Auto turning over but not starting

delvey

TDI
90 BHP
Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm from the UK. I have a 2000 MK4 Golf with the 4 speed (I believe) automatic, 90BHP (ALH I believe) 1.9 TDI
A few months back my misses was driving to work in the car when it started making a funny noise (her words). She turned the engine off and I got it recovered. I noticed the auxiliary belt had snapped so replaced that with the tensioner. The car still wouldn't turn over so I had the starter motor tested and replaced as it was dead.
The vehicle now turns over but will not start. I have cracked the fuel injector and fuel spits out on all 4 cylinders. So I don't think it's a fuel issue.
I'm thinking the timing belt may have slipped. I've taken the cover and examined it while turning the car and it seems to be all good.
Could this be the cause for not starting? What's the easiest way to check?
I've also noticed the brake pedal no longer needs to be pressed for the car to attempt to start. I'm sure I had to do this in the past.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The best way is to line up all your timing marks with the proper tools and see if all the pins go in

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The drive plate has a mark on it for TDC. It looks like a small circle with a line through it. The edge of the circle will be just touching the lower edge of the window in the transmission case through which you can see it. Turn the engine by hand to align.

Now use an inspection mirror to look at the slot in the pump pulley. You should be able to fully see the locking pin hole.

The camshaft alignment would require removing the vacuum pump and see if the locking tool fits into the slot. You need to remove the valve cover too if you have the original style locking tool.

You do not need to press the brake pedal to start it, but you do need to press the pedal to put it in gear.

delvey

TDI
90 BHP
The drive plate has a mark on it for TDC. It looks like a small circle with a line through it. The edge of the circle will be just touching the lower edge of the window in the transmission case through which you can see it. Turn the engine by hand to align.

Now use an inspection mirror to look at the slot in the pump pulley. You should be able to fully see the locking pin hole.

The camshaft alignment would require removing the vacuum pump and see if the locking tool fits into the slot. You need to remove the valve cover too if you have the original style locking tool.

You do not need to press the brake pedal to start it, but you do need to press the pedal to put it in gear.
Thanks for the information. The UK weather isn't great and I have no access to an indoor work area but I'll have a look asap

delvey

TDI
90 BHP
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum torque and break the auto could take?
And what would be needed to swap the engine for a 130 or 150 bhp?