Auto Transmission doesn't like reverse

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
Auto Transmission doesn\'t like reverse

egad, what fun. 2001 Jetta, sometimes when shifting to reverse after starting up, it won't catch, its almost like it is stuck in park. The car will go into drive just fine. I'm very worried, 117,000km on it so its over the drive train warranty. what should I do?

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
Re: Auto Transmission doesn\'t like reverse

the car will eventually go into reverse if I put it in park and try again. When it does catch it is smoothe, not jarred like, so no gears are grinding (thank god) any help would be appreciated!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

The possibility is that it needs a fluid and filter change. That might restore the shifting. I know of a case that started experiencing shifting into reverse problems, downshift oddness coming to a stoplight, or slow to engage when starting to move forward was all resolved with a fluid and filter change.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige

I don't mean to alarm you, but I just went through this in October with my '02 at about 68,000 miles.

I wasn't lucky enough to get off with a fluid/filter change - I got bent over for a whole trans, VW style.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

Rob