Audi A6 C7 3.0 TDI 204 HP 2014 CLAA (S-Tronic DL501) Stage 2 GTB2260VZK Turbo SWAP

Sportreg

TDI
Hey, I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience.
I've bought Audi A6 C7 3.0 TDI 204 HP 2014 CLAA (S-Tronic DL501). The reason why I choose 204 HP version over 245 HP was that I had a better equipped car for less money.

After some time, I felt that there is a lack of power in the 3.0 TDI engine. I was already out of warranty, and I thought it's a good idea to do a tune.
But I wasn't quite satisfied with the only stage 1 tune. I didn't want to put everything on limits just to get ~260 HP.

I started looking at the web for the differences between CLAB/CLAA (150 KW / 204 HP) and CDUC/CKVC (180 KW / 245HP) engines.
After some time, I was done with my research. It turns out that there are only two main differences between those two engines.

Differences:
• Injectors (you can't get exact same specs with 204 HP and 245 HP injectors)
• Trubo GTB2056VZK in CLAA/BCLAA (150 KW / 204 HP) and GTB2260VZK in CDUC/CKVC (180 KW / 245HP)

On the web, there was no available knowledge about swapping turbos from CDUC/CKVC (245 HP) to CLAA/BCLAA (204 HP).
I found out that the turbo from 245 HP engine CDUC/CKVC will also fit CLAA/BCLAA, and it's basically a P&P (plug & play) (besides some software challenges).
So what has to be done in order to get it to work?

First necessary parts to do this mod:
• Mounting Kit, charger ELRING (with mounting manual, with screws, with gaskets/seals) ID ELRING 311.330
• Seal, oil inlet (charger) ID ELRING 574.792
• A GTB2260VZK Turbo

Software challenges:
In the engine software, we need n75 map calibration for controllers in order to get the new turbo to work correctly with CLAA/BCLAA engine. There is a global limiter for transmission, and it's set to ~550-600 Nm.
We have to apply a tune to transmission to remove the limiter. If we don't do this, the transmission will not give us the dose of fuel, and the clutch will simply burn out.
Besides this, I asked to increase clutch pressure to get a better clutch efficiency + no slipping effect when really pushing the car on the limits.
There is also one more limiter in the transmission when you want to upshift over 4000 RPM, this can be also removed if you wish. I found out that this is unnecessary since I'm always shifting at 3500-3900 RPM.

My individual transmission request were:
No downshift on 7 gear when trying to accelerate quickly (It was done because I am mainly driving on highways). Now the car is holding the gear when I'm slowly building boost. The fuel consumption is 6.2 l per 100 KM (doing 140-150 KM/h). I found out this S-TRONIC DL501 transmission as a sleepy. I asked to tune it so I can get a better shifting times (accelerated gear shifting/gear shift points).

You will probably ask why only 273 HP. Well, my DPF has some years. I didn't want to push it on the limits. I'm fine with the current setup, 273 HP & 635 Nm. I'm going to do a DPF chemical cleaning in a few months, then the tuning results will be around ~290+ HP.
Also, EGT has to be at the right level in order to drive and drive (driving without any problems).

So far, I'm running 3 months without any issues. I'm doing around 2200-2400 kilometers monthly. Temperatures are great, clutch not slipping. I don't really see any downsides of doing this modification.
This tune is a complete a game-changer. I would recommend it to anyone. If I know how much I can get overstock car, I would do this on the first day of my car. I have 635 Nm at 2400 RPM!!!

I want to thank Adrian (elektronika[at]reptune.pl) who made this project possible. I did ask him a lot of technical things, and he didn't have any problem to share the knowledge with me. A huge vouch for him and his team.

If you have any questions regarding swapping turbo in your 3.0 204 HP TDI, feel free to email him. He can help you with your inquiry. I would forgot, I've asked Adrian to replace a steering wheel and code it so I can have shift paddles, and he has done it without any issues in less than 20 minutes.

Costs:
• Turbo SWAP + ECU & TCU tune = ~750€ (I found it super cheap, other tuners would charge me at least 1500€)
• GTB2260VZK Turbo = 280€
• Steering wheel with shift paddles = 100€
• ELRING kit = ~25€

Total = ~ 1155 €
Dyno results:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
We are doing the same thing with some differences:
big hpfp
GTB2565VZK + 76mm DP
bigger injectors
DL501 tune and software for 400hp
I will post soon results.

raffshore

Happy to hear that!
How much Nm can it hold with just a simple TCU tune?
From my knowledge it can easily hold up to 700 (just with software upgrade).
not easily, mine slipped massive at 750nm, like no more gears

after upgraded clutches it did fine for around 80.000km then the 6th gear pinion broke

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
I saw what happened with your box.
What abaut swaping the 8hp in?
I did think abaut this..
If we ca-n get the Ecu to know abaut the 8 Gear should work.
Abs also..then component protection.

raffshore

I saw what happened with your box.
What abaut swaping the 8hp in?
I did think abaut this..
If we ca-n get the Ecu to know abaut the 8 Gear should work.
Abs also..then component protection.
Yeah would be great, I just installed custom lower compression pistons and should be running now around 14.5:1.

I could throw some more boost now but I think the weak factor now is the gearbox.

Technically would be just a swap I think but electronics will be a nightmare

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
The electronics are the limiting factor !!
I had a hard time writing corections from the upgrated injectors ...let alone changing the gearbox.
But it is doable for sure !!
I think...that your clutches should hold ,but the rest ???
Considering this..perhaps the 8gear sistem will improve also the times for accelerating.
I will invest some time to check how doable îs the swap ,If the price will not extend much over a set of clutches ...I will go for the swap.

raffshore

rub87 was able to change my line pressures and get the limiters out of my gearbox. I can imagine that if we had a file from a 8speed car the electronics could be doable but a little time consuming.
I just modified a fresh set of pistons to bring down compression as it was throwing out the cooling water. Heads were straight but clearly the stock headbolts can't handle the boost.
I am very impressed with this engine, at 210.000km bore hone lines still i the cilinders and the rod bearings looked like new.
To get more power now I need more turbo. The s-tronic is great to drive and the ssp clutches are perfect but I feel I am on the limit of this gearbox.
I am actually thinking of selling the car...

starynovy

TDI
V6&V8 TDI
Would be interesting to swap in GTD2060VZK from "new" 200kW. Looks the same except it have water cooling. Its journal bearing unfortunately so I dont think water cooling is a must but better connect that too-longer life, maybe hoosing fits when you swap it out alltogether. Have 180kW and this turbo on shelf and probably too much time when thinking about it. :rolleyes: Anyways should be OK to 230kW with superior spool time and bottom end. For some time owned 200kW A6 and it went much better than 180kW, not only 20kW difference better but overall feel. Add tune to it and its golden. Anyone tried?

Lucian189

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 TDI CR
As I sad in the past I did swapped the 8HP in place of my stronic.
My car was running 96 - 100 mg IQ ..and the stronic did hold ,but I had new everything inside.
However the flywhell did not liked that and so on...
So I did the swap to the 8HP .

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
These S tronic gearboxes are good when they are working, however there is no fixed torque limit on the clutches. I've done many that take 800nm plus but then I've had one slip at 820nm. Then there are freak clutches that are taking 900nm:
This is the highest I've seen stock clutches take

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
As I sad in the past I did swapped the 8HP in place of my stronic.
So I did the swap to the 8HP .
How the electronics worked out? Matter of coding or did you need to use alot more from bitdi car?