automatic transmission interchange

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
I'm working on a BHW Passat for a guy and the trans is dying. He's not got much for cash so I was wondering if the v6 trans will work. I searched and couldn't find any info on gear ratios or anything like that. I figure since the tcm is external it wouldnt have any shift point issues but I fear it will throw a fit about ratios if they're different. From what I remember all the zf transmissions had the same ratios but different final drives which is only a minor problem.

devon1996

TDI
08 A4 tdi swap
Well I answered my own question they're all the same trans with the only difference being the final drive

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
better do more research. The GMR for the Passat TDI is a different beast internal gearing wise. A V6 zf will bolt in but is different in all the gears. if he doesn't mind cruising at 3000 RPM on the Interstate instead of 2200, go for it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
You came to the right place to ask, quite a few members have used transmissions after they convert to manuals.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It will not work. As soon as you go to drive, the TCM will see the wrong ratios and put the trans into limp mode. It needs to be a GMR.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
curious if he tried the v6 tcm?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nope. The shift points and lockup strategy is all wrong. And I only know you cannot mix 'n match the 5HP transmissions and TCMs because I looked into it, and experimented. I was looking to put a BHW into my AWM 4Mo wagon, which had (and still does) a fully functional and working well maintained automatic that I wanted to continue to use. I was messing around with another AWM B5 I had, this one FWD, but that wouldn't have mattered. I was only using it as a test mule since I had part of the interior out already untooefing the car. If I plugged the TDI's TCM in, it would immediately go into limp mode.

So I looked around to see if I could have the TDI's TCM reprogrammed to the 1.8t's transmission's gear ratios, OR, reprogram the 1.8t's TCM to the shift strategy of the TDI's TCM. Could not find anyone that did that... and I found that odd since lots of Audis use these as well as many Porsches. I figured someone somewhere could do some software changes, but couldn't find anyone. And soft coding changes are not enough.