Audi working on A8 e-tron with V6 diesel engine

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

The A8 e-tron is said to be powered by a 3.0-liter oil burner paired with one or more electric motors, producing a total output of 368 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque, Audi chief technical officer Dr Ulrich Hackenberg told Auto Express. Despite its comparatively large size, it is expected to offer around 30 miles of electric-only driving range.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.

The A8 e-tron is said to be powered by a 3.0-liter oil burner paired with one or more electric motors, producing a total output of 368 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque, Audi chief technical officer Dr Ulrich Hackenberg told Auto Express. Despite its comparatively large size, it is expected to offer around 30 miles of electric-only driving range.
Since the regular a8 tdi is in Tesla territory in terms of price, what kind of sticker shock will this thing have?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I don't care, really. The people who buy these cars don't either. They want bragging rights. I want the price to come down on these systems, and the only way to do that is to get the ball rolling in the upper segment first.

I can't wait to buy an affordable Tesla.

BeetleGo

TDI
...right NOW.

Some people only focus on the what IS. I'm talking 7-10 years from now! :)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
No A/C? Horrors!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
We take standard A/C as a given in North America but in Europe everything is an extra-cost option, even in near-luxury cars and you can even elect to have the cigarette lighter and badging deleted from the factory. Given the Duo was never sold in NA, the lack of standard A/C is par for course for its intended market.

Nobody should not diminish, however, the significance of Audi having a hybrid car in production before the more widely acknowledged Prius and a Diesel plug-in to boot.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
We take standard A/C as a given in North America but in Europe everything is an extra-cost option, even in near-luxury cars and you can even elect to have the cigarette lighter and badging deleted from the factory. Given the Duo was never sold in NA, the lack of standard A/C is par for course for its intended market.

Nobody should not diminish, however, the significance of Audi having a hybrid car in production before the more widely acknowledged Prius and a Diesel plug-in to boot.
My tongue was firmly planted in-cheek for my comment :p

I agree that Audi hasn't been given due credit where due. Especially being a plug-in diesel that wasn't connected to a block heater. :D Just imagine what that car could have been with today's batteries. Even so, pretty good for lead acid batteries!

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
Toyota got the ball rolling on the Prius without a $150,000 Lexus-prius first.
One of the most retarded things I have ever read.

The original, or the first Toyota Prius, the NHW10 was stuck between Corolla and Camry and today after having fine tuned the tech after 15 years, its price (24k) compared to Corolla (16.8k) is 50% more.

Infact even though, its between corolla and Camry , the base price is even more than the Camry. And I haven't even added the good stuff to the Prius which is more than 30k. So thats 25% more than base price.

Now A8 is flagship. So it typically portrays the latest tech and upcoming features. And those are expensive to begin with. I mean just like the Prius which was more expensive than the larger Camry, the A8 is al;ready more expensive than A4/A6 / A7.

So, the A8 costs 81k. And thats long wheel base version with more stuff standard. I think if the hybrid diesel were to cost 25% extra, unlike toyota who marked it up more than 50%, a price of 100k is easily digestible.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
No A/C? Horrors!
Germans don't sweat so they don't need A/C in their cars :)
I'm biased I'll get extra brownie points from my Canadian-German GF

German Designers and Engineers are logical, methodical, and practical.
As a Designer/Engineer myself, I appreciate their LMP thinking of not including power robbing equipment.

BeetleGo

TDI
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1093388_audi-a8-e-tron-set-for-2015-debut-report

Audi has already confirmed electrified ‘e-tron’ versions of its A3, A6 and R8 models for production, and soon we’ll be able to add the A8 flagship sedan to that list. The new A8 e-tron will be a plug-in hybrid, just like the smaller A3 e-tron, and it should be revealed early next year. It will likely replace the current A8 Hybrid sold overseas.

Auto Express reports that the A8 e-tron’s plug-in hybrid system will combine Audi’s next-gen 3.0-liter TDI V-6 with an electric drive system, potentially making it more efficient than the rival S-Class Plug-In Hybrid from Mercedes-Benz, which uses a less efficient gasoline V-6 for its internal combustion component. A plug-in hybrid version of the next-generation BWM 7-Series is also planned, and this, like the Mercedes, is expected to utilize a gasoline engine.

The plug-in hybrid system destined for the A8 e-tron will eventually appear in other large Audis, including the A6 and next-generation Q7 and possibly a rumored Q8 as well. Peak output of the system is said to be about 368 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. The electric-only driving range should be about 30 miles. There’s no word on mileage but CO2 emissions are said to be lower than 100 grams per kilometer, based on European tests.

The latest news doesn’t come as much of a surprise, as the brand with the four rings has previously confirmed it plans to eventually offer an e-tron version of every model it sells by 2020, and will be launching one new e-tron model every year until then. At present, Audi has only confirmed its A3 e-tron for sale in the U.S. The vehicle arrives next year, as a 2016 model.

BeetleGo

TDI
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/audi/2016-audi-a8-e-tron-ar164481.html

The A8 has been the flagship model of the entire Audi range since its arrival back in 1994. Now in its third generation, the A8 continues to carry the “Four Rings” flag to greater and greater heights. Word has it that the A8 is getting a new engine that will make good use of the company’s new 3.0-liter, V-6, e-tron drivetrain.

Auto Express is reporting that the A8 will be the first recipient of a new e-tron hybrid system combined with a 3.0-liter, V-6, diesel mill. This system is similar to the one Audi dropped into the A3 e-tron Sportback , albeit with a more powerful V-6 to complement the electric motor.

Audi technical boss Dr Ulrich Hackenberg confirmed to Auto Express that this new setup will be used on the automaker’s larger models with the A8 getting first dibs on it.

It’s another huge step in the company’s quest to produce more sustainable vehicles in the future. Having an electric motor to complement the V-6 should make the A8 more fuel efficient without compromising its already stout performance numbers.

The new A8 e-tron is expected to carry 368 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque with an all-electric range of 30 miles. The range is similar to other luxury hybrid models on the market, including the Panamera S-E Hybrid and its 22-mile, EV-only range.

Expect the A8 to be the first model to receive the 3.0-liter e-tron powertrain with the A6 and the Q7 and others following suit at a later date.

It’s an exciting time for Audi as it ventures into new territory with its bigger models. If the A8 e-tron succeeds, look for the company to set its sights on expanding the engine’s reach into other models sooner than later.

Jim B PEI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5M, (2010 Golf wagon DSG GONE, replaced by a 2014 Subaru Forester)
That is exactly what I want(ed)...A diesel (1.9 TDI) wagon with a MANUAL transmission + clutch for both Electric and Diesel mode, but make it with Lithium Ion--or at LEAST the metal hydride found in the standard Prii, rather than lead-acid.

As it is, to get that same Farfugwhatever, I have to haul my ' 12 Prius C around on a car dolly behind the '03 Jetta TDI 5 sp wagon, and frankly, its getting old ;-)

Last edited: