Austin Biodiesel

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Anyone else notice the Bio that was traditionally available at the Signature stores has vanished? First the biowillie pumps, now this. Are there even any places to get it anymore in Austin?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There was some talk of bio vanishing in DFW due to some new regulation that just took effect. Maybe that is what is happening. PM runonbeer and see what he says.

Robby says this is what is happening. New stupid regulation pretty much wiping out our bio at the pump.

Last edited:

jon_7248

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Read in an article from Houston about this as well. It started off saying that they are wanting to stop bio since it "can" produce more bad emisions than normal diesel. Im not getting on my soapbox, but how well do you guys like the bio? I havnt seen many stations here in San Antonio at all sadly. Kinda want to try it now that I have a spare fuel filter (jsut incase).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The B20 dispensed from 33 Shell stations was "very" conveinent and it seemed to run a little better (quieter?) or at least equal to regular diesel. I liked that it ran well and was very easy to get around town. Not that I have to fill that often. I would have liked to had better access to B100 from them. I tried several tanks of that over the last 2 years and the car ran very good on it too. It looks like I might try some of the SYNDIESEL next. Slightly more expensive, but excellent quality. 3 drums should hold me for 6 months. I need to install my hitch and buy this trailer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2575

Trailer add ons:
http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/832TA-TS32SB.htm

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
From the dfwbiodiesel website: http://www.dfwbiodieselinc.com

DFW BIODIESEL INC is proud to be in compliance with all current TCEQ standards for ensuring Texans the cleanest burning fuel for all diesel engines. B5 and B100 blends are currently available at our pumps every day from 7am - 11pm and for bulk delivery.
No more B20.

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
Eco Wise in Austin?

Hello, I am new to TDI's and currently have a 2001 Golf and was wanting to use some BD in it. I receiced an email stating that Eco Wise was selling BD for like $3.48 currently and was wanting any info on their fuel.

I will be in Austin next week having Anthee doing a clutch change out.

Thanks
LGV

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why not just check with them if they have any available. Runonbeer is who he works for/with and who is the major supplier of bio in Austin.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
This is an old article but it states very clearly and accurately exactly what has happened to biodiesel in Texas.

TCEQ NOx Biodiesel (out cold-hehe)

B5, B100, and B20 addivized with Oryxe super special NOx additive are the only blends allowed.

slykeopath

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I talked to Anuthee from Austin Bio the other day. He sent me this artical.

http://www.cleanhouston.org/energy/features/biodiesel.htm

After asking him where to get Bio in TX his reply was;

"
The state of biodiesel in texas is in limbo right now. I'll forward you article that does a good job explaining the situation. The short answer is that I don't know."

The article he sent is the one above. Hope this helps.

-Matt

slykeopath

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
And if I read the post above mine I would not need to post my last post. LOL:cool:

slykeopath said:
I talked to Anuthee from Austin Bio the other day. He sent me this artical.

http://www.cleanhouston.org/energy/features/biodiesel.htm

After asking him where to get Bio in TX his reply was;

"
The state of biodiesel in texas is in limbo right now. I'll forward you article that does a good job explaining the situation. The short answer is that I don't know."

The article he sent is the one above. Hope this helps.

-Matt

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
B100 is available at 3 locations in Austin today:

- Ecowise on South Congress

- Oaxacan Tamaleo on Hwy 71 near Bastrop

- Our own shop on Cesar Chavez near 183. We do an Open House every Tuesday night from 7-10pm.

Pricing ranges from $3.39 to $3.47

B20 and B5 are not available anywhere in Austin. No other blend is legal in this area.

For more information, check out our website or give us a call.

Jason Burroughs
DieselGreen Fuels
Visit our website
512-391-0569
512-992-8677 mobile

4GenTex

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI & 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
VW Dealership and BD

So I went in to get my Jetta TDI serviced at the dealership here in Austin, and you would not believe the sh*& they gave me for having BD in my tank:mad:

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Hey there - please provide more details, such as which dealer it was, who the service person was, and what they said. Why did you take your car in, did they find any problems related to the fuel system, or was it just their attitude?

I've talked to Julian at Charles Maund and he's supportive of biofuels in general, although does think that it damages the injectors and injector pump. They have a new service manager, Tommy, that I've heard good things about.

I'd love to hear more about your experience.

Jason

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Jason, do you work at either the dealerships? Do you know any of the guys at Maund?

4GenTex

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI & 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
Jason, met you last night at your place. It was Julian at Charles Maund. We just bought the car, it needed to be serviced, so I thought I would have the dealer give it the once over since it was still under warranty.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
runonbeer said:
Signature stores are once again carrying B5.

I know its an old post....but I did a search looking for B5 biodiesel in Austin, TX and this thread popped up. It needed updating....Signature stores no longer carry Biodiesel.

Here is a cut/paste from their website:

Signature of Austin & Biodiesel:

"In 2007, Signature of Austin was one of Texas' largest providers of public biodiesel fueling stations, offering B20 (20% biodiesel, 80% petroleum diesel) at all of our stores. In 2008, the EPA and the TCEQ revised their regulations, and as a result, biodiesel needed to meet strict NOx emission guidelines. In order to meet those regulations, an additive would have to be added to B20:the cost of the additive would add 10 to 12 cents a gallon to the price.
Because we prided ourselves on passing along federal fuel tax credits to provide market priced petroleum diesel alternatives, a decision was made to switch to B5 in 2008 to keep our prices at market rates. This greatly reduced the demand for biodiesel, and many of our suppliers went out of business or left the state.
In 2009 it was no longer cost effective for us to provide biodiesel at any of our stations as the cost of biodiesel currently exceeds the cost of petroleum diesel. Currently none of our stores are providing biodiesel. If you are interested in purchasing biodiesel for your business, please contact our fuel department at 512-385-2020."

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Current state of biodiesel in Austin:

DieselGreen Fuels sells B100 through Ecowise, a retail eco-store. We sell biodiesel produced by Pacific Biodiesel, made from used cooking oil we collect in the Austin area. Times are tough, and I'm selling off the oil collection business as we speak. I'll still be selling biodiesel, and it will still be from the oil collected in Austin, but the price will probably go up a bit due to the change.

Triple-S no longer carries biodiesel of any flavor.

Suncoast sells animal fat crap biodiesel to the city (or used to, until they got cut off). They may sell some questionable quality fuel to some people, but I hope not.

The joke of a company Austin Refuel came and went.

Austin Biodiesel is no longer selling product, but their main person is the head of the Sustainable Biodiesel Alliance.

There is currently nobody that I know of making their own fuel.

The TCEQ still hates biodiesel.

The tax credit has not been extended, so the industry is grinding to a halt until it gets extended (probably mid-January).

I'm considering selling B100 in 5 gallon containers for people who want to use B5 - like the Yellow Biodiesel guy does up in the NE.

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
Looks like I'm getting in the game late, I was hoping B100 would be available around here but it looks like these companies are dropping like flies.

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
The only real biodiesel companies have been Austin Biofuels and DieselGreen. The others were diesel distributors who got into it but it didn't work out for them.

B100 has been available since 2003 at Ecowise and probably will be for the very long term future!

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
good point!

Our current fuel is good down to about 40F, and we've been running about B70 in the fuel truck and vac truck. I've been using B90 in the Golf and B50 in the 09 Jetta.

Are you back in town for awhile? I'm selling the Golf and found that it has an oil leak. Still haven't found a TDI mechanic that can go beyond what my driver Charlie can do without any special tools.

AusTexRocker

TDI
2010 Golf 4 Dr-DSG-United Grey Metalic
I'm glad I found this thread. Yep, I'm a newbie to diesel and was hoping to use BD (B5) in my 2010 Golf on a regular basis. I guess getting the 5 gal deal from Jason might be the better option.

AusTexRocker

TDI
2010 Golf 4 Dr-DSG-United Grey Metalic
BTW runonbeer...I just took a look at you website and your shop is about 5 minutes from my house...Small world.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I got B100 at a Brew Thru of some kind while in Austin back in 08. Want to say a B70 or B80 winter blend. Was cheaper than Bio back home.

Would hate to think that is going away. Really liked what you guys had going on down there.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
I'd like to run B2 in my Common Rail TDI.

Looks like Ecowise is about the only place in Austin where I can buy biodiesel.

I'm worried about the quality and/or how fresh the biodiesel is at Ecowise. They say it somes from Pacific Biodiesel which has a positive quality reputation.

I'd like to buy a couple gallons at a time and pour in a quart of biodiesel for every 13 gallons of dino diesel I put in the tank. "Splash blend my own B2"

I'm mainly wanting to do this for the increased lubricity of biodiesel B2 vs regular ULSD.

Anyone know why I shouldn't run EcoWise sourced biodiesel (B2)?

Neurot

Vendor
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
First, B5 meets the definition of diesel. So anyone and everyone should be running B5 with no questions asked, no warranty issues, just a little lower emissions and better lubricity. So don't bother with B2 for any reason - start at B5.

Second, the tank at Ecowise is gone through about once a week. Biodiesel is good for 6 months and that tank is used very quickly. There is no concenr at all about how 'fresh' the fuel is. As for quality, it's true that Pacific is the producer, and can provide you a lab certificate at any time. They have been producing biodiesel from used cooking oil for about 15 years.

Your idea to splash blend is just fine. I am considering offering 5 gallon jugs of biodiesel in a yellow diesel container, with a core charge similar to Yellow Biodiesel in the northeast. I haven't had time to sit down and plan it out, but I know there are plenty of others like yourself who would like to try a bit here or there.

Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to contact Charles Maund VW for their position on biodiesel. You will find that B5 is fully supported, provided the biodiesel meets the ASTM D6751 specification, which Pacific's does.

Thanks for asking!

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I buy 3 gallons of BD from Ecowise and then top of my tank at a Shell or Chevron. That works out to about B20-give-or-take...

engine runs great and the (aforementioned) dealership has never said a word to me since I got the "no more than B5" speech at the time of purchase.

21,000 miles holding a 42MPG average, with 2 recorded trips averaging 52MPG. It runs really quiet and smooth, and has plenty of pep. B100 costs significantly more than dino diesel now, but I like how it runs in my car so that's why I buy it