Audi Fat five's on MKIV Jetta

chacaocop

TDI
2000 ALH, 2006 BRM
Good day guys:

Simple question, do I need to upgrade to Audi control arms to install Audi Fat Five wheels or will stock control arms be ok?

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
All Audi TT MK1 wheels (with appropriately sized tires) will fit on MK4 (note possible exceptions for 16 or 17's on an MK4 with R32 front brakes).

I would not say all VW MK4 wheels would fit TT MK1 due to the larger brakes on the 225Q and 3.2.

Lots of info about this topic on Vortex.

chacaocop

TDI
2000 ALH, 2006 BRM
Not sure why you would think that you would have to? But no. Bolt em on and go.
I once read that in order to fit larger wheels the Audi TT control arms would provide more clearance to allow such wheels. But, there is a reason for these forums. And that is knowledge sharing.

Thanks.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The 2 factors that will come up most often are the bolt circle size (5x100mm for A4 gen VWs) and what brakes you are running. If you are running stock brakes in the Jetta, then any of the VW wheels will work. Larger brakes will mean that sometimes 15" wheels won't work, and there's some brakes where 16" wheels won't do it either. I'm not worried about larger brakes though, so I can't provide details on that.

After that, the offset will be of interest, but if you are working with OEM wheels, there will be no worries. The variance of offset will run 37 or so to about 45 (the most I've seen). All of these will fit.

If you are running aftermarket wheels, then these same factors will apply. In addition: aftermarket wheels are made to try and fit the largest number of hubs on the market. So you will need to know that the VW hubs have a hub center of 57.1mm, so a centerbore of 57.1mm is required (and yes, I know there's fitment tolerance in there, but the 57.1 is the number you need). If the wheels you want to buy do not have that centerbore, you will need rings to make up the difference. Of course, if the bore is too small they'll need machining, but that is virtually never the problem.

I like the fat fives. Had to sell a set before I moved a couple of months ago. Some guy got a fantastic deal on a set in good shape. Well, they need some refinishing, but he still got a fantastic deal.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
It’s worth mentioning that offset is a value in relation to the width (from the middle), so when comparing you need to know both values.