B.C. Emissions and Fuel Economy?

Andrew G.

Does anyone know what exactly the "B.C. Emissions" option is on a 2002 Golf TDI 5-speed?

The car I purchased had it installed from the factory - I guess the dealer traded up with another in B.C (I live in Winnipeg) and yes the dealer covered the cost of the option.

Anyway - I would be curious to find out what the emissions package does - as I haven't had nearly the mileage most others discuss on the posts.

I do regular 450km jaunts to the cottage and back - and would have a hard time doing the trip twice on 1 tank...

Thanks in advance for any replies!

[ April 30, 2002, 18:26: Message edited by: Andrew G. ]

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "B.C. emissions" is simply ANOTHER tax (who knows what the rationale is or where it goes to) by our wonderful provincial government.

I think the cars sold here in B.C. are the same as those sold in the rest of the country. The car you got from a B.C. dealer simply had the tax taken off. Your dealer is not being magnanimous!

(My car was shipped from Toronto and did not have anything changed on it prior to delivery.)

Some people use the "vent trick" to stuff an extra few litres in during fillup. Maybe that would give you the extra range you need? Anyway, I'm getting about 800 kms. per tank, city driving. 900 kms. per tank, highway sounds feasible. How far off are you?

Wait a minute, I just reread your post - are you expecting 1800 kms. per tank?!!!

Andrew G.

Tax? Since it is Canada, it sounds pretty likely, although I had never considered this - You read it correctly the first time 450km round trip - 900km there and back twice.

I have been getting around 750 to 800km per tank on average I would guess - and yes the winters on the prairie should and do take their toll (I wouldn't want to run at -30C either...)

I have just under 10000 km on the odometer, and I have averaged a shade over 6.5 L/100 km thru that time.

I do vent, but looking the manufacturer's recommended fuel efficiency for a 2002 TDI - 55 litres of diesel should take you about 1000km in the city and 1250km on the highway.

I'm not overly concerned at this point - and I'm just patiently waiting for summer diesel and temperatures to arrive!

Former_TDIer

Veteran Member
TDI
gls, 2002, blue
Im getting 1000kms per tank almost on the nose. Ive noticed the difference between sumer and winter is aprox 200km. Its also good to note, diesel in Canada is les regulated than in the US and you would be hard pressed to find any technical info from the big dealers in Canada unlike the US where its posted on the companies website. Thoe only Cetain referance I can find in Canada is SHell saying they are above 40. For people using farm diesel... farm diesel is not low sulfer. ALL on raod diesle sold in Canada since 1998 has been Low Sulfer (but our low is europs high).