Audi TT Control Arm in MkIV ?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I know the bushings themselves are a perfect fit/swap from the TT into our VW MkIV Jetta/Golf/Beetles, but is the whole control arm itself a straight swap?

They look close to the same (just looking at product photos), except that they appear to be cast metal as opposed to the stamped/welded metal that make up the stock VW parts.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Sway Bar Mount?

Where is the attachment point for the front sway bar?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I do it all the time...but I prefer using TT knuckles as well. It improves geometry even more.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The main difference is the TT attaches the sway bar link to the strut housing, not the control arm. If you swap over the whole TT's suspension, it won't matter. The bushings are an easy enough thing to do, though.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
The main difference is the TT attaches the sway bar link to the strut housing, not the control arm. If you swap over the whole TT's suspension, it won't matter. The bushings are an easy enough thing to do, though.
Thanks. The ones I bought through ebay have the nipples at the front of the LCA. So I will drill and tap for the sway bar end link attachment.

My other question is the tie-rod ends. If you look, the distance from the ball joint to the drive shaft/bearing is longer and the tie-rod attachment is higher as well.

Any fitment issues?

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Delete the sway bar and install stiffer front springs.

The front sway bar transfers weight across the front wheels in corners loading the outside tire to promote understeer while allowing tire compliance/ride comfort springs.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Delete the sway bar and install stiffer front springs.

The front sway bar transfers weight across the front wheels in corners loading the outside tire to promote understeer while allowing tire compliance/ride comfort springs.
What's everybodies thoughts on this, removing the front swaybar? Reason I mention this, I just scored the newer Audi front brakes, spindles, calipers, and LCA's, but these don't have the little swaybar connection nub on them. So trying to figure out which way I should go on this. Hmmm

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's everybodies thoughts on this, removing the front swaybar? Reason I mention this, I just scored the newer Audi front brakes, spindles, calipers, and LCA's, but these don't have the little swaybar connection nub on them. So trying to figure out which way I should go on this. Hmmm
When you complete your installation, can you please post pictures? I've heard people say to flip the tie rod end upward since the attachment point is higher.

Not sure what the increased distance from the ball joint to the drive shaft affects but it does make it easier for servicing the ball joint.

bzeien

Veteran Member
TDI
Smyth Performance G3F #9, formerly known as "2004 Jetta BEW", 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Here's a link to photos of TT arms on my MKIV Jetta/Smyth G3F project; they are a direct bolt in. I also used TT spindles in order to take advantage of the 312mm brakes.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4710027&postcount=64

My control arms did not have the bosses on the front to tap and use the short VW links, I instead used a product from Dorbritz and then modified the length of some stock TT sway bar links. It's also using the TT sway bar which passes under the axle shaft rather than the VW bar that curves over the top of the axle (although I think both will fit).

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
When you complete your installation, can you please post pictures? I've heard people say to flip the tie rod end upward since the attachment point is higher.

Not sure what the increased distance from the ball joint to the drive shaft affects but it does make it easier for servicing the ball joint.
Yes I'll try to get some pics. Unfortunatley the car I grab this off of is a new model and therefore the control arms don't have the nubs to connect the MK4 sway bar. Doing more research.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes I'll try to get some pics. Unfortunatley the car I grab this off of is a new model and therefore the control arms don't have the nubs to connect the MK4 sway bar. Doing more research.
The R32 uses the same Cast Iron Control arm and attaches the sway bar at the strut.

So it appears the Audi TT front sway bar goes UNDER the drive shaft like the R32.

The VW MK4 sway bar goes OVER the drive shaft. That must be part of the reason why the distance from the drive shaft to the ball joint is greater on the Audi TT's.

Last edited:

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I just finished doing this upgrade a couple weeks ago using LCA's with the sway bar bosses that I tapped for the OEM style sway bar.

I decided to swap the outer steering tie rod ends, left side to right side as well. They mount with the nut up on TT knuckles versus nut down on the OEM MK4 knuckles. It made sense to me due to opposite/180 mounting points to the knuckle.

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
With those dorbritz sway bar mounts, you have turned 90 degrees. Will they clear the wheel like that? Only asking because I thought that was why OEM had the sway bar mount on the inside of the strut. But if it clears I like your geometry better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With those dorbritz sway bar mounts, you have turned 90 degrees. Will they clear the wheel like that? Only asking because I thought that was why OEM had the sway bar mount on the inside of the strut. But if it clears I like your geometry better.
They are different because the Audi TT spindle has more space between the drive shaft and the ball joint for the sway bar. Like the R32 pictured below the sway bar goes UNDER the drive shaft

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'd have to get the Audi TT or R32 sway bar and new struts to make the attachment. Or I guess you could weld on your own attachment to the strut or to the lower control arm.

See pictures in my last post.

bzeien

Veteran Member
TDI
Smyth Performance G3F #9, formerly known as "2004 Jetta BEW", 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
With the Dorbritz mounts installed as shown in the link to my car there's clearance to the 245/45ZR18 tires on BMW wheels. Since they move with the strut, the clearance to the wheel never changes.

hobbs

TDI
2004 golf
can i just swap out the LCA and the ball joint or does the LCA, ball joint, and spindle all have to be TT parts. in the photos its hard to tell if the the male part of the ball joint is longer on the TT....