Auto -> 5Sp Swap

puredata

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2003 Wagon
OK, so I took the plunge and did a 5sp swap on my wagon.

Installed with the swap was a new Sachs G60/VR6 Clutch and Flywheel kit.

Donor parts (tranny/axles/etc) came from my 2000 TDI.

Original car (2000 Sedan) did not have ESP. Car that swap was done on (2003 Wagon) does have ESP.

Since swap, ESP light is on. What do I need to code to correct the ESP (Note: I do NOT want to disable ESP, I want to code it to work correctly).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think you just need to recode the ABS module for a manual gearbox. See what ross-tech's ABS coding page has to say.

edit: I looked, didn't see anything about a gearbox option, just brake packages, suspension, etc.

Have you scanned the ABS module for faults?

Last edited:

puredata

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2003 Wagon
Not yet, I am picking the car up this afternoon. The mechanic who did the swap (I gave him the printout for 'project kill da auto wabbit') mentioned that the article dropped off in saying anything about the ESP, so he assumed it would be a coding issue as well, so I was just hoping for insight that I could either pass along or do myself later.

ESP was working perfectly before the swap.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I've never had to recode the abs module on an MKIV PD swap....maybe the engine isn't coded correctly(least likely) or he may not have the speed sensor wiring completed (most likely)

puredata

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2003 Wagon
'03 is not PD. He found something (unknown what) and adjusted in vag com, everything is reset, no lights, and everything working. As I mentioned in original post, clutch was done at same time as swap. Everything sends smooth and engages properly (and car performs nicely now! ), but clutch feels extremely light. No slipping or anything, but almost completely no pedal feel in clutch-is this normal?

Overlooked on the swap: it did not mention to change the brake pedal, so it wasn't swapped. The automatic pedal is huge beside the clutch! I might need to go back and have it swapped as well.