Audi TDi Wins LeMans

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
For those with slow hook ups>

Audi wins fourth straight Le Mans race

Audi celebrates

Associated Press
6/17/2007 10:40:09 AM
LE MANS, France (AP) - Audi overcame the challenge of two Peugeot cars and wet racing conditions Sunday to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the fourth straight year.

Frank Biela and Marco Werner of Germany and Emanuele Pirro of Italy drove diesel-powered Audi No. 1 to victory, taking the lead in the morning after Dindo Capello's Audi No. 2 crashed out.

''We had nine stressful hours with the Peugeot right behind us,'' Pirro said. ''But the more you suffer, the greater the pleasure.''

Audi No. 1 completed 369 laps in 24 hours, 10 laps ahead of Peugeot No. 8, driven by Sebastien Bourdais, Stephane Sarrazin and Pedro Lamy. It was the fifth Le Mans victory for Pirro and Biela, and the third for Werner, the defending champion.

On the last lap, Bourdais slowed to wait for Audi No. 1 to cross the finish line together.

''Finishing second is like a victory for Peugeot,'' said Bourdais, whose car dropped to eighth Saturday evening after twice losing time due to mechanical problems before rallying through the night.

Peugeot was racing in the French classic again after a 14-year absence.

Emmanuel Collard's Pescarolo Judd No. 16 finished third, 12 laps behind Werner, but was the first gasoline-powered car.

Peugeot No. 7 - driven by Marc Gene, Nicolas Minassian and Jacques Villeneuve of Iberville, Que. - was second after Capello's accident, but stopped after its engine failed because of a loss of oil pressure in the 22nd hour.

After 262 laps and more than 16 hours of racing, Capello had a three-lap lead over Biela, but the Italian driver's Audi No. 2 crashed into a tire barrier after losing its left rear wheel and had to stop.

''It's never easy to sustain an accident at high speed like the one experienced by Dindo,'' Pirro said. ''But fortunately for him he was driving a very solid Audi.''

Tom Kristensen and Capello had led since the first lap of the world's most famous endurance race.

Capello's co-pilot, Allan McNish, had the fastest lap in three minutes 27.176 seconds on the 13.629-kilometre circuit.

The safety car came out for the first time after one hour as the rain forced drivers to change to wet-weather tires because of the slippery track.

Mike Rockenfeller crashed his Audi No. 3 into a guard rail after a 24th-lap curve to force the safety car to come out for more than an hour. Rockenfeller was unhurt but forced to retire from the race.

Werner bumped his Audi into Jan Magnussen's Corvette Racing No. 63 at the end of the seventh hour, forcing a change of hood for his car and the deployment of the safety car for a third time.

Aston Martin No. 009 - driven by David Brabham, Rickard Rydell, and Darren Turner - completed 342 laps to finish fifth overall, but No. 1 in the GT1 class, six minutes ahead of Corvette Racing No. 63.

A total of 54 cars started in the 75th edition of Le Mans, but 25 failed to finish.

04PDWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
It was very interesting to watch the R10s walk away from the Peugeots despite the Peugeots being faster every day in practice and in qualifying. Sad was the fact that the "young team" crashed out early and the No.2 car crashed out as well (likely due to a pit mistake). In either case, it proved that the diesel technology is sound. It'd be interesting to watch next year if the Porsche RS Spyders show up as well as Acura.

Sports Car Racing FTW!

y22man

Veteran Member
They are truely an amazing vehicle. I took my wife to the ALMS this year at Miller Motorsports park and she loved them. Purely due to how quiet they are in comparison to all the other cars. But Hey she is hooked, she wants to go watch the Audi's whenever they are in town.

Here are some pictures from the event. Be patient on the videos, I only have 768 up.

Sevethc pictures and videos

04PDWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
y22man said:
They are truely an amazing vehicle.
I was fortunate enough to watch them debut at Sebring last year. They were by far the quietest car of all. Interesting was standing next to a stack of 4 of its tires which were nearly as tall as me.

As for US automakers...they will never get it. Diesel has been an option for years in other countires due to its FUEL EFFICIENCY! What does GM announce, a 4.5l V8 turbodiesel for its 1/2 ton pickups. Dude, drop in a 3.0l V6 (such as the Benz powerplant) 215hp and 396lb-ft and it'll propel any 1/2 ton truck fine. But no, we have to have more HP than everyone else or no one will buy it. VW is a little guilty of this as well, Touareg V10 TDI...c'mon guys, use your V6 diesel (hell, even the I5!) and get better mileage!

Gettin50MPGs

Veteran Member
04PDWagon said:
...As for US automakers...they will never get it. Diesel has been an option for years in other countires due to its FUEL EFFICIENCY!...
They get it, we're not fighting oil rich countries because we have cable tv

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
04PDWagon said:
What does GM announce, a 4.5l V8 turbodiesel for its 1/2 ton pickups. Dude, drop in a 3.0l V6 (such as the Benz powerplant) 215hp and 396lb-ft and it'll propel any 1/2 ton truck fine.
Yes, but will it propel any 1/2 ton truck towing my stupid 19 foot travel-trailer/camper thing and do it at 85 mph? Because, you know: a)I'm too fat and lazy to pitch a tent, and b) anything less than 85 mph, well I'll just get runover on the interstate.

Oh yeah, and I only use my travel trailer like 3 times a year. I just like to drive my big dually American made piece of s--t every day to wal mart where the spaces are to small for me to park so I take 1 and a half for myself and buy my country music.

That's why in America, you only sell the truck with the most horsepower.

God Bless America and no place else.

disclaimer: the above statements are purely sarcastic in every sense and do not, in any way, refelct the true opinions of the person gmaking said statements.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
BigAndy said:
Certainly will be. This type of coverage is so important for the European manufacturers and should help as new diesel models are introduced in the North American markets, especially for the upscale brands such as Audi.

Go Audi :D
I for one am getting anxious about these so-called introductions. I just can't wait for VW to have diesels again. I just can't wait for Honda to bring out its diesel accord. I just can't wait for Nissan to bring out its oil burner Maxima. BMW needs to have its diesels over here!

Enough talk, lets see them in the flesh! Bring them on.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
BigAndy said:
First - about big diesel trucks. Lots of guys up here drive them -- most work in the bush and use diesel because its what the loggers use. They probably don't need the big mills, but that's what the trucks come with.

Next are the US tourists that drive through our town to and from Alaska pulling HUGE fifth wheels or those great big diesel pushers towing vehicles that cost twice what I drive. They really don't care about mileage and only care about power. I'll give it to them, they certainly out pull my Toyota and pass me when I'm towing my 14' travel trailer.

And I'll echo Leica -- I think competition is what makes for big improvements in product and service and can't wait for others to bring their best to the US market. I bet those companies can't wait to get into the US market.
Yeah, I see all those huge 5th wheels and pushers around town and on the highways going up to Fairbanks or down to Seward. UGH.

But I disagree that competition will make for big changes or big improvements. There a vast community in America that siply want big, max powered, AMRICAN MADE trucks. I know people that would pay double for a pos Dodge rather than drive a Toyota.

I think that's why these car companies aren't bringng ther products to the US. They know that, no matter how good their product is, the americans simply will not buy them, no matter what. No matter what it costs, they'll keep driving their 3500 Chevy.

04PDWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Gettin50MPGs said:
They get it, we're not fighting oil rich countries because we have cable tv
If the US automakers (you can probably throw in US branches of foreign car makers who keep making larger and larger cars) gave a rats ass about what is going on in the middle east, they'd start producing more fuel efficient cars. But, the SUV makes money so the SUV they'll sell.

Back on topic...go R10! :D

Funny thing, last night I see a FORD commercial where it claims that every FORD "car" sold gets more than 25MPG in big bold print. Then in small print you have V6 5spd mustang, I4 5 speed fusion, etc.

Last edited:

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
FL2AK-tdi said:
There a vast community in America that siply want big, max powered, AMRICAN MADE trucks. I know people that would pay double for a pos Dodge rather than drive a Toyota.
Um... last I checked, Toyota keeps making their trucks bigger and bigger just like US automakers. And have you seen the Nissan Titan?? That's one of the biggest trucks out there!

I'm all for diesel trucks. I think a 1/2 ton with a diesel is what most people with trucks could really use. Then they could buy a 1/2 ton to pull their trailers and campers instead of a 3/4 ton or whatever. I know my wife's parents could use one... they have a GMC Sierra (1/2 ton) gasser, which is actually the most efficient truck in its class right now, but a diesel engine would have been great. And no, they can't just take a tent with them. When they go away, they leave for a few months at a time. That's a long time to live out of a camper... a tent would be crazy!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
domboy said:
Um... last I checked, Toyota keeps making their trucks bigger and bigger just like US automakers. And have you seen the Nissan Titan?? That's one of the biggest trucks out there!

I'm all for diesel trucks. I think a 1/2 ton with a diesel is what most people with trucks could really use. Then they could buy a 1/2 ton to pull their trailers and campers instead of a 3/4 ton or whatever. I know my wife's parents could use one... they have a GMC Sierra (1/2 ton) gasser, which is actually the most efficient truck in its class right now, but a diesel engine would have been great. And no, they can't just take a tent with them. When they go away, they leave for a few months at a time. That's a long time to live out of a camper... a tent would be crazy!
I've lived in my Jetta and a tent for weeks and weeks on end. I've lived in a tent for months. I know a guy who lived in a tent for 14 straight months during aviation school because who couldn't afford schoo AND housing. I see homeless people who live in tents most of their adult lives-probably a circumstnace more of choice than necessity. To say that someone NEEDS a camper is flat out false. There are people here in Alaska who have livd their entire lives in temporary homes from season to season living only off they fish that they catch in the summer and the Caribou they kill in the winter. So it really is "I'm too lazy to pitch a tent."

Ramsey

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta in Graphite Blue
Calling a GMC pickup a POS is a bit disingenuous, they are consistently ranked as being the best in their class.

That said... They are overly large, overpowered, and serve their main duty as a status symbol for the c**ktard who bought it. Give me a diesel forester or equivalent.

y22man

Veteran Member
I am glad I live in the USA where I can go camping how I want, and go to the race track and watch race cars that get horrible fuel mileage and pollute the air.

Oh and by the way trucks are the new luxury car. Anybody question that, go drive a new fully loaded Dodge Cummins 3500. Now that is a sweet ride!

GO AUDI!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
y22man said:
I am glad I live in the USA where I can go camping how I want, and go to the race track and watch race cars that get horrible fuel mileage and pollute the air.

Oh and by the way trucks are the new luxury car. Anybody question that, go drive a new fully loaded Dodge Cummins 3500. Now that is a sweet ride!

GO AUDI!
I rest my case.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
FL2AK-tdi said:
I've lived in my Jetta and a tent for weeks and weeks on end. I've lived in a tent for months. I know a guy who lived in a tent for 14 straight months during aviation school because who couldn't afford schoo AND housing. I see homeless people who live in tents most of their adult lives-probably a circumstnace more of choice than necessity. To say that someone NEEDS a camper is flat out false. There are people here in Alaska who have livd their entire lives in temporary homes from season to season living only off they fish that they catch in the summer and the Caribou they kill in the winter. So it really is "I'm too lazy to pitch a tent."
That's an unfair statement. Sure, perhaps it's not necessary for them to have a camper, but I think, as hard working people who have benefited society in both civilian and military endeavors, it's not a horrible sin for them take it a bit easy in their older age, since they can afford it. They've tent camped lots of times, and when my girl and I visit them while they off hosting campsites, volunteering, or whatever, we pitch our tent next to their camper. Besides, I know of tons of retired people that buy huge extravagant houses, but instead, my in-laws bought a mid-sized camper and a truck to tow it. I'm not a huge fan of campers myself, but I can see how it's nicer for long stays. At least they didn't buy a huge RV!! I'll bet there isn't a person alive that doesn't have some recreational activity, hobby, etc. that couldn't be argued as wasteful in some way. People spend their money on what they value. Simple as that.

Sorry to encourage a huge side-track. All I was trying to say was that in their case, whether anyone agrees with the pastime or not, a decent diesel truck would have been a nicer match for the camper...

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
However, my rights end where yours begin, and you have just as much right to fuel as I do. Therefore, when I'm encroaching on your (and everyone else's) right to that fuel by taking it with a 1-ton dually towing a 5th-wheel, I'm violating your rights. (And THERE is justification for the government to step in and regulate fuel economy for the people that think Libertarianism actually works in the real world - I like it in theory, but not in the real world.)

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
It is a real privilege to live where we can make lots of personal choices. However, our profligate use and abuse of our resources is seriously lacking in wisdom. I just snicker softly as I pass those Dodge and Chevy truck monsters in my B5.5V TDI. I thought the same in 1973 as I drove my Mercedes 220D around the 11 mpg Detroit hawgs.

There will be no sudden diesel conversion for most Americans, but a gradual realization that there is sumpin' better out there. Lead by example!

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
WOW! I think that this is the first time tooefr and I have been on the same side of a discussion.

To respond to Dicksilver- you felt this way back in 1973. I didn't. MY tdi was my first "car" and my first vehicle that was remotely effecient. (I previously owned 1 full size truck, 1 S-10, and 2 blazers) It wasn't until after 9/11...really until after the invasion when, "the bodies hit the floor" as the song goes that I woke up to reality.

I re edited this to erase a long tirade about the war that doesn't belong here.

I'm just going to agree with your statement of lead by example.

A city that is set a upon hill can not be hid.

So I'm going to drive my little tdi until I can get a hybrid. But some of our countrymen should be ashamed of themselves for the vehicles that they drive and the excuses that they make to justify it.

Peace be with you.

Last edited:

y22man

Veteran Member
I am not sure how bringing up a diesel truck for recreation pulled this topic to this.

Looks like my jab worked. It is people like the last few people that make me want to get off the bus and drive my truck everywhere I go. Just because you, or others you know want to live like a caveman or in poverty does not mean you can blindly attack others for how they live.

Since one of the posters first post I still laugh at the signature of one of the posters here. And he wants to point out my or others relatives flaws. priceless.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
y22man said:
I am not sure how bringing up a diesel truck for recreation pulled this topic to this.

Looks like my jab worked. It is people like the last few people that make me want to get off the bus and drive my truck everywhere I go. Just because you, or others you know want to live like a caveman or in poverty does not mean you can blindly attack others for how they live.

Since one of the posters first post I still laugh at the signature of one of the posters here. And he wants to point out my or others relatives flaws. priceless.
Bringing up a diesel truck for recreation pulled things this way becaue you're irresponsible and inconsiderate. People are murdering other people and dying for our fuel and you're burning it up as fast as you possibly can, in the name of recreation.

We don't (I dont) wish any of us to live in poverty or live like cavemen, hell, I grew up in poverty-it sucks. I don't see how making a few small concessions and dealing with a few inconveninces to reduce our oil consumption, no our oil waste, is either cavemannish or poverty.

I think that if every person who drives a big, fuel hog truck, had to kill or be killed every time they went to the pump, those trucks would vanish from the earth. That's esentially what's going on in the world today. Only, somene else is doing the killing and dying for you.

And yeah actually, my signature is that because I drove my car off road to get to a trailhead or it's from when I drove my car off road for 800 miles to get to the Arctic Ocean. Because I don't own two vehicles. I make my one, relatively effeciect Jetta do everything I want or need to do. If my car won't drive there, I walk or bike in. I'm not going to drive a 10 or even 20 mpg truck all year and justify it by the TWO times a year my tires see dirt.

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
DickSilver said:
I just snicker softly as I pass those Dodge and Chevy truck monsters in my B5.5V TDI.
Perhaps we should start snickering loudly. Maybe even outright laughing.

y22man

Veteran Member
LOL, dude take a breath.

Let me follow the same logic you have.

Since you are taking your vehicle to those pristine places you are destroying them for future generations. How can you be so selfish?

[FONT=&quot]The reasons message boards are so neat, fun, informative, is because you get a sample of people from all sorts of backgrounds and view points[/FONT]

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI Shark Blue on Black, 2 Door Manual
04PDWagon said:
Touareg V10 TDI...c'mon guys, use your V6 diesel (hell, even the I5!) and get better mileage!
That is what I have said all along since they launched it.

But who cares, the new ones were more expensive than a Benz, and you can say you pretty much won the lottery if you find an OK priced used one.

roytoy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI Shark Blue on Black, 2 Door Manual
BigAndy said:
And I'll echo Leica -- I think competition is what makes for big improvements in product and service and can't wait for others to bring their best to the US market. I bet those companies can't wait to get into the US market.
Just don’t take your Audi/VW to the stealer because, if their top notch mechanics fail to properly tighten a wheel nut and cause a potentially deadly accident to a $who knows how many million.00 vehicle…

You can imagine what you can expect from your local VW/Audi dealer. ;)

Can you imagine, just how pissed Dindo, Kristensen and McNish must be right now??? Especially Dindo!!!

Funny note:

I had a Datsun, don’t remember the model. One time I took it for new tires and they hand tighten the nuts and forgot to torque them… 10 miles down the road, there goes my wheel and tire passing me and crashing with a parked car…

Thank goodness I kept the car in control and managed to pull over to curse the hell out of the mechanics at the Goodyear shop!!

HEY!!! Maybe Audi should hire me for the next Le Mans, just in case someone forgets to tighten the nuts again! :D