B10A911 ac compressor failing to activate

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
Hello,

running into this code b10a911,
Activation ac compressor/short circuit to ground.
I recently replaced my RCV valve (old one was causing ac issues). Maybe about a week or so after, the ac stopped working altogether (I don’t think the compressor clutch is engaging at all). Wondering if anyone has experience with this code, if the replacement RCV valve crapped out (poor quality), or if I should try replacing the ac pressure switch?
Any input or feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
You dont have an AC clutch, if the pulley spins but the compressor doesn't then the compressor seized and the rubber plugs in the pulley sheared off.

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
You dont have an AC clutch, if the pulley spins but the compressor doesn't then the compressor seized and the rubber plugs in the pulley sheared off.
Is there a chance this could be caused by the RCV valve? (Trying to figure out if other recourse is available - other than compressor replacement)

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
So just spent half the day changing out the RCV valve for the third time lol. The lesson I’ve learned, don’t buy cheap parts Lolol. It’s worth dropping $60 to fix something that could have cost $1700.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
which RCV valve did you first get and whats other RCV valve you went with?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
ugh...... I cant seem to find any on Guteauto. how long did your first one last?

I got mine, now it dont seem to be cooperative once in a while but does better than the first VW OEM valve thats failed recently. not sure if this valve is bad or the guy didnt fill it properly.

here's what the AC guy said by texting, the weight of freon is factory specific and that's what I charged it with, I was curious if the compressor may have been overworked with a bad valve? I was not impressed with the high (output) side pressure it seemed slightly low. We can check it. Also we can look for leaks.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny I was looking at RKX then went with ACTECmax.... looks like I may have made a mistake? LOL

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
First one barely lasted a week. Been driving around without ac for a good month. Finally temperatures are hitting in the 90’s and I just couldn’t lol.
My guess is that having the bad oem valve and then a bad replacement valve couldn’t have been good for my compressor. I don’t think the ac blows ice cold immediately, but then again, I think it would be difficult for that to happen in 90+ degree weather.

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
Your replacement sounds like how my original oem was before it crapped it out completely. Happened once, and then six months, and then more and more frequently.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
ouch. thanks for sharing your experience. so far yesterday it has been good. it rained and it was cold. that's ok for now. will go back to the shop when I do have the time. :)
irst one barely lasted a week. Been driving around without ac for a good month. Finally temperatures are hitting in the 90’s and I just couldn’t lol.
My guess is that having the bad oem valve and then a bad replacement valve couldn’t have been good for my compressor. I don’t think the ac blows ice cold immediately, but then again, I think it would be difficult for that to happen in 90+ degree weather.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
I looked around and the RKX seemed to have good reviews, so that's the one I went with. Will see how long it lasts, but I can say that it certainly works better than the stock RCV I pulled out! And filling the system with R134 went a LOT faster with a working RCV valve.

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
I feel like there should be a sticky / vw mega thread on RCV valves. I don’t think it’s limited to our tdi’s and not just mk5/6 Jetta/golfs.

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
First one barely lasted a week. Been driving around without ac for a good month. Finally temperatures are hitting in the 90’s and I just couldn’t lol.
So you got the guteauto one and it physically broke? Or it just didn't work well? Because my brother put one in a couple weeks ago and it is still acting like before where it only works some times.

Debating whether to try the rkx brand valve or If there is some other problem...

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
I just installed one in my 2006 ...
Seems very good quality and it was cheaper than a new Sanden compressor and now my ac works..!

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
So you got the guteauto one and it physically broke? Or it just didn't work well? Because my brother put one in a couple weeks ago and it is still acting like before where it only works some times.

Debating whether to try the rkx brand valve or If there is some other problem...
I think the one that I purchased from guteauto was super low quality. I pulled it out after evacuating the ac system to test it using this method:

And found that without current going to it, it was closed. I’m guessing the solenoid either fused or stuck shut.

the RKX brand valve is working like a champ so far, keeping fingers crossed. I’ve read good things about polar bear brand as well, they’re about $40 more (~$100). I think this is one of those repair cases where spending more on the replacement part is worth it, especially as replacing the compressor will cost many multiple times more at minimum.