B4 Central Locking Problem

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
My 1996 B4V is having a central locking problem. From the driver's side door handle, it will unlock the other 3 doors, but not the Driver's door. Then in about 2 seconds, it re-locks the other 3 doors. When I try to unlock the doors from the front passenger door, it does the same thing, but it does unlock the front passenger door for the 2 seconds before it re-locks all 4 doors. The vacuum pump is cycling the normal time, so I do not suspect a leak. I do think the driver's front door lock actuator is not working as I cannot manually pull up on the lock knob, but can do so with the passenger lock knobs (to allow me to get out of the car)! History:

I just replaced the door latch on the side of the driver's door 2 months ago with OEM VW. The door handle is original, so was thinking of replacing it and the the lock actuator. That being said, I cannot get the driver's door unlocked to be able to remove the inside panel to replace the actuator or door handle so need help with that as well, thanks guys!

tripl-e

Veteran Member
TDI
b4 sporting a new ET 6th gear!
From the driver's side door handle, it will unlock the other 3 doors, but not the Driver's door. Then in about 2 seconds, it re-locks the other 3 doors.
After the other 3 doors unlock, the controller sees the driver's door locked and re-locks the rest of the car. This sounds normal to me.

When I try to unlock the doors from the front passenger door, it does the same thing, but it does unlock the front passenger door for the 2 seconds before it re-locks all 4 doors.
Re-locks all 4 doors? Or re-locks the 3 doors other than the driver's door (which never unlocked in the first place)? I suspect that the latter is what you meant to say and this is also consistent with the controller seeing a locked driver's door-it locks the rest of the car. You should be able to unlock the passenger door alone with no central control interaction by making a single unlock motion with the key. This would give one open door (passenger front) and 3 locked doors. Correct?

I do think the driver's front door lock actuator is not working as I cannot manually pull up on the lock knob, but can do so with the passenger lock knobs
Agreed. The driver's door actuator seems to be jammed/stuck in the locked position. A vacuum leak would not do this. The question is what has jammed the lock actuator?

, I cannot get the driver's door unlocked to be able to remove the inside panel to replace the actuator or door handle so need help with that as well, thanks guys!
That is the root of the problem and I don't know how you can get around the 'locked' door to get it open other than to destroy the door card to gain access to the actuator. And that's a lousy option. Have you tried to open the driver's door while in the car with the ignition on? I'm not sure what benefit that might have but reason that with the ignition on the controller has no reason to want to lock anything. Good Luck!

EEE

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Yes, you are correct, it re-locks the 3 doors as the driver's door never unlocks. You are also correct I can unlock the passenger door with a single unlock motion with the key, which gives me 3 locked and 1 unlocked door (passenger front).

I will try to open the driver's door with the car on and see if I can get it open and report back, thanks EEE!

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to update this problem, I kept trying to unlock the doors from the passenger side door handle (when I try to unlock the doors from the driver's side, it would not turn very far and was afraid it would break off the key in the lock) and finally the door locks stayed open, including the driver's side door, so am keeping it unlocked while I wait for a new OEM driver's door handle and vacuum lock solenoid from World Impex today. What a PITA to deal with and hope this thread helps someone else since our B4's are showing their age.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The door locks on these are very simple systems, I have re-keyed a few and I am no locksmith.

You don't even need to remove the handle from the car, just unplug it from the door and leave the wire attached. It's easily worth looking into for the cost of a new handle.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
When you replace it, you'll want to make sure that the wire is routed/tie-wrapped correctly. When I dug into my green one shortly after I got it, it looks like the power window mechanicals yanked on the wire which broke the microswitch in the handle and the plastic pieces in the window regulator top rail. Most likely the wire came out of the clip after being replaced by the PO so I tie-wrapped the new one in place.

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
Do all of you B4 owners have the central locking/unlocking function with the inside door button? Mine is not working since years, and I recently changed the driver's door vacuum actuator (thinking the actuator's microswitch vas bad) without success. Central locking works fine with the key though. Any idea someone?

Last edited:

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Rear Passenger Door that will not unlock

On the topic of the central locking system, I have a B4 Passat rear passenger door that will not unlock. Pulling up on the door lock from the inside, there seems to be a small amount of travel in the door lock mechanism, sounds like the door lock linkage is moving a slight bit, but not enough to unlock the door. Seems like something is preventing the door from being unlocked.

Unlocking the doors via the central locking system, using the key and driver's door , I can see all of the door locks move upward, but this passenger door lock moves up then immediately back down again.

Is this a vacuum issue, something mechanical in the linkage, or the child lock safety switch I've read quite a bit about? All three of the other doors, the trunk and fuel door, all work properly. Exterior door handle is broken, probably from someone trying to force the issue.

If I hold the door lock knob and pull upwards, the lock moves up a little, but when I let go, seems like something is pulling it back down to the locked position.

I've tried the slim jim approach, I can push down on the latch that the outside door handle pushes down on when opening the door, but with the door locked, not possible to open this way.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
So if I just wanted to completely remove the central locking system from my B4 TDi, what should I expect to do, and what problems might I run into?

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Do all of you B4 owners have the central locking/unlocking function with the inside door button? Mine is not working since years, and I recently changed the driver's door vacuum actuator (thinking the actuator's microswitch vas bad) without success. Central locking works fine with the key though. Any idea someone?
I'm bumping this because I find it very inconvenient that I can't lock/unlock the doors from inside the car. I have to put the key in the door to lock up every time. I also have the issue where I can't manually lock/unlock the driver's door because the button feels "stuck", but the vaccum works.

Is cycling the driver's lock/unlock button supposed to engage the other three simultaneously?

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
That kinda kills the purpose for me. haha I want to be able to lock all the doors with mine open so I won't have to use a key in the door. My wife's Corolla will only let you lock all the doors if there's no key in the ignition, so I'm surprised VW didn't use something similar.

I might rig up a momentary toggle in my switchplate so I can accomplish this. I'll see about tapping into the convenience module harness.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The drivers door can't be locked when it is open, it physically prevents the lock from going down. So even if you wire something up you won't be able to do what you want, VW really really wants you to lock the car from the outside!

I just recently installed a keyless entry setup for my B3 though - was reasonably cheap. That's another approach worth considering from a convenience perspective.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
VW has been doing this for decades. There's something in the striker box that prevents the lock pin from being pressed when the door is open.

This doesn't mean that you can't modify the striker box, to allow it to lock with the door open.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Todd's correct, there's something in the latch assembly that prevents it from being locked when it's open. Personally I like it that way but that's just me.

If you want to know how it's different get hold of a passenger front latch and open them both up and compare. The passenger side you can lock with the door open, so what ever VW has done with the passenger latch you would just have to match in the driver.

Steve

Refak

TDI
96 B4V, 99Beetle,03Beetle
The Button rod is connected to another rod into the vacuum module.
vacuum modules can leak and button goes up. It seems to depend on vacuum to keep the door locked. But where is the vacuum/pressure pump located. That's what I want to know.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The Button rod is connected to another rod into the vacuum module.
vacuum modules can leak and button goes up. It seems to depend on vacuum to keep the door locked. But where is the vacuum/pressure pump located. That's what I want to know.
It doesn't require continuous vacuum to keep the car locked, only vacuum for long enough to move the latches into the correct position. Alternatively it only applies pressure only long enough to unlock the mechanism. The rest of the time it sits idle.

Steve