Auto's fat brake pedal

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The fat brake pedal the auto cars come with is making a PITA of itself. It helps not at all that my feet are not small. I see two options; one to fight out the auto brake pedal box( and that of the donor ), and install the skinny manual pedal, or break out a saw and trim the fat auto one. Seems like the biggest issue is getting the booster connection to let go of the pedal...nothing I have seen yet says this is easy with less than 3 hands and/or a special tool. I'd love to hear about something that is not going to have me stuck in a 5 hour cursing session...
cheers,
Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are two different SSTs available to release the brake pedal rod. I have them both.

T10006A

The latter is easier to use, but it still is awkward.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The T10006A is not looking like a bad acquisition. IDP to the rescue for ~$35. Given your 'awkward' description, I am not holding my breath for the pedal block to leap out when I show it the tool...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is one of those situations where you have to stick your tongue out a little, lift one leg, and squint one eye, and hopefully the planets are aligned and it is not a full moon. THEN it will pop right off, LOL.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Every manual swap I've done, I've simply drilled the spot welds on the pedal and popped off the stamped metal that "extends" it to a wide pedal. Every auto pedal is secretly a manual pedal in disguise.
Noooo...

Do tell a bit more. Crayon sketch also useful.
cheers,
Douglas

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Every manual swap I've done, I've simply drilled the spot welds on the pedal and popped off the stamped metal that "extends" it to a wide pedal. Every auto pedal is secretly a manual pedal in disguise.
Same here. Just get a mirror and look on the backside of the auto pedal. You'll see the manual pedal hiding out. To be clear there are 4-5 spot welds as well as 2x fillet welds along the sides to cut out. The latter are more a pain than the former. But still easier than getting that damn brake pedal out....Brian's description is spot on.
It is one of those situations where you have to stick your tongue out a little, lift one leg, and squint one eye, and hopefully the planets are aligned and it is not a full moon. THEN it will pop right off, LOL.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Unless someone beats me to the punch, I'll take a photo on my next break lol

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

You can see the spot welds and then he shows a picture of the mirror - that shows the fillet welds you need to cut/grind off and then you can just knock off the big auto pedal.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The trick I made use of was taking a propane torch to the metal area that contains the plastic rod-holder for the brake booster plunger (or whatever it is). Soften up the plastic with heat (a heat gun might be safer than propane torch, but ya dance with who ya got at the time), then give the brake pedal a good solid yank back toward the driver seat....popped loose first attempt on both cars I tried it on. Plastic thing on the brake pedal even stayed intact (not that I had to use it - my manual pedal had a good one).

Got the idea from a youtube video. Basic run-through here:

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Well, I thank you gents for the suggestions and documentation. Something is going to happen this weekend... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took a photo of mine so you can see what it looks like post-wide pedal removal. I took the rubber pad off so you can see it. Putting the pad back on, can't tell it was modified.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took a photo of mine so you can see what it looks like post-wide pedal removal. I took the rubber pad off so you can see it. Putting the pad back on, can't tell it was modified.

What am I missing? Looks like a manual brake pedal that you drilled some holes in (I'm assuming to accept the pad?).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was an auto pedal, you drill the welds in the dimpled area, then you can remove the entire steel plate that vw put on there to widen it. Beneath the wide sheet steel is a manual pedal.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahhhh - I'd never pulled the rubber cover off to look at the metal underneath on an 01M's brake pedal.
Good move!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Thanks Nero, I attacked that pedal with rakes, picks, shovels and other implements of destruction and then applied a manual's brake pedal pad. No more putting self thru windshield when grabbing clutch for the first 1-2 shift... :)
cheers,
Douglas

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Ohhhh I like this mod……..gonna have to do this on my swapped car.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Before you get too happy, there is a 6th weld there on the left. I got my 5 top ones free and then just broke the pedal's cap off. Then tunred the remainder to dust...maybe Nero can shed some light on getting to that one while in-car.
cheers,
Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just grab it with vice grips then bend the weld back and forth until it snaps. First bend is usually a little challenging, but after a few back and forths it pops off.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
HA! that is how I dealt with it. Nice low carbon steel there; it took a bit of back and forth to get it separated. The remaining bit I turned to dust.
cheers,
Douglas