Audi TTqTDI

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I have been talking and dreaming about this swap for a year.
After 6 months of looking, I found the perfect car back in March; 2003 225 quattro roadster, Moro Blue (my fav), Vanilla Interior (rare), 67k miles, all options (HIDs etc); the 1.8T engine had a blown turbo and worse, car had been repo'd, I found it at auction very cheap, barely got it home.
1.8T came out, and the PD100 went in two weeks ago. I got it running last week, and got the complete car back on the road today.

It has taken 2 months of nights and weekends in the garage, but I think I have figured out the recipe, and even how to get the Quattro/AWD to work.

Before...

After...

For the car as it stands today, many thanks to :
Mogly for the BEW PD100, wiring harness etc
Ryanp for the 02M FWD ERF transmission, which I stole the gearing out of
Whitbread for the R32 Peloquin and guide on 02M shiftfork strengthening
Jetta 97 for the immo delete
VWMikel for the tunes (to come)
Jos_br & ttqtdi for leading the way
Scott_DeWitt for guidance on 02Ms

I am now starting on stage 2 :
250whp/450wtq goal
ARL block & crank
GTB2260vk
Rostens + BHWs
Firad +100s
BIG intercooler
etc etc
More to follow...:D:D

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
some more pics of the swap

1.8T and AWD transfer case

AWD shaft and exhaust clearance (or lack of !!)

Downpipe challenge with transfer case

Not a lot of space for a downpipe/exhaust..

Gearbox fun...

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Update 2nd August 2011 :
Koni FSDs and Eibach sport springs
18" RS4 replica wheels
Adjustable rear control arms, camber corrected, 4-wheel aligned
Custom plate (had to be done !)
Haldex now fully functional
Twin LCD gauges mocked up, need to fab some brackets and covers
Each gauge system has 16 inputs, selectable pressure or temperature, with range, peak value and audible alarm. Datalogging to come next, the gauge vendor/genius is just doing the programming now.

2260 has arrived, custom intake and exhaust manifolds in fab with David now.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Great news Charlie, looks almost factory! I've got a few helpful pics for the DP when you go for a gtb2260vk!

BTW - Might be an idea to go for a Passat PD130 Intake to neaten up the Pipework when you change the FMIC.

Ry

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Great news Charlie, looks almost factory! I've got a few helpful pics for the DP when you go for a gtb2260vk!

BTW - Might be an idea to go for a Passat PD130 Intake to neaten up the Pipework when you change the FMIC.

Ry
Ryan, thanks. And thanks for the PD150 intake (I forgot about that).
I am pretty sure I am going to mount my GTB2260vk the other way around, with the exhaust/downpipe away from the transmission. If you look at the 1.8T and bare engine bay pics above you can see this is how the 1.8T 3" downpipe fits, makes for a MUCH easier/straighter transition through the tunnel. The tunnel has 'extra' space on that side of the driveshaft, so that is where it must go.
Therefore the compressor outlet will come over the flywheel area, and the current orientation of inlet manifold will work best (but with a much bigger inlet manifold, still to come).

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking good! Any success getting the stand alone controller?
Yes, it is on its way, it was his last one. Hasn't arrived yet..
I have made surprising progress in getting the haldex to work with the ECU...
But I am still going standalone, I want to be able to run it fully disabled (FWD) to get mpg on the freeway, and be able to lock it 50/50 for launches etc, should help 1/4 mile times a bunch !

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Looking good Charlie.

That's a such a beautiful color combo. I'm sure I'm not the only who's a touch envious of it.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
O M G.

Now you just need to put a price tag on the swap so I can ship a rolling chassis to ya!

This is a SWEET swap. Nice job!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Nice job, Charlie!!;)

And thanks for the help on the Pioneer deck I installed in the kid's Passat. ;) What a beautiful head unit, touch screen and all. Plus, the DVD player is the bomb, like she says.:cool:

I may personally take on the balance shaft parts swap on her car this Fall. I don't trust the chain, even though it is very quiet.

Tony

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Great work and cool project! Your welcome for the time I spent answering your questions.

Can't wait to see more!

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Great work and cool project! Your welcome for the time I spent answering your questions.

Can't wait to see more!
Scott, sorry I forgot you, many thanks for your help, you more than deserve a mention, updated above.
After talking to Matt, I summoned up the courage to tear apart two 02Ms myself, and am glad I did, it was nothing like as bad as I feared it might be. Learn something new every day.
Many thanks

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking good Charlie.

That's a such a beautiful color combo. I'm sure I'm not the only who's a touch envious of it.
Thanks Rob. It is a rare color scheme, I only saw 2 of these in the whole of the US over the 6 months I looked. I would guess about 90% are black interiors (way to hot for Houston), and 8% are grey (kinda dull) and 2% are vanilla.
Downside to the vanilla is cleaning, but black is no fun in Houston summers.
Thanks again !!

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
It's lookin' good Charlie. I can't wait to see what kind of times it puts down with the AWD.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I know so many of us have had dreams of doing just this since the TT came out. Glad to see someone finally did it!

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
OP.. thanks.. I dreamed about it too for at least 18 months.. but then bit the bullet. It is all about finding the right car. Thankfully the 1.8t's have a bad habit of dying an early death, and so there are some great deals out there with dead engines, perfect for this swap.
I am going to have to copy some of your engine mods.. looking to build a 300+ PD motor, I think that will wake the TT up !

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Got any videos of it doing various car-like things? :)

Great swap! I'm surprised that it was fairly plug-and-play. Well done!

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Charlie:

What a fantastic project. Kudos for living the dream.

BTW: what did you do with the 225, harness, ECU, etc.? I could sure use one to build a B mod solo car (gave up on finding a cheap DSR). They are kind of scarce up this way.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm surprised that it was fairly plug-and-play.
Err. I don't think I said or claimed that.
Plug & play it is NOT.. there are plenty of little gotchas, I just spent 3 months trying to figure them out before hand, so it went quite smoothly.
I finally got the climatronic AC to behave and work properly last night, 18+hrs of diagnosis, and quite a bit of rewire from FCM to ECU and AC head.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW: what did you do with the 225, harness, ECU, etc.? I could sure use one to build a B mod solo car (gave up on finding a cheap DSR). They are kind of scarce up this way.
The 225 is a sitting at the back of the shop, I want to make sure I need no other parts off it. I have a couple of local people interested, if it doesn't go soon I'll be putting it up on vortex. I'll add you to the list :p

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well strike what I said earlier. ;) Very impressive project.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
The 225 is a sitting at the back of the shop, I want to make sure I need no other parts off it. I have a couple of local people interested, if it doesn't go soon I'll be putting it up on vortex. I'll add you to the list :p
I would need enough stuff to make it run (i.e. wiring, ECU, engine, etc.), but nothing car-related (would go into tube frame or maybe back of a Crosley FF frame). If I could afford it, I would just buy a 225TT and pull the gasser for BMod and stuff an ALH back in the hole.