Audi Back at Le Mans in 2022 With a Hypercar

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Just a day ago VW announced that they were suspending all internal combustion racing activities and reassigning all personnel to other areas of the company.

jmodge

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 5speed daily commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/502's backroad cruiser
I'd say doubtful it's a TDI, the restrictions the powertrain had before it left was ridiculous. My money's on hydrogen cell. Theres been a massive push recently.
That’s kind of interesting, I recall back in the late 80’s or in the 90’s reading about a push to have hydrogen cell cars take up a good portion of the market by the start of the next century. Then, nothing. It’s hard to climb past the pockets of the gas and oil industry.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
It will be a hybrid of some sort. The good news is the ACO and IMSA agreed on a common prototype formula so there is a lot manufacturer interest. Audi entering ups the pressure on others to enter. Will be a hell of show.

Dannyboy

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s kind of interesting, I recall back in the late 80’s or in the 90’s reading about a push to have hydrogen cell cars take up a good portion of the market by the start of the next century. Then, nothing. It’s hard to climb past the pockets of the gas and oil industry.
The funny thing is now oil companies are still in it because they can use steam reforming to make hydrogen from oil, I don't personally agree with it because electrolysis is available and proven while steam reforming still generates lot of CO and CO2 which is still not fixing the issue.

Because of the money VW/audi has invested in electrification I seriously doubt any type of internal combustion engine will be used. It would go against everything they are trying to achieve with greener electric vehicles image. The hydrogen absorption cells have increased in efficiency massively. It also keeps VW/Audi's green electric image and they could go the long haul in a 24hr race without batteries. Battery tech isn't quite there yet for a long haul race.