axle replacment

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Hey all,

does anyone have a how to on axle replacement for Jetta TDI? I need to ether rebuild mine or replace. Looking for how to remove axle from car.

Thanks
Jamie

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Loosen the large nut on the end of the axle before jacking the car up. Loosen wheel lugs, jack the car up, support it by the frame or sub frame(not control arm). After putting the car on jack stands and removing the wheel, remove the large nut from the end of the axle(that was already loosened), gently push the axle to make sure its free within the hub. Use a piece of wood to tap the end of it if needed to not damage the threads.

Loosen the ball joint by the 3 bolts that hold it to the control arm, or the one bolt through the middle (trickier but wont lose alignment). Remove the sway arm bolt. Remove the strut assembly from the control arm, ensure axle is loose within the hub, the axle should slide out of the hub at this point now that the strut swings out of the way.

Use a 8 mm triple square to loosen the 6 bolts on the transmission end. once remove the axle should come out. Repair or Replace and re-assemble.

Good luck.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
No need to mess with the strut. The video above will help tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Unless your axle is worn badly, try to just re-boot and grease it. Aftermarket axles are mostly junk.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Depending on the car and which side's axle - I have been able to remove one without disconnecting anything but the axle (just pulled the drivers side on a Beetle). I never pull the three ball joint bolts since it forces an alignment. If there isn't enough wiggle room, I pop the ball joint from the knuckle (with the axle pushed in there is just enough room to remove the nut).

You must be close to me - if you get stuck, hit me up.