Auto trans re-install

OMALLEY_808

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
Hey all! I've been a longtime TDICLUB member and still have my 06 BRM but I was working on a new project 2016 TSI on the weekend and know that this forum is a better resource than most!

I'm reinstalling the 6 speed auto on a 1.4L TSI and wanted to just double check a couple things. First off I was kind of surprised to see a torque converter when I split the engine from the trans (I though all newer VW was DSG).

I am trying to reinstall the trans wanted to double check with you guys the proper procedure. There is two index notches on the shaft of the torque converter where it goes inside the trans but do I have to be specific on where these line up? I struggled with trying to get the trans on before running out of time. I had 2 bolts in but is didnt seem to want to pop on and I didn't want to force anything.

Any help would be appreciated!:D

OMALLEY_808

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
Well after more research looks like this trans uses a torque converter similar to the 01M days! So the torque converter needs to be properly seated into the transmission and the pump fully engaged on the TC. Then the trans can be bolted to the engine and the 3 TC studs lined up on the flex plate with the nuts installed through the access hole.

What a PITA! Didn't expect this new of a VW product to have a conventional trans on it!