B4 body and paint

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
I have just gotten out of the rust belt and back to Washington. Thankfully my B4V started its life out in WA and only was tortured by WI roads for 2 1/2 years. I do have some rust around the windshield and on one door. I'd like to go over the B4V to be sure nothing sneaks up on me. I'm guessing the windshield will need to be pulled to assure the a-pillars don't rust.

As I'm not a body man, anyone have suggestions? Typical problem spots you've run into?

morris1524

TDI
95 VR6 Wagon Conversion Rabbit Diesel
I am interested in any tips on this too. I have not addressed the rust yet.

What might it cost to have the windshield taken out, the pillar worked on, touch up paint, then the windshield put back? I mean ballpark of course, since who knows how bad it will be once it is out.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
You'll never get the windshield out without it cracking so plan on replacing it. I have a shop going to do it for $175. Depending on how far advanced the rust is, it might advisable to take it to a body shop for rust repair.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
YEAH! Go to the body shop and get the best work for the windshield since you don't want to deal with this ever again!

I also have a couple of spots due to the PO being sideswiped @ the rear left quarter. I will take care of them this year.

Get them rust spots taken care of!

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
I have rust spots on the pillars from a bad windshield replacement under the PO. I would love to be able to coordinate grinding the rust out, filling and painting the pillars with an insured replacement of my cracked windshield. Unfortunately, most of the places Allstate will send me to get new glass are not set up to do the body work. I could grind and paint, but I'd never be sure the rust wouldn't recur from under the edge of the glass. Argh.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
For the price of a repair and a good respray you could probably get a clean car from down south.

I see b4 passats all the time and think about it. Depending on where my next job takes me I might buy a varient and swap in a TDI so I can decommision my wife's 20V passat.

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
G60ING said:
For the price of a repair and a good respray you could probably get a clean car from down south.

I see b4 passats all the time and think about it. Depending on where my next job takes me I might buy a varient and swap in a TDI so I can decommision my wife's 20V passat.
I feared that, but I don't have time to sort engine/drivetrain which always happens with these cars (and I honestly can't imagine doing an engine swap at this point). This one is in great shape aside from the rust (and broken door handle "mod" I've left in my signature to make me feel guilty).

I am working with a company that is moving to a new space with a spray booth. They may be bringing in a paint & body guy so I might not have to worry about the respray cost. Paint and body work is totally new to me so I'm just learning what is needed to save this B4V and would love to pick up some skills along the way.