Automatic folding mirrors, installed, PICS/MOVIE

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
Power Folding Mirrors for Beetle?

Just up late goofing with ETKA after class... and looking for ways to blow the tax return... I found the Beetle had an option for this, too.

Mirror part numbers for LHD after 2003:
1C1 857 507 P (Left) (Q after 2005)
1C1 857 508 P (Right) (Q after 2005)
For RHD up to 2003 (not much use to me, but hey...):
1c2 857 507 D (S for '03-'05) (T after 2005)
1c2 857 508 C (S and T as above)
Window motors are the same of course... ;)

Questions: Has anyone seen these or know of someone who has done the mod on a Beetle? I think the mirror styles changed in the US earlier than ETKA shows (I think 2002 was the first year in the US for the newer style, but without the integrated turn signals - like mine)

A quick ebay.de search turned up nothing... at least for the mirror housings. Other goodies... well, that's another thread. :D

Any thoughts? Cheers!

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Nate_Grauvogel said:
Just up late goofing with ETKA after class... and looking for ways to blow the tax return... I found the Beetle had an option for this, too.

Mirror part numbers for LHD after 2003:
1C1 857 507 P (Left) (Q after 2005)
1C1 857 508 P (Right) (Q after 2005)
For RHD up to 2003 (not much use to me, but hey...):
1c2 857 507 D (S for '03-'05) (T after 2005)
1c2 857 508 C (S and T as above)
Window motors are the same of course... ;)

Questions: Has anyone seen these or know of someone who has done the mod on a Beetle? I think the mirror styles changed in the US earlier than ETKA shows (I think 2002 was the first year in the US for the newer style, but without the integrated turn signals - like mine)

A quick ebay.de search turned up nothing... at least for the mirror housings. Other goodies... well, that's another thread. :D

Any thoughts? Cheers!
strange, my parents beetle has the position in the mirror controll... but I've yet to figure out how to make em move.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
JetPuf said:
strange, my parents beetle has the position in the mirror controll... but I've yet to figure out how to make em move.
Someone has probably replaced the switch at some time and was supplied that version of switch from spare parts.

If you look on the option code sticker for one of these codes then you have folding mirrors fitted (these codes apply to all VW/Audi cars not just NB):

3AJ outer right rear view mirror: flat, powered, heated, electrically foldable
3AK outer right rear view mirror: non-spherical, powered, heated, electrically foldable
3AL outer right rear view mirror: convex, powered, heated, electrically foldable with US imprint
3BJ outer left rear view mirror: non-spherical, powered, heated, electrically foldable
3BK outer left rear view mirror: flat, powered, heated, electrically foldable

fuzion

But my question is, is it possible to install the mirrors and have them fold / folding stop/start on a seperate electronics timer instead of having to change all your motors in your two front doors to allow for this mod to work?

Im sure its very possible, isnt it? :)

im gonna have to look into it all a bit more when i got sometime. its a lot cheaper way of going by it

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
graeme86 said:
Someone has probably replaced the switch at some time and was supplied that version of switch from spare parts.

If you look on the option code sticker for one of these codes then you have folding mirrors fitted (these codes apply to all VW/Audi cars not just NB):

3AJ outer right rear view mirror: flat, powered, heated, electrically foldable
3AK outer right rear view mirror: non-spherical, powered, heated, electrically foldable
3AL outer right rear view mirror: convex, powered, heated, electrically foldable with US imprint
3BJ outer left rear view mirror: non-spherical, powered, heated, electrically foldable
3BK outer left rear view mirror: flat, powered, heated, electrically foldable
The replacement mirror switchs all have the mirror fold position now. I suspect it is a cost cutting measure, less different items to produce and stock.

clever dicky

My 4x4 Isuzu trooper does the mirror thing as standard. If you come accross one from the scrappy it would have all anyone would need.

One point which you may not realise, they dont go in very far / flat. is this right. And as this is a mod which you can install anyway you like have you considered wireing up to the ignition (sorry havent read every post so if its mentioned...)

From my experience it would be far better to do that as I always forget, jump out the car and then realise. Get back in fumble for the key, press the button. Such a pain.

If I were you, I would fit a small relay to say, a utility supply such as radio, then have them operate atomatically. Just a thought.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
fuzion said:
But my question is, is it possible to install the mirrors and have them fold / folding stop/start on a seperate electronics timer instead of having to change all your motors in your two front doors to allow for this mod to work?

Im sure its very possible, isnt it? :)

im gonna have to look into it all a bit more when i got sometime. its a lot cheaper way of going by it
I found some info on a German site with instructions on using the Audi folding mirror relay in a Golf, so it can be done. I am just trying to find it again!

Edit - found:http://www.carcajou.de/howto/spiegel.htm - Just babelfish it.

There is also quite a discussion in a forum here (in German):

http://www.vagboard.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4687&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&sid=06305f973ba82d16aab7b6e5e149d71d&page=1

Basically:
Get the relay from Audi A3.

Part number: 4A0 907 440

Connection as follows:
Pin 4 = Ignition contact 15a
Pin 5 = Motor for folding mirror (-) left/right

Pin 6 = Earth
Pin 8 = Motor for folding mirror (+) left/right
Pin 12 = Switch for Folding Mirror
Pin 14 = Switch for end of folding point (microswitch) in mirror left/right

The Audi mirrors work off a separate relay in the fuse box.

You can also just put in a DPDT toggle switch some where!

By the way, how involved is swapping over the innards of the electric control unit to create a "Frankenmotor"?

Does the black module just get swapped over with the printed circuit in it and is there any soldering involved e.g. to the wires of the actual electric motor part? I assume there must be some sort of connection to the actual motor.

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Bring this back up to see if anyone is having the same problem.

I finally installed my right hand folding stubby and it folds and adjust in sync with the left hand mirror, etc.

The problem I am having is that it will not do anything when I put it in reverse.

I followed the instructions in the manual. Set the seat and the mirrors; Saved it to a button. Put the car in reverse and adjusted the right mirror; Saved it to the same button. Save the button to the remote.

Leave the switch on the right hand position; Put the car in reverse. Nada. :(

If I change the seat adjustment and close and then open the door with the remote the seat adjusts and the left hand mirror moves to the correct position but the right doesn't and no reverse dip with the switch to the right. :(

I have to be missing something in the wiring but I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread to get the folding to work. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Color me embarrased. :eek::eek::eek:

When I installed all the wiring for the folding function, (weeks ago), I ran out of repair wires so I never ran the memory wires. :rolleyes: (which btw I have completly documented with pin assignments and wire sizes but that I haven't posted yet)

I forgot all about that so I never order the wires I needed so once I figured it out I still don't have the memory working since I still need to order the repair wires. :rolleyes::eek:;)

Last edited:

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Has anyone ever had luck getting replies from wrecking yards on car-part.com? I have been trying to source the Passat window motors now for several weeks and I have sent a TON of e-mails yet I have received one 1 line reply from a wrecking yard in New Jersey.

I don't know if it's me or if the car-part website is really out of whack.....so if anyone has some Passat motors that would work and they want to part with them...please let me know!

Thanks;

Peter

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Occams_Razor said:
Bring this back up to see if anyone is having the same problem.

I finally installed my right hand folding stubby and it folds and adjust in sync with the left hand mirror, etc.

The problem I am having is that it will not do anything when I put it in reverse.

I followed the instructions in the manual. Set the seat and the mirrors; Saved it to a button. Put the car in reverse and adjusted the right mirror; Saved it to the same button. Save the button to the remote.

Leave the switch on the right hand position; Put the car in reverse. Nada. :(

If I change the seat adjustment and close and then open the door with the remote the seat adjusts and the left hand mirror moves to the correct position but the right doesn't and no reverse dip with the switch to the right. :(

I have to be missing something in the wiring but I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread to get the folding to work. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Color me embarrased. :eek::eek::eek:

When I installed all the wiring for the folding function, (weeks ago), I ran out of repair wires so I never ran the memory wires. :rolleyes: (which btw I have completly documented with pin assignments and wire sizes but that I haven't posted yet)

I forgot all about that so I never order the wires I needed so once I figured it out I still don't have the memory working since I still need to order the repair wires. :rolleyes::eek:;)
Is it possible to setup the mirrors so that if you have a car without power memory seats, but still equipped with power folding mirrors to tilt the mirror down when you shift into reverse, or is the memory function required for this as well?

Thanks;

Peter

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
digifant_gli said:
Has anyone ever had luck getting replies from wrecking yards on car-part.com? I have been trying to source the Passat window motors now for several weeks and I have sent a TON of e-mails yet I have received one 1 line reply from a wrecking yard in New Jersey.

I don't know if it's me or if the car-part website is really out of whack.....so if anyone has some Passat motors that would work and they want to part with them...please let me know!

Thanks;

Peter
If you wait a few days, codes should be posted on this site to allow you to reprogram your existing motors with VDS-Pro program. ;) No need to get new window motors:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=165724

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
The chip is still cheaper than buying new power window motors... For sure that with the chips (existing in any broken power window motor) and the coding it will work! We will know soon...

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi, please could you say me if: 1C1 959 802 C is the same than 1C0 959 802 C (compatible) for my golf 2003?

Thanks a lot
regards
Chris

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Baleyba said:
Kennedy> On the movie, Do you control folding mirror with remote ?
Only way mirror folds is via the switch on the driver's door. There is no remote availible to activate the folding mirrors far as I'm aware.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
ok thanks.

And whatr about compatibility of 1c1959802C part number ?
Please says me if it is compatible.

regards
Bal.

ward1e

TDI
2002 Mk4 Golf SE
Hi,

I just wondered if anybody with the power folding mirrors can post any photos of the mechanism similar to the ones that have already been posted without the power folding mechanism. I'm curious to see exactly how they work inside because I'm having some real trouble trying to source some Passat motorised folding mirrors in the UK from breakers here. So I'm just wanting to explore alternatives but it would really help to see some pictures of the oem mechanism.

Thanks

Ben

rudeboymcc

TDI
Bora
k I've read the whole thread but there's still something I'm not sure about.

If you don't have memory seats (so basically all i want is folding mirrors, no reverse function) is it not possible to install the mirors with their own circuit?

The motor is in the mirror, the microswitch telling it when to stop is in the mirror, so if I just wire this up to its own fuse surely I can get them to fold?

possible?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
rudeboymcc said:
k I've read the whole thread but there's still something I'm not sure about.

If you don't have memory seats (so basically all i want is folding mirrors, no reverse function) is it not possible to install the mirors with their own circuit?

The motor is in the mirror, the microswitch telling it when to stop is in the mirror, so if I just wire this up to its own fuse surely I can get them to fold?

possible?
From the first post:

kennedy said:
Wiring in the memory fuction is an adventure I'll do later, as the memory function is controlled by the memory seat controller...
Chris only did the folding mirrors. He did not have memory seats in his car.

rudeboymcc

TDI
Bora
ok That doesn't really answer my question. I understand that from the factory the window motors have the electrics that control the folding mirrors. My question is can you do this without the electrics in the window motors? by just making a diy circuit for the folding mirrors. or do hte electrics HAVE to be there?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
rudeboymcc said:
ok That doesn't really answer my question. I understand that from the factory the window motors have the electrics that control the folding mirrors. My question is can you do this without the electrics in the window motors? by just making a diy circuit for the folding mirrors. or do hte electrics HAVE to be there?
There are 2 circuits involved.

1) each mirror has the folding motors integrated in its base, (no real electronics as far as I could see), and limit switches to tell the mirror when to stop folding or when it is already folded or open as the case may be.

2) each window lift motor has the electronics to control the folding of the mirrors and send, (and maybe store), the position of the mirrors for the memory controller.

No special window motor no factory type folding, (only fold when there there is a "safe" circuit; limit the travel automatically with the limit switches; etc)

Can you wire something through a sepearate circuit and just control the folding of the mirrors manually without the intervention of the electronics in the window motors? Probably, (the wires to the actual folding motors didn't look THAT complicated to figure out), but you may be the first to try it that way.

rudeboymcc

TDI
Bora
becuase the wires from the mirrors are just connected to the microswitches and the motor, it's very simple to make a circuit that moves the motor and disables it if a microswitch is used. I'm not sure about one-touch operation (i.e. the fold switch will have to be held until the mirrors have finished moving) but does the OEM setup do this? If it doesn't then it's an easy feature to add with a capacitor.

The only thing I can think of now that may be a problem is the folding button. does this send the signal to the CCM or is it wired straight to the window motor in the door? If it goes in to the CCM then it will have to be hacked to get a signal out to the diy circuit. But hacking it can't be to hard and they are available on ebay if anything goes wrong.

Just thinking out loud instead of revising!

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
rudeboymcc said:
becuase the wires from the mirrors are just connected to the microswitches and the motor, it's very simple to make a circuit that moves the motor and disables it if a microswitch is used. I'm not sure about one-touch operation (i.e. the fold switch will have to be held until the mirrors have finished moving) but does the OEM setup do this? If it doesn't then it's an easy feature to add with a capacitor.

The only thing I can think of now that may be a problem is the folding button. does this send the signal to the CCM or is it wired straight to the window motor in the door? If it goes in to the CCM then it will have to be hacked to get a signal out to the diy circuit. But hacking it can't be to hard and they are available on ebay if anything goes wrong.

The folding switch just rotates to the "fold" position. If it sees a "safe" signal it folds the mirrors.

It is not a push and hold switch.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
rudeboymcc said:
There is a way. You will still need the proper folding mirror housings of course, but Audi use a separate relay instead of going thru the window motors. I posted up some info in another thread some on this site - just can't find it at the moment.I have quite a bit of info on the mod saved on my computer - just PM me your email and I can send you some. (most is in German unfortunately - but part numbers and photos speak all languages:) )

Relay is 4A0 907 440 (Fits on 1998 A4) - Just some simple wiring from relay to switch and mirrors and you are golden.​

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
rudeboymcc said:

Hi

Just to say we can monitor the state of the mirror switch in a vagcom channel (modul 46).
So, this signal seems going to the ccm from the switch.

But the problem is when the key is removed from the ignition and when a door is open, the sliding roof and the folding mirror don't work because the ccm disable feature.

So, the ccm should send folding command and switched 12v to be able to remote control miror...

Not easy..

regards
Bal.