auto to 5 speed swap questions

pfiermka

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black TDI
The slush box bit the dust sunday, so here comes the change.....

I found a couple of 5 speed trannys with the code EGR and EBJ, which is better?
It would be just the tranny, no top mount, or wiring harness, axles. They have an EGR with 202,000 and they have a EBJ with 188,000 either is $500.
Does anyone know where I can find the top mount, and wiring harness?

I called all the junk yards around here and no one has any diesels jettas or golfs. Will the wiring harness from a gasser work? I can get the axles from the same place as the tranny for $100 ea. I am also looking for the pedal and parts, shifter and linkage, any ideas?
Any sources for parts would be helpful. I found the clutch on here, thanks for that and I have used www.car-parts.com to find the tranny , and used www.worldimpex.com for parts, thanks for those as well.

Thanks,
ken

VATechTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 Silver (RIP!)
a related question on selecting a junked transmission-- is there a preferable "cause of death" for the donor vehicle? for example, is one wrecked in a rear-end collision better or worse than one totalled by side impact or front impact?

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
From "best" to worst I'd say this is the order [and why]

1. Rearend collision. [Odds are the donor vehicle was stopped w/ trans in neutral or clutch out]

2. Side collision*. [odds are donor was moving, but deceleration was not super fast in the forward direction, minimal driveline shock]

3. Oblique frontend*. [effects somewhere in-between 2 & 3]

4. Frontend collision. [odds are the donor was moving and deceleration was fast so lots of potential for shock to trans internals through driveline; plus a much greater chance of being physically stressed from misallignments in mounting]

*Avoid anything that has damage to front wheel area from the side direction, this means half-shafts pushed into the trans. very hard during the wreck.

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
pfiermka said:
The slush box bit the dust sunday, so here comes the change.....

I found a couple of 5 speed trannys with the code EGR and EBJ, which is better?
It would be just the tranny, no top mount, or wiring harness, axles. They have an EGR with 202,000 and they have a EBJ with 188,000 either is $500.
Does anyone know where I can find the top mount, and wiring harness?

I called all the junk yards around here and no one has any diesels jettas or golfs. Will the wiring harness from a gasser work? I can get the axles from the same place as the tranny for $100 ea. I am also looking for the pedal and parts, shifter and linkage, any ideas?
Any sources for parts would be helpful. I found the clutch on here, thanks for that and I have used www.car-parts.com to find the tranny , and used www.worldimpex.com for parts, thanks for those as well.

Thanks,
ken
As far as tranny coding it doesn't matter most of them are EGR ones. I would get tranny with less then 100k fair price range is $600-800 with low mileage. Transmission with 180k is due for rebuilt so doesn't worth to spend $$ for it. PM me and I will send list of parts needed for swap and where to get them, I just had second swap done in this month.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Ok, I will send you guys list of parts needed later tonight, now I have to get back to finish rewiring harness for current swap.