Average time to swap a manual in a B5 tdi

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
What's everyone's thoughts on how long to swap a manual into a TDI and get a running moving car out the other end?

Assume all parts are on hand. And we have a lift. What do i budget for time?

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
My friend and I mostly manual swapped his 04 Passat in a weekend with a V6 5-speed transmission. There were complications as he wasn't prepared with the correct clutch parts (he thought he was), so he finished it separately when he had everything. The lift should make it a bit easier. We did it on jack stands. Most important I think is being prepared with all the parts you need. Most difficult part is IMO adding the clutch/brake pedals and hydraulics, but it's doable without pulling the dash.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
That's what i was hoping to hear. Somebody did it pretty much in a weekend.

I have clutch pedal stuff, clutch, flywheel, axles, 01X trans, shifter and box.
I think that's everything. I'll need to figure out a trans mount, but i'm good with fabrication and have access to a cnc plasma.
I know the 01X is not the typical direction, but the gearing and price is pretty good for USA.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
talk to vwztips, he has done the 01X swap and made a transmission bracket.

That's what i was hoping to hear. Somebody did it pretty much in a weekend.

I have clutch pedal stuff, clutch, flywheel, axles, 01X trans, shifter and box.
I think that's everything. I'll need to figure out a trans mount, but i'm good with fabrication and have access to a cnc plasma.
I know the 01X is not the typical direction, but the gearing and price is pretty good for USA.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
If using the hard pre molded clutch line make sure you install it before the transmission. That could save you hours of work.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If using the hard pre molded clutch line make sure you install it before the transmission. That could save you hours of work.
I was in the "whoops, guess I have to install the clutch line now" camp.

I was able to weasle it in by loosening off the master cylinder to booster bolts. Most of the way and lifting the booster up with a ratchet strap. Got it out of the way far enough to get the ridgid line installed.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
I was in the "whoops, guess I have to install the clutch line now" camp.

I was able to weasle it in by loosening off the master cylinder to booster bolts. Most of the way and lifting the booster up with a ratchet strap. Got it out of the way far enough to get the ridgid line installed.
Honestly I find it's easiest to loosen off the booster whether the trans is in place or not. In our case, my friend just held it up while I snaked the line in. Didn't need to ratchet strap it or anything (but also the brake pedal was disconnected from it first)

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool. I knew about the clutch line first deal. Engine is coming out also for the BSM delete and timing belt, so it will be a good time to do it. I just had an A4 Audi on the lift for engine out work and it's the same thing pretty much.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
talk to vwztips, he has done the 01X swap and made a transmission bracket.
I think i saw that somewhere. Two bars and plates with hole in them side to side?
I'm sure i can come up with something good. Right in my wheelhouse.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
The automatic brake pedal is just the manual one with a plate welded to it. Instead of trying to switch pedals, somewhat difficult, I juct cut off the plate.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
You pretty much have to pull the whole thing apart anyway to get the clutch pedal in. Why not swap the brake as well?

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed. The brake pedal is super easy to remove. IMO easier than cutting it. Just unthread the booster from it, pin is already removed to add the clutch pedal anyway. It's not a Mk4 where you have to unclip the ball.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
This may already be a known hack, but you can remove the automatic flanges, diff cover, and diff to greatly ease the trans removal. No need to drop subframe (is that a thing?). The clutch hardline is an absolute nightmare and i recommended braided. Another trick.i used was to pre-mark the correct bellhousing bolt holes. As there are many unused ones that can cause confusion.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I pulled engine and the transmission ti do the work on a bench. It was a good time to do all the rear engine work suchas the coolant manifold. I also did the BS delete and a new cam at the same time. I bought a car with a bad tranny.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
This may already be a known hack, but you can remove the automatic flanges, diff cover, and diff to greatly ease the trans removal. No need to drop subframe (is that a thing?). The clutch hardline is an absolute nightmare and i recommended braided. Another trick.i used was to pre-mark the correct bellhousing bolt holes. As there are many unused ones that can cause confusion.
It sounds like you're talking about the jetta/golf/beetle, this is a B5 Passat which is longitudinal.

Mozambiquer

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'll be doing a manual swap on my B5.5 Passat wagon before too long. Currently working on gathering parts. I have a whitbread flywheel and Southbend clutch, and a v6 manual parts car. Just waiting on time now.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'll be doing a manual swap on my B5.5 Passat wagon before too long. Currently working on gathering parts. I have a whitbread flywheel and Southbend clutch, and a v6 manual parts car. Just waiting on time now.
I used the whitbread flywheel and had interference between pressure plate and trans case. I did NOT use a spacer and that probably would have remedied the issue. I removed some material from inside bell.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I never bothered removing the axle flanges when removing the slush box from the b5.5 or B5. it will pull clear with the cv axles in place on both auto and manual set ups.

Being that I'm reinstalling top side via cherry picker on asphalt and weigh sub 200 lbs I suggest using your favorite method of getting the axles out of the way when reinstalling as it's easy to damage them. I usually just pull the CV axle bolts and pull the axles, reinstall once the engine is sitting back in place.

The one only time I tried to reinstall the with axles in place I angrily ripped a boot trying to wiggle it in place. Having a helper might have worked but I wasn't going to risk pinching my kids fingers.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I never bothered removing the axle flanges when removing the slush box from the b5.5 or B5. it will pull clear with the cv axles in place on both auto and manual set ups.

Being that I'm reinstalling top side via cherry picker on asphalt and weigh sub 200 lbs I suggest using your favorite method of getting the axles out of the way when reinstalling as it's easy to damage them. I usually just pull the CV axle bolts and pull the axles, reinstall once the engine is sitting back in place.

The one only time I tried to reinstall the with axles in place I angrily ripped a boot trying to wiggle it in place. Having a helper might have worked but I wasn't going to risk pinching my kids fingers.
I removed the diff so i wouldn't have to drop the subframe. At the time seemed like the only way to get auto out while leaving sub in place. There may be another method however. Axles were not really my concern at the time.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have never bothered removing a sub frame either. Remove trans mounts, unbolt easier side of each of the engine mounts, disconnect shifter linkage and disconnect electrical. Remove cv axle flange bolts and turbo exhaust flange. Bungee the ac compressor out of the way. Lift the engine assembly where it will clear, usually doing a few final adjustments with the load leveler. Then use my Deere lawn mower to pull the cherry picker as it's easier than pulling. Drop dead slush box in trunk for trip to scrap metal yard.

It's a very redneck method but works for me. The lesser amount of work I need to do rolling around on a creeper the better.

Never so much a scratched an axle on the way out, ruined one trying to get it back in without removing.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I have never bothered removing a sub frame either. Remove trans mounts, unbolt easier side of each of the engine mounts, disconnect shifter linkage and disconnect electrical. Bungee the ac compressor out of the way. Lift the engine assembly where it will clear, usually doing a few final adjustments with the load leveler. Then use my Deere lawn mower to pull the cherry picker as it's easier than pulling.

It's a very redneck method but works for me. The lesser amount of work I need to do rolling around on a creeper the better.
Not sure i understand. Why are you messing with the engine mounts?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure i understand. Why are you messing with the engine mounts?
To remove the engine? I just take one bolt out of them, sometimes a top, sometimes a bottom depending on if it's a v6 or TDI model. Whichever I can most easily access with an impact driver, socket or ratcheting wrench.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
To remove the engine? I just take one bolt out of them, sometimes a top, sometimes a bottom depending on if it's a v6 or TDI model. Whichever I can most easily access with an impact driver, socket or ratcheting wrench.
Oh my. Are you removing engine to do a manual swap?.i'm taking about dropping the auto trans without removing the engine or subframe. I did have the luxury of a lift and trans jack.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I remove them all together, the OP needed to do a balance shaft delete anyway. Much easier to do the rear oil seal, tap the block, replace the coolant T/hoses while the engine is on a stand, etc vs in the car.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Nope, talking about passat b5.5 bhw.
I don't remove the flanges on transverse manual swaps and removing the diff on a 01M does not give any advantage in removal.
Ah ok, that makes sense after you mention it.
I dropped the whole subframe, took very little time and came right out nicely.

yadic

TDI
just looking
I have never bothered removing a sub frame either. Remove trans mounts, unbolt easier side of each of the engine mounts, disconnect shifter linkage and disconnect electrical. Remove cv axle flange bolts and turbo exhaust flange. Bungee the ac compressor out of the way. Lift the engine assembly where it will clear, usually doing a few final adjustments with the load leveler. Then use my Deere lawn mower to pull the cherry picker as it's easier than pulling. Drop dead slush box in trunk for trip to scrap metal yard.

Never so much a scratched an axle on the way out ABB IPR/S3.5.1 2CDG110176R0011 [19/44] 3 Commissioning, ruined one trying to get it back in without removing.
assuming that I provide all of the parts and the DIY guides on here for doing it, how long should it take a mechanic to do? my guy charges $60 an hour and he doesn't always charge the total amount of hours that he actually works on a car, so he is a pretty good mechanic to have. i don't have the time to do it myself (full time work/full time college), so he would have to be the one to do it. so how many hours of labor do you guys think? assuming that I provide all the parts/bolts/guides for him?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
assuming that I provide all of the parts and the DIY guides on here for doing it, how long should it take a mechanic to do? my guy charges $60 an hour and he doesn't always charge the total amount of hours that he actually works on a car, so he is a pretty good mechanic to have. i don't have the time to do it myself (full time work/full time college), so he would have to be the one to do it. so how many hours of labor do you guys think? assuming that I provide all the parts/bolts/guides for him?
Depends on how many times he's put a B5 or b5.5 into service position and is he doing a balance shaft delete? Does he have vag com and is the ECU already tuned?

Maybe two days? 16 hours maybe two and half, 20 hours . Much less is he's familiar with them and doesn't need to waste time looking for which wrench fits the turbo flange nuts the best, doesn't have to spend an hour figuring out how to use vag com to set parameters for the new 5 speed.

Last edited: