Austin, TX mechanic suggestions?

miahone

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
1st post!!!

I drive a 2012 VW Golf TDI, and i just recently broke the 100,000 mile marker. The dealer in Albuquerque said that at 100k I need to replace my timing belt. I just moved to Austin this week, and I am looking for a mechanic that can help me with this.

aktartt

TDI
2000 Golf
Do not use European Motorwerks. They replaced the timing belt on my 2000 Golf last summer and for weeks afterward I had an intermittent No Start problem. I kept taking it back to them and it never occurred to them to check the timing, which turned out to be way out of spec. Unfortunately, the shop that discovered this has since closed. Just this week an acquaintance told me that she had been using Northwest Imports for work on her Golf (GTI, I think, not a diesel) and thinks they are good and honest. I'm going to try them soon. Good luck. And please post a recommendation if you find a good TDI mechanic!

gabbro

TDI
2003 Jetta
Definitely missing runonbeer

I'm thinking about trying Hill Country European Autoworks in Dripping Springs. Has anyone taken a tdi to them?

http://www.hceuro.com/

runonbeer, glad to see recent post! If you go to the Outer Banks, the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke to Hatteras is a lot of fun.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'm thinking about trying Hill Country European Autoworks in Dripping Springs. Has anyone taken a tdi to them?

http://www.hceuro.com/

runonbeer, glad to see recent post! If you go to the Outer Banks, the ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke to Hatteras is a lot of fun.
I just checked their website and, under their VW service listings, they offer "Ablue Diesel Fluid Refill Service"... :rolleyes:

gabbro

TDI
2003 Jetta
I just checked their website and, under their VW service listings, they offer "Ablue Diesel Fluid Refill Service"... :rolleyes:

Lol. Yes, it doesn't inspire confidence. I need an oil change and air conditioning service. It was 105 today and my a/c went out last week.

Thanks above for the San Antonio lead(!) I will contact him.

I've got an appointment this week in Dripping. I'll see if I can work with them and I'll pass along what I learn.

Robbie trained Lance. Robbie did a good job training Lance. Lance did my timing belt. Anyone know what happened to Lance?

LP@TDC

TDI
ALH wagon beast, AKA: Torchy
Hi, all! This is Lance. Yes, Robby trained the crap out of me and did a pretty awesome job!! I wish him the best!

Since the shutdown of Meyerhoff, I relocated to NE Texas. Emory, to be precise. I'm 250 miles from ATX, but I have all my tools and equipment and know-how.

I am still working on TDI's in my tiny, yet well-equipped shop.

Sorry to make this brief, but I have to head out of town at this very moment. I'll be back around. Not sure the proper procedure to getting my contact info available to anyone looking, but I'm sure a PM will suffice.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I haven't used them for a TB but he is a long time VW dealer mechanic now with his own shop. They are located in North Georgetown. I have used him for other things with satisfactory results. Talk with him and decide for yourself.

Kevin's Auto Shop.
(512) 508-5141

or

https://www.germanautocenter.com/service/austin-volkswagen-service/

or either dealer Maund or Hewlett.

There really is no one left like Robby was that I know of.

Last edited:

97passat

TDI
97 Passat 266K (RIP little go-cart) , 2013 Jetta Sportwagen 24K
Motormania, Inc.
10208 Ranch Road 620 N.
Austin, TX 78726-2200
(512) 331-0877

I discovered these guys a few months ago. I only wish I had found them earlier in life. I wouldn't make this recommendation if I didn't trust them. And I wouldn't trust them if I hadn't received stellar customer service and quality repair work. Rodger and his crew are truly an exception here in Austin where quality VW shops are far and few between and most seem to suddenly go out of business... Every step of the way Rodger offered prompt callbacks, with solid communication regarding the repairs needed (front right tie rod, both inner and outer) and also some high dollar work which he told me was NOT needed. (CVs, and struts, because I thought the whole front end was screwed) This guy actually turned down work I suggested because he said it wasn't necessary. -(and then clearly stated why it wasn't necessary until I understood the real problem with the front end) Name another mechanic in town who will walk away from a cash sale based upon principle and honesty. I realize it's quite a drive for most Austinites, however it's worth making the effort. -The owner and crew are good people with integrity, a trait truly unheard of in the auto repair business.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Motormania, Inc.
10208 Ranch Road 620 N.
Austin, TX 78726-2200
(512) 331-0877

I discovered these guys a few months ago. I only wish I had found them earlier in life. I wouldn't make this recommendation if I didn't trust them. And I wouldn't trust them if I hadn't received stellar customer service and quality repair work. Rodger and his crew are truly an exception here in Austin where quality VW shops are far and few between and most seem to suddenly go out of business... Every step of the way Rodger offered prompt callbacks, with solid communication regarding the repairs needed (front right tie rod, both inner and outer) and also some high dollar work which he told me was NOT needed. (CVs, and struts, because I thought the whole front end was screwed) This guy actually turned down work I suggested because he said it wasn't necessary. -(and then clearly stated why it wasn't necessary until I understood the real problem with the front end) Name another mechanic in town who will walk away from a cash sale based upon principle and honesty. I realize it's quite a drive for most Austinites, however it's worth making the effort. -The owner and crew are good people with integrity, a trait truly unheard of in the auto repair business.

From 0 to 10 how would rate their TDI depth of knowledge?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I went there over a decade ago and talked with them. I wasn't inspired and runonbeer was in town so I went with him, even though he was farther away, 30 miles. They seemed to deal in older VW's (gas) at the time. It has been quite a while and maybe they have changed. Their Yelp reviews are good. I should revisit them to see how I feel now as runonbeer is gone and I could use someone close besides the dealer. But my dealer has always done well by me for service, so it will be hard to change unless they are better and less expensive. I will talk to them about regular service costs to include Timing belt kit change when needed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Found another place today. Haven't tried them yet though. English guy said he has been doing this for 24 years. Has VCDS and lockdown tools (asked but I didn't see them as it is Sunday). I am trying to buy a 2015 Passat tdi that needs a timing belt. Will check out Kevin's and Motormania as well.

http://www.bdtuning.com/default.asp

BDTuning
Mike
Address: 1309 Leander Dr, #904
Leander, TX 78641
Phone: (512) 686-2776

Also looking to delete and tune this car if I get it as it has 142k miles on it. Warranty about out and a perfect candidate for it. BDTuning will do the delete for me they said.