diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Dunno if anybody knows how to tweak vp44 ecu. It lives in it's own world. :D

volkswarren

TDI
Audi A6 Quattro 2.5 tdi(AKE) PP683's & Celtic Remap
Best bet is to make sure injector is set to correct operating pressure then you should be ok :)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Bit of an update, bought Martin's a6 a few weeks ago as a non runner, took it apart and the woodrof key on the crankshaft gear has sheared and smashed all the followers. At some point the crank flange/seal housing was changed (common on v6 tdi as it's made of alloy so it's easy to strip the treads when grease monkeys tighten the cambelt tensioner too much) and the bolt has not been renewed and it came off allowing the gear to move on the crank. The bolt was finger tight !
There were worn followers(rocker arms) to the point that it scored the newly fitted genuine cams that the garage replaced at the last rebuild !
Took the hybrid turbo and the race nozzles and fitted to my allroad. Plenty power but heavy shudder and loads of smoke ! However i have started to experience the same power loss issues that Martin was experiencing. Took the turbo off to clear the VNT mechanism (which i thought it was jammed because of soot) and found this:

Can someone tell me what the metal bits are from ? I have never seen anything like this on a v6 tdi engine and i wonder how it got inside the turbo ?
I believe this might be some sort of cone adaptor/heatshield which was fitted inside the hot side to take up the slack left by the clipping of the wheel. I have tried to arrange the jigsaw puzzle but i cannot understand it. Funny thing is that i did not hear any noises when i've removed the turbo first time, i believe it broke in the smallest pieces whilst on my allroad due to the high EGT ! Any suggestions wellcomed !
The turbo needs a rebuild now, don't know if it's worth it as i'll rather fit a GTB2260Vk from Ryan than pay turbo dynamics a pound of flesh to rebuild this crap hybrid. The car was going like a scalded cat though, but very, very smokey ! The race 683 are off the car and will be sent for balancing and raising the pop pressures !

ulinux

TDI
2,5l A6 V6 TDI TURBO QUATTRO 24V TT5, 1,9l TDI Passat 3B AFN AG4
Maybe these metal pieces come from the double framed exhaust manifold. The inner side of them may corrode and get in smaller or larger pieces inside the hot side of the turbocharger. Although the exhaust manifolds look ok from the outside you should take a closer look inside them.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe these metal pieces come from the double framed exhaust manifold. The inner side of them may corrode and get in smaller or larger pieces inside the hot side of the turbocharger. Although the exhaust manifolds look ok from the outside you should take a closer look inside them.
I think that you might be right, looking at the broken bits they look like might be part of the inside of the manifold, now i need to check both my allroad and the a6 ! Thanks for the pointers...:(

volkswarren

TDI
How did the injector setup go? I used carwoods, but they could only get mine to 200 bar, which was via shims.
Tickover is generally good now but can get a little rough.
I'm told these nozzles need to be pin tunned to run right, though not heard of that before.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
How did the injector setup go? I used carwoods, but they could only get mine to 200 bar, which was via shims.
I'm told these nozzles need to be pin tunned to run right, though not heard of that before.
Sent the injectors to dieselbob for pop testing and balancing, apparently 1 of them is worse than the others and cannot be set to the same flow as the other 5 ! Anyway i paid the man and eagerly await their return. In the meantime, i have ordered a new Kolbenshmidth forged camshaft kit (4 new cams, forged INA rockers, hardened INA lifters and hardened trust pads) and i will proceed to rebuild the engine. I've been really busy lately but i have managed to port the heads a little and i've fitted new valves and stem seals whilst in pieces.
I'll start to put the engine back together this weekend... Will keep you posted !

ulinux

TDI

It is adjusted by selected pins (number 26 in the attached imgae).

ulinux

TDI
deleted double post ...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Few more pictures of the rebuild: heads were washed, ported , new stem seals fitted and the exhaust ports matched to the exhaust gaskets. I also fitted new set of KS (Kolbensmidth) forged cams, INA lifters and INA rocker arms + CAMCO forged thrust pad, Victor Reinz cam seals and i am using stronger tensile head bolts + thicker head gaskets. The injectors were balanced by diesel bob a few days ago so i'm eager to find if the lumpy iddle has gone. The lower CR should compensate for the increased iddle noise from the injectors. Asked for 250 bars pop pressures, don't know how much dieselbob managed to get as it's quite tricky to increase the pressures on this type of nozzle due to the size of the pins used by Bosch. Hope to have the engine started today, need to tax and Mot the a6 before i can take it for a spin ! Have loads of work on the side as well but i need to finish this first !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
It's alive ! took it for a spin earlier on and it's eager to pull but still very smokey, i think i will try the gtb2260vk that i have, need to get a custom adapter for it as it's using different flanges ! Idles better but still very smokey under 2000 rpm's and the idle shudder is still there when hot ! I am sure dieselbob will blame-it on the nozzle that over fuels...
Took it for an MOT test saturday morning and it barely passed (friendly tester) ! I was just about to gut the pre cat but i kept it there just for emissions, i will have a straight pipe taking it's place very soon.
Monday i will get it taxed so i can drive it properly on the road and blow the cobwebs off the exhaust. Minimal smoke at iddle but the back got covered in soot after i drove it on a private road...

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You were right, the passenger side manifold runners were moving and flexy pipe to the collector was starting to break-bits were falling off, replaced them both.
The car had a rebuilt engine at some time during 2009, there were a few new exhaust seats/guides pressed in and some valves were too tight in their guides (replaced them as well).
The tech who rebuilt-it just replaced the cams, few worn lifters and the missing/worn rocker arms. When i pulled the heads, the thrust pads were worn and some rockers were badly worn and some were new ! The new genuine cams were marked- such a waste of new, expensive parts- propper idiots !

ulinux

TDI
Congratulations. Maybe raising the idle rpm will fix the idle shudder. I know a fellow who has the same problem with Race683 in his 2.5l V6TDI, at idle the iq drops from 6 to 0 every few second. I use also nozzles with higher flow from Firad in my own V6TDI but idle is smooth.

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
increasing pop pressure usually helps this slightly, as the higher the pop pressure, the more leakage at the needle and in the pump, thus the more IQ, especially at idle and very low rpm, and when it doesnt go to zero but stays with minimum around 2-4 mg it should idle fine

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Took it for another spin last night as i just got the car taxed, with the boost vac. hose un plugged from the N75 the engine is smokey (actuator goes up as it should but it looks like the travel is to short compared with other turbo's i had). With the hose disconnected it does not smoke as much, car has loads of power and does not go into limp mode thus making me believe that the boost request are wrong under 2000 rpm's. I will take the turbocharger off again and i'll check the VNT mechanism for smooth travel but had the same turbo and injectors fitted on my other allroad and the smoke was epic but the car had huge power !
The a6 needs new shocks and springs as the Koni FSD Martin's fitted only lasted 4.5 years and 100k. Got a eibach pro kit to fit as it's a bit scary to drive at high speeds and new, bigger brakes for sure- got them too: 4 pot ATE calipers and 330mm 2 piece discs + racing pads.
Also ditched the 17" star alloys for a set of fat5 in 18"x 8.5", the a6 looks soo much better !
Getting there slowly...

theduke10

TDI
2.5 tdi
Few more pictures of the rebuild: heads were washed, ported , new stem seals fitted and the exhaust ports matched to the exhaust gaskets. I also fitted new set of KS (Kolbensmidth) forged cams, INA lifters and INA rocker arms + CAMCO forged thrust pad, Victor Reinz cam seals and i am using stronger tensile head bolts + thicker head gaskets. The injectors were balanced by diesel bob a few days ago so i'm eager to find if the lumpy iddle has gone. The lower CR should compensate for the increased iddle noise from the injectors. Asked for 250 bars pop pressures, don't know how much dieselbob managed to get as it's quite tricky to increase the pressures on this type of nozzle due to the size of the pins used by Bosch. Hope to have the engine started today, need to tax and Mot the a6 before i can take it for a spin ! Have loads of work on the side as well but i need to finish this first !

Hi, any chance you can help me out im fitting news cam to my 2.5 tdi i've fitted the first cam and located the tool to line it up. when fitting the second cam how do i line in up so the cam timing is correct?

regards,

theduke10

theduke10

TDI
2.5 tdi
Hi, any chance you can help me out im fitting news cam to my 2.5 tdi i've fitted the first cam and located the tool to line it up. when fitting the second cam how do i line in up so the cam timing is correct?

regards,

theduke10

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Cams (lines) needs to be lined up with the head plane then they are timed.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Fitted new Eibach pro springs and heavy duty sports shocks, rs6 22mm rear antiroll bar and top suspension arms. the rs4 b7 brakes were fitted on my allroad but they'll be swapped to the a6 asap. Car handles very good now compared with the koni fsd rubbish ! Sent a set of 150 bhp injectors to be pop tested fitted with pp 683 nozzles, will report back with results, need to fit the race 683 nozzles into AFB-150 Bhp and have them fitted to the car allong with the gtb2260 i bought a while ago...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Pictures lowered on Eibach springs and sachs genuine heavy duty springs. Hope they won't settle any more than that !

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I've just put the same wheels on mine bit with 245/40 :) What size spacers are you running?

Is than an RS6 rear ARB?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I used 25mm spacers on the allroad and 15mm on the rear of the a6. Yes, that's a rs6 rear arb. Handles like on rails now ! Waiting for the "new" AFB injectors fitted with power plus 683 bosio nozzles, dieselbob called to say they are not well balanced, i said *** ? Either the man does not know how to set them properly or he doesn't uses nothing but genuine bosch nozzles !
I have race 520 fitted to a 1.9 tdi engine and never had any issues...

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Wow 15mm? I tried 20mm on mine and they stuck out of the arches!

That RS6 bar is surprisingly cheap. I may have to invest in one :)

Are the heavy duty shocks stiffer than the stock sports ones?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
They are not stiffer but the valving in them makes them less bouncy and feel just like stock... I have tried different shocks and springs but for a comfortable ride you cannot beat factory shocks and Eibach springs.
The rs6 bar is one of the best mods you can do to the a6, it tightens the back and it's not a lot of money. Mind you this a6 had a sports rear ARB which was only 2 mm thinner than the rs6. The allroad was much thinner than that, you can see it in the top picture !
The only issue with the rs6 arb on the allroad is the compressor is fouling onto the bar and as such it vibrates more, some folk got over that by wrapping that section in plumber's pipe insulation with positive results. It does not bother me much but people keep asking if that's from the exhaust ?!

volkswarren

TDI
I used 25mm spacers on the allroad and 15mm on the rear of the a6. Yes, that's a rs6 rear arb. Handles like on rails now ! Waiting for the "new" AFB injectors fitted with power plus 683 bosio nozzles, dieselbob called to say they are not well balanced, i said *** ? Either the man does not know how to set them properly or he doesn't uses nothing but genuine bosch nozzles !
I have race 520 fitted to a 1.9 tdi engine and never had any issues...
Will the AFB injectors work ok in the ake engine? I was thinking of this route myself as I still have a slight shudder and some diesel knock.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Will the AFB injectors work ok in the ake engine? I was thinking of this route myself as I still have a slight shudder and some diesel knock.[/QUOTE
] Fitted the pp683 to the allroad, no iddle shudder and more power, need to learn how to drive the thing now as not as much low revs torque as with the old AKE injectors ! Bonus is the fuel economy went up by nearly 2 liters per 100km...