Awards

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Still thinking about ideas for awards, but I've settled on a few:

* Best fuel consumption. Keep your logs and reciepts of the trip. This is somewhat on the honour system, but we can trust you, right?

* Farthest distance traveled in a TDI powered vehicle. Again, please keep a log.

* BUG*PWR Award - Haven't figured out the exact item for this award, but it will be done with votes. Perhaps people choice car? Most inovative modification? Still thinking that one through.

* Drag strip times of course. Probably a few different catagories.

* Autocross awards. If a sutable location is found.

BTW has anyone judged at a car show before? Any input from past experiences are needed to help organize this.

Thanks,

Fred

valois

Banned
Fred, Jonathan Bartlett has won awards so he must know something, J hasn't done to shabby either. I need to contact the dealer and see what level of participation they would envision in the prizes they are delivering.

valois

Banned
Hey before I contact the dealer and firm up the deal, give me some advice on prizes that you would like to see. I have mentioned to them in general terms, Monsoon systems, cd changers, optional equipment and parts, and maintenance kits such as air filters, oil filters, fuel filters and such. What do you guys think? I obviously can't promise anything in particular, but I believe they will be open to suggestions. i requested that everyone in attendance be given participation prizes in the form of promotional items. Let me know.

S

SkyPup

Hood bras seem to be in big demand (we've got those damn Love-Bugs loose all over the place down here and they have creamed everyone), as are mud flaps and roof racks. Bosch Fuel filters, oil filters, case of oil, VW T-shirts all seem to be standard items that would be nice.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
The shows I have attended have generally broken the VW's into model groups or vintage groups. The first type of breakdown would place all the Jettas, A3 and A4, together. The second type of breakdown would place the A3 Jettas with the B4 Passats and the A4 Jettas with the A4 N-Beetles. I'd suggest that the breakdown we consider should be the B4 Passat and A3 Jetta together, the New Beetles alone, and the A4 Jetta and Golf together. This gives three groups that should be roughly equal in numbers.
Once the model divisions have been done there are two or three further breakdowns:
Stock, no modifications, cars leave the dealer with a potential 100 points and deductions are made for any change. VW options available from the dealer in the year of manufacture are permitted.
Modified, no limit to modifications BUT the car has to appear to the judge to have been built by VW with the expected fit and finish, VR6 Syncro Cabriolets would be a hands down winner in this class. Cars start with 50 or so points and additions are made for modifications and deductions for imperfections. A maximum of 100 points.
The occasional third class is Radical, small block Chevy powered Lupos, TDI powered Freightliner trucks, rear windows replaced by flat screen television sets, whatever, absolutely anything goes. No starting base for points and the judge's opinion is all that matters. Also a maximum of 100 points.
Our group would probably be limited to Stock and Modified. This would make six categories.
I expect that there will be 20 to 25 participants so six categories is more than enough. Come on down, Prove my prediction ridiculously low.

------------------
3.5 liter Passat
"3 liter Lupo? I don't need no stinking 3 liter Lupo!"

valois

Banned
See, Derf I told you he knew something about it. 25 participants is pesimistic though. I am sure there are that many just in the surrounding environs. I am sure Bob King will send out a letter to every TDI owner they have sold to, inviting them. I will request that they include the tdiclub.com on the invitation to learn of further details.