Augsut 28 - "Social"GTG / bbq / bonfire

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
Augsut 28 - \"Social\"GTG / bbq / bonfire

Its time for yet another bonfire folks. My wife and I are looking at having a bonfire and i'm toying with making it a gtg
on the condition that "wrenching" is kept to a minimum.

this "family" gtg would NOT start in the morning but rather late afternoon, and run till....whenever.

me thinks bbq around 6pm...belly's are full by 7ish..fire started at 730 so that s'mores start at 8pm

please post if u are interested.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver

I was just going to post that I'd be there but I checked with my social coordinator and she said that we have 2 things on that date already - family bbq and I'm supposed to try and make it to a stag and doe that night too. I'll miss this one too. Vik, I'll need to get the $$ to you so we'll have to meet up mid week or something. I'll call you.

tdi_guy

TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta TDI Sport Edition

Sorry Vic, can't make this one as we are up north (Blind River) camping with the kids. Sounds like a good time though.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

I have a family thing on the afternoon of the 28th but it should be finished by evening ... Should be able to make it but I might be a late arrival.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

so ya think you can distract people from wrenching when its light out with food and let them understand the fultility of working on a car by the light of a bonfire?

sneaky sneaky...

whats the toll like on the 407? Does it require that a Yank have loonie money to get through?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

The 407 is commuter highway. Only those with ontario plates have to pay. They take a picture of your plate and send you a bill in the mail, but unless you have Ontario plates, they can't get your address. Out of province or out of country plates get a free ride. Unless the 407 has secretly negotiated with other provinces/states to acquire this info???

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

yeah? cool... my plate is DIRTY - the white letters are hard enough to read standing behind it ...

yes ocifer i plan to clean the plate - but look at how dirty the rest of the car is.. and yes.. its a diesel andya know how slow and smokey they are

as long as the MSP or OPP haven't run across The Ripster or one of the ONT gang...

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red

I think Milena and I will be able to drop by because we have to make a trip to Toronto anyway.

Rich

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil

To all who are coming, please bring a sweater or blanket ( THIS MEANS YOU MILENA ) just incase u get cold...but so u know, typically the fire is big enough that at 4ft away its burning your legs

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

So what time do we show up? It might be too late for us to participate? The kids eat around 5pm and go to bed around 7:30-8:00, so if we showed up early, we could do it, but we would have to leave before the bonfire.

RichCA

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2002, Red

LOL. Yep, reserve the closest seat to the fire for her

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil

If folks want to arrive aorund 5pm thats cool, but with this crowd, that means they'll show up at like 630
but whatever really..i STOP manning the BBQ at 7pm...after that u cook for yourself.

Maddy usually hits the sack at 8-9pm..but we'll stretch the odd night...to whenever she hits the WALL...u can set up the kids to sleep here a couple hrs..not a problem...just bring a monitor for them....and you CANNOT leave b4 the bonfire...you're starting it

btw..I'll be supplying burgers and buns....if you need or would like something else, then please bring it. I'll have a cooler with ice and water aswell...

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001

Its the old school parts swap at KC Commons.. I might be late.. man.. owning 2 MarkII's means I gotta go hunting for buckets of parts..... mmmm. .MarkII DigiII unreliable goodness...

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon

Maybe this will help:

And a closeup:

The best way I can figure to get there is to go north on the 427
Exit at HW7 (end of the 427 BTW) and turn left.
At the second set of lights, go north on The Gore Rd.

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000

Vik I would like to drop by for this one if that's kool,
haven't been to any GTGs since last year, so looking forward to this one, if anyone has an extra oil filter they wouldn't mind selling me that'd be great, see you all there

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil

well...looks like the weatherman is not going to co-operate...we may get rained out folks. I'll post here mid-afternoon to let u know what the conditions r like.

stay tuned

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil

So far...weather looks good, but radar shows some unfavourable weather coming from london area...70-90% rain they say...

stay tuned...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

not cancelled, only shortened ...

I got home just before the torrential rain started. I washed the bike right after going into the garage, so the dirt never got a chance to dry

thanks Vik!

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver

Sorry to miss the 'que Vic. Been tied up doing a lot of extra hours on the job. Seems like my fate is to only get to cold snowy GTG's!