were longer. Either way, I'll be finding out again real soon. I do know the LCA are in fact longer from plus to base suspension.
The info I have written down from hunting around on this topic says the following:

Front track:
Base susp - 58.23
Plus susp - 58.46

Rear track:
Base susp - 55.98
Plus susp - 56.22

wheel size / offset
Base - 14x6 offset 38 (factory steel)
Plus - 15x6 offset 35 (factory alloy)

The front LCA's are longer but they also shift the position of the BJ, and the angle of the BJ is different too than the base cars, but since the bearing carrier (spindle) is also different as is the hub too I think, it's hard to make an assessment just looking at the LCA alone.

I have new front hubs in both I should pull one of each and check those out. I may have new rear rotors as well.

At any rate the published numbers are so close that it suggested to me at least, that the differences were all in the wheel offsets.

Steve