Auto to manual

77vette88

TDI
New to Vw tdi game and I'm sure my questions have been covered but. I just bought my dads 02 jetta with a blown motor a/t from my dad . And then I picked up a 03 jetta tdi 5 spd that was totaled .
I'm looking at swapping the 02 to manual I started reading the project kill da auto rabbit but there's a lot to read
Swapping motor and 5 spd parts aren't my issue it toward the electrical . Can I swap in the 5 speed harness and ecu and be good to go or do I need to rewrite the auto harness to work with it any info and advise would be great

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe it would be better to leave the ECU in the chassis and recode it to manual transmission. If you swap ECU you need to have an Immobilizer delete done or it will shut the engine down immediately after start up. The recode can be easily done with simple common VCDS software, where as the immobilizer delete has to be sent out. And to do it right, the instrument cluster should also get work to prevent the immobilizer light from staying on even though it's deleted.
Then there is also the possibility that the ECU between 2002/2003 isn't going to swap and work. Some place in these years they started the CanBus system, but I'm not sure if your years are affected.

77vette88

TDI
Thanks. I know some things about vws I worked in a private garage for 3 years and my boss used to be an Audi Vw tech but there are lots I have forgotten since then . I know audis/vws are sensitive to electrical and programming that's why I'm asking

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
If you move the ECU, cluster & RFID from the donor to the receipent, you should avoid any IMMO issues. Or spend $50-75 and have the ECU IMMO defeated.

Having both complete vehicles should be a big help.

77vette88

TDI
Thank you maxmoo I'll read up on that one

Thanks rexnico I was hoping there wasn't too much difference between the 02 03 and thigs could just easily swap like that but I wasn't sure I know vws are specific with the way parts are

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
New to Vw tdi game and I'm sure my questions have been covered but. I just bought my dads 02 jetta with a blown motor a/t from my dad . And then I picked up a 03 jetta tdi 5 spd that was totaled .
I'm looking at swapping the 02 to manual I started reading the project kill da auto rabbit but there's a lot to read
Swapping motor and 5 spd parts aren't my issue it toward the electrical . Can I swap in the 5 speed harness and ecu and be good to go or do I need to rewrite the auto harness to work with it any info and advise would be great
exact combo I have 2003 5 speed dead motor and 2002 auto. But I just did a transcooler on the 2002 auto and that thing runs cool and without any sign of issues for now. but I will listen to the input. I think you need to do some work with the glow plugs for the 5 speed as well.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
No need to chance ECU. Waste of time.

You will want to modify the automatic harness via the instructions online.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't the radios need to be re-coded when they get swapped?
Radios need to have the unlock code entered into them every time after a radio swap into a different vehicle (and each time power is disconnected/reset), but how does a radio swap enter into a tranny/engine swap?

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
All you need is to recode with VAG COM the ECU and pull out the Auto trans module. There is other stuff with the wires you need to do by reading the write ups that were well done. I did one swap and just left the cruise control option off because I didn't care. I think that was the only wire issue on the ECU but it has been a while.
Otherwise you need to swap ECU, cluster, key and radio or recode radio if you want it to work. Then you still might have issues with the comfort control module talking right to the can bus. The CCM can bus is connected to the cluster on the later MK4's. I am dealing with that on another post and it gets very complicated during certain years like the ones you have. Things like windows quit working with the new and old can bus systems connected - what I am dealing with.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You definitely do not want to mess with swapping ECU/harness.

I did a gasser auto to manual diesel swap once and the most "changes" I had to make wiring-wise had more to do with installing a manual engine harness than with the gas to diesel business.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
Subscribed... I did this to my 03 wagon last fall. Very fun swap! I enjoyed doing it. I just recoded the ECU. I did not change the harness or anything else. I did throw out the TCU. I didnt have VCDS, I recoded with OBD11. The first few minutes of this video I made cover the re-code process....its very simple. The cruise control wiring is probably the most intimidating part and its not that bad. Good luck to you sir and please post pictures! We like Pictures! Update us on your progress. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHd8m2siHM&t=906s

77vette88

TDI
Haven't gotten that far with the swap kinda waiting for my current dd car to sell and then drop a motor in my mr2 while in the back building the tdi. but I pulled the engine and tranny out of the 03 tore out interior and some other odds n ends .
Pressure washed the engine
Have been doing some research and found out injector plugs are different between 03 and 02 .
Alternator is a higher amp alternator on the manual then the auto.
Auto has 11mm injection pump and manual has 10mm pump
I'm gunna need axels because one axel is no good so trying to decide if vr6 axel swap is a good idea.
Looking at clutches think I'm going for a south bend daily quiet clutch
Looking into timing belt r placement saw on kerma tdi they sell a bolt kit with there 100k timing belt . Worndering if that's nessisary or not to replace bolts .
Looking into the kerma intake manifold for $350 think it would be a nice upgrade over stock
Also looking into sending out the injectors to be rebuillt and upgraded .
I don't wanna go crazy just want a slightly upgraded bullet proof daily

Will prolly be putting the 03 injectors up for sale . Auto alternator, and auto tranny I know it was rebuilt before my dad bought the car and blew the motor . Still waiting to bring the other jetta to my house . Need to move out the dd and doner car befor I can bring the 02 jetta home

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Haven't gotten that far with the swap kinda waiting for my current dd car to sell and then drop a motor in my mr2 while in the back building the tdi. but I pulled the engine and tranny out of the 03 tore out interior and some other odds n ends .
Pressure washed the engine
Have been doing some research and found out injector plugs are different between 03 and 02 .
Alternator is a higher amp alternator on the manual then the auto.
Auto has 11mm injection pump and manual has 10mm pump
I'm gunna need axels because one axel is no good so trying to decide if vr6 axel swap is a good idea.
Looking at clutches think I'm going for a south bend daily quiet clutch
Looking into timing belt r placement saw on kerma tdi they sell a bolt kit with there 100k timing belt . Worndering if that's nessisary or not to replace bolts .
Looking into the kerma intake manifold for $350 think it would be a nice upgrade over stock
Also looking into sending out the injectors to be rebuillt and upgraded .
I don't wanna go crazy just want a slightly upgraded bullet proof daily

Will prolly be putting the 03 injectors up for sale . Auto alternator, and auto tranny I know it was rebuilt before my dad bought the car and blew the motor . Still waiting to bring the other jetta to my house . Need to move out the dd and doner car befor I can bring the 02 jetta home
Here's some thoughts from someone who's gone through the auto to manual swap.
My 90 amp alternator was replaced long ago with the 120 amp when the original died. Ran fine with the auto trans.

Yes, the plugs are different between '02 and '03 injectors, but the different plugs can be spliced onto the injector, if needed.

Automatic cars had the 11mm pump and manual cars came with the 10mm pump. That is true. The auto injectors, though, came with smaller nozzles than the manual cars. It was that way for emissions, I think. Manual nozzles with automatic fuel pump is a good performance upgrade for a stock car. Even if you don't swap injectors right away, you can still run with the original auto injector nozzles. The car will run just fine. It's totally up to you, whether or not to send the injectors out for refurb.

You will need to change axles, anyhow, because the axle flange on the transmission is a different size. The auto flange is larger than the manual flange.

Since my car is stock, I went with a stock setup for my clutch. I also went with a single mass flywheel instead of the stock dual mass flywheel. I gut the Sachs quiet kit from IDParts that has everything needed to install a new clutch, including the single mass flywheel.

Yes, get the bolt kit. IIRC, most, if not all, of those bolts are supposed to be single use TTY (Torque to yield) bolts that stretch slightly when properly torqued.

Some of the parts needed for the swap can come from gas cars. Clutch pedal assembly and shifter assembly are the same between gas and diesel cars. You will need to wire in both of the clutch pedal switches. One of the switches is for the cruise control, and the other one is a starter interlock switch. If it's working properly, you won't be able to start the car without pushing the clutch pedal. The starter switch has a separate mounting plate that is not always included with the clutch pedal. It can sometimes be found at a salvage yard. I've pulled a couple during some of my yard visits, so I have a couple extras.

I think that's about it for now. Hope that info helps you out a bit.

Oh, before I forget it, the transmission controller doesn't even need to be removed from the vehicle. Just disconnect it by pulling the plug out. Simply doing that removes it from the system.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
$350 for an intake manifold that won't be of benefit (unless you're going to be looking to push a lot of power), isn't anything that I'd recommend. Money would be better spent elsewhere, such as with nozzles/injector work, which leads me to...

Nozzles on 01m cars are smaller. It's a pairing with the larger IP (ECU mapping is likely different as well). Optimal is to up-size the nozzles a bit and get a mild tune: at least have things remapped for the components you'll be running.

Here's the best source for swaps:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=344473

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I did an auto-manual swap....Im running sprint nozzles with the 11mm pump and a stage 3 tune and it runs good! I ran it without the tune for awhile and it was a noticeable difference with just the nozzles. It did smoke a bit at WOT. Still smokes at WOT with the tune but it has a lot more power.

77vette88

TDI
Ok so I sold my car so now I can really get into this build. I keep reading about stretch bolts I wanna replace the clutch and stuff but can I replace the stretch bolths with regular bolts or keep with the torque to yeilds . Or just re used the bolts I take out .
I just gotta keep reading thru the the threads about the wiriing. Thanks in advance for the help

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
TTY bolts are 1 time torque.
Do you want to take a chance with bolt problems with the flywheel coming loose?
Same for the engine mounts.
Could be funny if the engine drops down going down the highway. :eek:
I'm not that adventurous.
You're doing a major conversion, don't cut corners.

77vette88

TDI
Flywheel /clutch bolts I will buy new .
Well I guess what I'm asking is like motor mount bolts and trans bolts etc can u replace them with bolts from the hardware store so you no longer have tty bolts or just buy new tty bolts

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And also the "stretch" factor they have built into them (TTY bolts) keeps the proper tension on parts to keep them tight. No thread locker or lock washers required. Properly torqued, they don't come loose. Engine/transaxle mount bolts as well as clutch/flywheel parts are stuff you don't need to come apart or fall down later.

Last edited:

77vette88

TDI
Finally got the new car to the house now time to tear into it . The wife wants to keep it auto so she can drive it too but idk if I'm interested in keeping it like that . So auto tranny for sale it is
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
I just finished this same swap from an 02 manual into an 03 auto wagon. Everything bolts in easily, clutch pedal bolts in and works perfect. Wiring took a bit to do but fairly straight forward. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Just make sure you ha e the pigtails for the reverse switch and neutral? switch (the I be on the shift tower). Otherwise you should be golden. Buddy's wagon is a screamer now with the manual, 3 inch exhaust and a kerma tune.