Auto trunk lock fixed

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
The trunk unlocked by pushing the button in the console however sometimes it would not unlock by pushing the button on trunk lid. took the trunk cover off. I lubricated and closed the trunk and it worked fine a couple of times then quit opening. I thought it might be the vacuum plunger. In the end, I guess road vibrations had loosened the 2 screws that secure the lock cylinder to the trunk. That little movement caused the mechanism to not quite move enough to engage the unlock button. If you have a problem check your mounting screws. Both sides were loose on mine.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Good to know. I have the issue where the cabin-side lock button won't always pop the trunk. Sometimes takes a couple presses before the latch unlocks. Not sure what the fix would be?

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
perhaps it just needs to be lubricated. Mine does some really strange things like light up the instrument cluster around odometer when I press that button, as well as light up the brake lights and maybe make the license plate lights dim IIRC.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I think I have to open up the wiring harness and follow it back until I find the problem.