Axle Bolt

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
Hello. As y’all know I’m doing a manual swap on my Passat. Anyway, the axles from the manual are different from the automatic obviously. I thought the axle bolts were interchangeable between them.

I believe my car came with Part# 4B0407643A
And they do not fit the axles Frans provided with the swap. So I went on the exploded view and saw that the only other bolt option is part# 4B0407643.

One is M16 bolt the other is a m14. The original bolt is m16 Bolt and it seems to be the right size but doesn’t thread into it. I bought the other bolt and it’s too small. Goes straight into the axle without grabbing any threads. So now I’m stuck. Can anyone provide me with the correct part number?

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
So I ended up purchasing all three axle bolt options from VW and none of them fit. Has anyone had issues with axles from Fran’s? He told me the bolt from my auto axle should fit the manual axles. After trying my axle bolt and three new bolts from VW none work. Im assuming the reman axle he sent may have had the threads messed up when they dissembled it from the original vehicle. Anyone else have this problem?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I've only had experience with USA supplied CV axles but have used them from 1998/2001 v6 5 speed gas Passats and 2004/05 slush box diesel Passats. I've had my hands on both aftermarket from your local auto parts store and OEM. When I was doing my conversions and part outs all the nuts/bolts went into the same 2 buckets. All the CV axle botls are the same that I've noticed. Misplaced one on my recent clutch swap and went back to the trusty bucket-0-hardware for another. Found the missing one after the clutch job and went back into the bucket for future use.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
I've only had experience with USA supplied CV axles but have used them from 1998/2001 v6 5 speed gas Passats and 2004/05 slush box diesel Passats. I've had my hands on both aftermarket from your local auto parts store and OEM. When I was doing my conversions and part outs all the nuts/bolts went into the same 2 buckets. All the CV axle botls are the same that I've noticed. Misplaced one on my recent clutch swap and went back to the trusty bucket-0-hardware for another. Found the missing one after the clutch job and went back into the bucket for future use.
Honestly it’s my fault. Idk why I wasn’t thinking or even noticed. I smoke a little too much sometimes. When looking at the axle it has the boot and looks like it has the cv joint but it doesn’t. I’m honestly shot. When comparing the axles I noticed afterwards that I’m dumb and I’m suppose to transfer my old cv joints from the auto axles. This is when I noticed that the axles that were on the auto were cheap solid axles, so I don’t even trust the outer cv joints. Time to order a GKN kit from FCPeuro. I know the manual axles Frans sent are used genuine axles haha now I see why he charged extra for new cv joints. I figured he’d send used complete axles.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Glad you figured it out. What size are the inner tri pot joit flanges... 108mm?