Auto Trans - 2005 Passat TDI wagon / Manual Trans Chat

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
Well, reverse finally quit on my wagon. I could install a reman transmission, but it's stretching my budget and the car is barely worth it at 300k miles...

Posted a want ad here:

Open to other ideas too. Manual swap is an option if it's cost effective and parts are available.

If I could find a decent used transmission with decent provenance that would appeal to me.

Gerald

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Best of luck. Hard to find good working GMRs these days.

Decent number of these cars in the bone yards, but the reason is usually a dead transmission...

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
5 speed conversion is cheaper enough if you can diy. I'm currently looking for a cheap/clean TDI b5.5 wagon with bad motor or trans. They are not as common as they used to be

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
You mean they used to be MORE common? I see a couple at any one time on FB marketplace. At least around here. Almost always a trans problem. There's 3 in my yard. 2 of them were $500. All run.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I have found 3 clean sedans for 400-1200 bucks. I've yet to find a clean wagon with bad slush box for that range. I don't look as often as I should.

yadic

TDI
just looking
Well, reverse finally quit on my wagon. I could install a reman transmission, but it's stretching my budget and the car is barely worth it at 300k miles...

Posted a want ad here:

Open to other ideas too. Manual swap is an option if it's cost effective and parts are available.

If I could find a decent used transmission with decent provenance that would appeal to me.

Gerald
신용카드 현금화
I need help My TDI transmission is slipping. Could there be simple fix or is it transmission overhaul time?

binsr

TDI
'12 Golf TDI DSG; bhw waiting for a new home

Posted a want ad here:

Gerald
I have a reman ZF auto that works that I’m going to sell. It’s in my 05 220k wagon right now. But it’s my project car and I’m either going to manual swap it or just pull the bhw, either way I’m not keeping the transmission. What’s your budget?

BSgmrTDI

TDI
Passat
5 speed conversion is cheaper enough if you can diy. I'm currently looking for a cheap/clean TDI b5.5 wagon with bad motor or trans. They are not as common as they used to be
I have a passat with bad gmr, u have manual swap kit? Or would you be intrested?
Where are you located?

ElevenBee

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI 5-speed wagon, 2005 VW Passat wagon
I have a reman ZF auto that works that I’m going to sell. It’s in my 05 220k wagon right now. But it’s my project car and I’m either going to manual swap it or just pull the bhw, either way I’m not keeping the transmission. What’s your budget?
I’m looking for one, what are you asking for this? I’m currently deployed so my only caveat is that I’d be asking you to hold it until October/November time frame.

gmar8099

TDI
2005 VW Passat TDI GLS Wagon
I bought a 2004 Passat with the FHN transmission conversion already done. It had a failed CV axle.

Isn't it correct that CV axles for a gas B5 Passat should work on these? @oilhammer you're the pro here ;-)

I bought a set of GSP new shafts (yeah, I know, cheapo) to get the car mobile.

The left shaft (NCV23587) seems to work fine. But the right shaft (NCV23588) appears too short. After installing, the inboard plunge joint pulled apart enough to spin free of the inboard joint housing.

Any ideas? Do I have a boxed wrong shaft?

Edit: Actually, I'm beginning to suspect we have them swapped - this is my son's project - Maybe the longer one goes on the RH side?

GM

Last edited: