B3V conversion, go Bilstein B6 or B8?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
When I first put the wagon together I used some stuff I had around the garage from other projects, stuff I would care so much about if the project went south and never got finished.

Part of that was suspension, I had front struts / springs I had gotten at the JY that looked like new and were cheap KYB and for the rear I got some clearance KYB for maybe $21 a corner. It was a low budget suspension to say the least.

Well now I'm starting to gather up parts to improve the suspension and I'm going with Bilstein.

The question I have now is whether I should do the B6 on the rear or the B8 since it's a wagon? The difference between the two is about $30 total for the rears. I'm going with the B6 on the front with the Meyle HD mounts.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I believe the B8s are meant for lowering springs, the B6 for stock springs.

B6 for sure on the rear for a wagon especially if you're using extra load springs.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I believe the B8s are meant for lowering springs, the B6 for stock springs.

B6 for sure on the rear for a wagon especially if you're using extra load springs.
At this point standard OE springs, no lowering and none expected. Front has plus mounts / bearings.

In the spec sheet for each (B6 and B8) they have almost identical max extension / min extension. B6 is considered performance and B8 is considered performance plus. The B4 is the touring class group they have.

Thanks

Steve