Audi TDi Wins LeMans

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI Shark Blue on Black, 2 Door Manual
y22man said:
I am glad I live in the USA where I can go camping how I want, and go to the race track and watch race cars that get horrible fuel mileage and pollute the air.
LOL, Camp… now, that is funny…

Camp in America =

Grab your 3500 and load it with 200 gallons of diesel, hook up to you over wide 3 bedroom fifth wheel “camper.”

Refill 12 gallons.

Drive 120 miles, stop refill

Drive 110 miles, stop refill

Drive 130 (better mileage going downhill) arrive destination. Refill.

Destination = some state park that has electric, waste and water hook ups.

Park your 5th wheel in a paved parking lot.

Expand your 3 bedroom “camper” to a 5 bedroom, 2 story high condo.

Hook up gas, electric, water and waste.

Aim satellite dish for your TV.

Aim satellite dish for your high speed internet.

Spend 2 weeks “roughening it up a little.”

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
roytoy said:
LOL, Camp… now, that is funny…

Camp in America =

Grab your 3500 and load it with 200 gallons of diesel, hook up to you over wide 3 bedroom fifth wheel “camper.”

Refill 12 gallons.

Drive 120 miles, stop refill

Drive 110 miles, stop refill

Drive 130 (better mileage going downhill) arrive destination. Refill.

Destination = some state park that has electric, waste and water hook ups.

Park your 5th wheel in a paved parking lot.

Expand your 3 bedroom “camper” to a 5 bedroom, 2 story high condo.

Hook up gas, electric, water and waste.

Aim satellite dish for your TV.

Aim satellite dish for your high speed internet.

Rock on. LOL

May I use this later?

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Of course!

The first time I went camping in America I was so exited... the exitment lasted all of 2 minutes passed the gate... then I said... ***?

For this... I should have stayed home.

y22man

Veteran Member
roytoy said:
Of course!

The first time I went camping in America I was so exited... the exitment lasted all of 2 minutes passed the gate... then I said... ***?

For this... I should have stayed home.
Sounds like you need to come out here to utah so you can go up in the trees at 9000 feet.

Or better yet you can take the boat out and go camp on the shore of Strawberry. Oh wait, that is an inefficent boat, and a man made lake.

Oh the insanity!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
y22man said:
Sounds like you need to come out here to utah so you can go up in the trees at 9000 feet.

Or better yet you can take the boat out and go camp on the shore of Strawberry. Oh wait, that is an inefficent boat, and a man made lake.

Oh the insanity!
I shouldn't think the man made lake thing would not be bad, unless you filled it with sewer run-off. But if you're going to go camping on a lake shore, you can hike down to the lake shore or if you want to some extra solitude, you could try paddling. I've done some great treks paddling my canoe and camping by the river. I've also paddled out to islands and camped offshore. Do you really NEED a motorized vehicle for EVERYTHING?

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
y22man said:

Oh the insanity!
Most lakes are man made anyway.

I know Utah, the sights and colors are impressive. The mountains and rock formations are nothing short of amazing, however, I still think camping in America is way off of what real camping should be.

I was in the Scouts for almost 20 years, I served in a paratrooper squadron for another year. I just don’t quite understand the whole... lets go RVIng thing.

I do respect the freedom of choice, I also like the lifestyle that is achievable in America, I love America, hence I swore alliance to this nation leaving behind the one that saw me do my baby steps. However, within reason of course, I think we should all take a stance towards the conservation of our planet.

It’s a duty to our kids.

I just don’t see or understand the whole point of going to be in touch with the elements and God’s creation and taking your whole house, 50” plasma included with you… kind of defeats the whole reason for it.

I worked in the lights crew of the Ringling Brothers circus for a couple of years, and I completely understand the need for a crew and cast of a traveling circus to have a huge trailer… they do live in it. Many times, their whole life is in that trailer. That I can understand… but just so you can do it a couple times a year or less… I don’t get it.

I sometimes go camping in my Motorcycle… I dream of a road trip to Alaska on my motorcycle and with my North Face tent. Try it once… go to the minimal surviving tools and there you will find just how wonderful the world is and how complicated we have made it with all our stuff and crap.

I respect your opinion and choice, my dear y22man, I do. In fact, and after all you are a fellow Vdub and a TDIer for that matter.

But I wish you took a moment to reconsider when you say things like, “My own right to pollute.”

You are absolutely right, it is amazingly wonderful and a true blessing to live in a nation that fights and upholds that right, and others. However, not because you have the right it makes it well… redundantly speaking… right!

See what this testosterone driven society has turned us into?

Soccer Mothers driving H2s, regular white collar executives spewing tons of carcinogen agents from the pipes of their 500+ HP machines to and back from their office jobs to the air that you, my daughter and I breathe, all in the name of what? A senseless pride? Or to take advantage of a loophole in a tax code that was designed to benefit farmers…

Nonsense…

Le Mans (which is the original cause of this thread) and cousins like WRC and F1 is where we should keep our eyes focused. The eternal man quest for efficiency, endurance, performance under the most adverse conditions. I would even add a twist to Le Mans and limit the amount of fuel and tires a team can use in those 24 hrs.

Can you imagine if instead of an incredibly awesome C5 Corvette or Porshe GTS and of course a Peugeot or Audi TDI we had to watch Cummings 3500 Rams running the track for 24 hours pulling an RV?

One of the top reasons American auto makers are bound to disappear if they don’t change their ways, is because they were so successful in creating a market for Big and Huge and Humongous and Gargantuan trucks that American buyers for the most part is all they look for anymore in those manufacturers. And you are absolutely right… Honda, Toyota and even VW with their V10 followed suit.

There is a Chevy dealer, just 3 blocks away from my house, they used to line up all the Corvettes and Camaros they had. What an awesome display it was every day on my right turn towards my street… a true show.

Now all I see is stupid Tahoe, and other dull, boring and dumb looking trucks and SUVs.

Camaro and Trans Am… dead.. and what a pair of awesome cars they were.

To end my college paper turned post…

It really makes my blood boil when I hear a group of obese to morbidly obese ladies complaining about the price of gas to fill up their Pick ups and SUVs… at the same time they complain about “how hard is to find good men.”

You follow the line of though?

It’s the bad mans fault because they cant see that under the layers of fat there is a gorgeous woman, not theirs for not making the effort to better their lives by loosing the extra 100 lbs.

It’s the middle eastern countries and Hugo Chavez fault for controlling the output and therefore price of crude (which belongs to them BTW) and not them for not trying a more fuel efficient vehicle and methods like ride sharing.

Ok… I better stop or I will keep on writing till 5am

PEACE!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Stick to the topic!

The discussion above (FLtoAK, Y22, and RoyToy) has NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread!

FOCUS

~BeetleGo :mad:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Could you maybe split the topic, so that it could continue? Because, frankly, it's an interesting topic...

y22man

Veteran Member
roytoy said:
I respect your opinion and choice, my dear y22man, I do. In fact, and after all you are a fellow Vdub and a TDIer for that matter.
Roytoy,

Thank you for a level headed response. I have nothing but respect for that post. What I don't get are these people that just shoot off with no background into what a said person is doing and calling them out.

Now, so that all of you know where I am coming from. I tent camped until I was 27. My wife had an accident that prevented her from sleeping on the ground. She just did not enjoy being stiff, sore, and taking pain pills to camp. So what is the point of camping? We purchased a trailer to enjoy the outdoors. We go out as much as my work permits (2 - 3 weekends a month or as weather permits). In fact this is the only way I can get away from work because it is out of cell coverage.

My truck, Yes, I added power. I now have a more fuel efficient vehicle. I went from 17 MPG to 19 MPG. According to the emissions equipment at the Utah emissions testing locations my tailpipe emissions went down. Although I do put out more smoke now.

I ride the bus to work. I only drive my truck to pull the trailer or boat. That equates to about 5000 miles per year over the past few years.

I have a 7Kw wind tower in my yard. I am researching the feasibility of putting solar shingles on my house. I have reduced as much electrical appliances in my house to conserve energy. Being in the tech industry I did something very hard for me. I removed all computers I had and only use my work laptop and my server I use for a web server. How many have thought about the polution they are putting in the air due to fossil fuel power plants? I have ripped out my lawn and replaced it with Astroturf ‘synlawn’ to conserve on water. How many people are wasting a more valuable resorce then oil, water?

I apologize for my postings to a point. I only acted like that due to I saw the same type of response just on the other side of the fence.

All I ask, is to respect other people and don’t attack them like a rabid dog.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Wow, this is a good crowd hanging out here! Since you are thinking about solar shingles, have you heard of a company called nanosolar? They will be launching a product soon that closely resembles aluminum wrap but it will be solar panel wrap. I admire you for taking the bus every day! I have asked my wife several times to take public transport to go to work and she refuses because it's beneath her or something! WHile I do not like the look of astroturf I am removing my alwn as well and putting flagstone in it's place. All these resources are finite and anything we can do to protect them is so important. While I do love a 500hp vehicle, what's the point? Especially when in traffic it gets you from point A to B in just the same amount of time as driving a hybrid or a biodiesel powered vehicle. I am all for camping! Should we organize a camping trip to explore the wilderness of Utah?

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
y22man
FL2AK-tdi
NewTDI

Isn’t it amazing the kind people the TDI brings together?

That is why I have always loved VW and more so my TDI.

All this comes to show that a comment based in no background and a bad choice of words can turn into enemies two folks that otherwise you might find sharing a good Guinness in a bar until one of them needs to be carried home in the other’s shoulder…

This is how many wars have started…

Y22man, I am impressed that you have chosen so many life changes that set an example. Can you imagine if we all had solar panels or a wind powered generator and used zero grid power?

The amazing repercussions this would have in everything… from global politics to environment…

Lets just not go as far as forbidding or taxing everything and anything that is fun… Like I heard somewhere they wanted or they are taxing people who do BBQs in their backyard… I think that is extreme…

There are countries that force power companies to buy back energy that home owners put back in the grid through their home solar panels at a higher price than the power company sells it.

Anyway, I agree with BeetleGo, this was a Le Mans post and we have hijacked it. :p (he reminds me of Paul from the wonder years).

But, bhtooefr is right…. It is very interesting! And by the way bhtoofr… what in heavens name is your avatar? I like it!

Hope to see you all in TDI fest!

Oh! And call your congressman and tell them to open the HOV lanes to TDIs :D

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Now back to our regular programming...

MAN that Le Mans race was one of the best ever!!!

I still want an official explanation of why the wheel came off..

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
So practically almost both Peugeot lost due to engine problems (the one ranked 2nd lost oil pressure near finish) while NONE of the Audis had engine problems? One crashed and the other one lost a wheel and then crashed.

Better engines!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Funny thing is, Peugeot's been doing diesels for longer - since the 1960's, whereas VW released their first production diesel in 1976 for the 1977 model year.