Audi A6 Avant 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Damn I need a quattro. Would be nice to jerk around yards. :D
fwd snow driving :( :(
I thought yours was a quattro ?! My a4 v6 tdi quattro is tucked on the drive as the big brakes make the ABS buzzing on constantly without doing a great deal at stopping + 235/40/18 Vredestein tyres are ****e in cold weather alltough 8.5 wide rims doesnt grip too well on snow either! I use the "new" allroad instead wich i picked-up for a song last month. Spent the whole day yesterday fitting a new thermostat and aux. belt tensioner bracket, what a pain in the but that is(oil cooler needs to came off). Fortunatelly i had the parts ready + i put a new power streering pump on as the previous owner used synthetic ATF in it (red colour) instead of mineral power steering fluid and that blown the seals of the pump so it could not work too well at low rpm's. All sorted now and the allroad is nice and warm again ! In spring i will rebuild the engine ready for some more power...as i use this mainly for towing wich it does brilliantly. The a4 is me weekend toy...also have a 2000 a6 v6 tdi quattro- wich will be for sale soon- used this for towing and it does it well but its too low since the ABT exhaust went on and its scrapping on every bump stop in the road !

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Nope no quattro on my house. I wasn't think clearly when bought that Audi. I always had fwd so I wasn't after 4wd...but now afterwards I think I was just stupid. :D We have here winter and snow like 6months / year. Maybe with the next car I'll be my first Quattro. :)

Because of long winter we pay attention top quality snow tyres here. I'm currently running Nokian RSi as wintertyres and pretty "small" size (205/50/17). You will get better grip on snow with narrow tyres instead wide ones.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, i know what you mean with regards of snow tyres. In eastern europe we use them 4 months at a time-from nov. till march ! Thing is i lived in uk for the last 14 years and with the ammount of snow we get here (few snow flakes and the country comes to a halt !?!) does not warrant the use of propper winter tyres + they nigh almost imposible to find and they overpriced. 2 weeks ago i bumped my a4 into a renault megane at a zebra crossing, nothing happened as i was not traveling fast- just a dented bonnet and scuffed s4 bumper- since then the car has been parked-up and i used the allroad instead. Thing is this big car has ESP wich i really dont like much but, the car is pretty un-stablle without electronics in snow under braking. The a4 is shorter, lighter and much more predictable just no good when it comes to stopping ! Quattro isnt just for snow, its brill in wet and twisties ! I dont care much about the fuel ecconomy but when you have over 200 Bhp going trough front wheels its just plain stupid as the car will strugle to put the power down...there quattro comes into its own ! Find a good one and swap the mods off yours ,you wont look back !

volkswarren

TDI
Audi A6 Quattro 2.5 tdi(AKE) PP683's & Celtic Remap
Hi All,
Just wondered fjtwelve do you get any idle problems with the pp683's installed??

I've just installed a set in mine, along with a celtic remap and was fine until the 1st test run, then weve had idle shuddering.
If you start the car it will tickover, give it the smallest bit of throttle and it's hunting and shuddering.
Took it apart again today and found a follower off on the drivers side, still hunting though not as bad, hope there's one off on the passengers side now, though it's a ***** of a job!!

Anyone get any other idea's??

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

volkswarren

TDI
Impressive figures, will take mine in for a power run once it's ready, though I won't see anywhere near those as I only have the pp683 nozzles, remap and precat removed.
Would hope around 230bhp and a fair bit more torque, feels more like my old 3.0tdi quattro now :)

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
With r683 nozzles you sure need bigger turbo and serious remaping.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Whats the difference between bosio race 683 and bosio pp683?

volkswarren

TDI
The amount of fuel they flow is the top and bottom of it, race flow more than power plus.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
I mean what are the specs; hole sizes and number of holes etc.

allyb

TDI
Audi A4 b5 2.5 quattro avant
Compromise between torque and economy ?

Hi all -just finished reading this really great thread !

I have an A4 2.5 quattro avant (AKN) ive had since new and to be honest, i am bored to death driving it as its as 'flat' as a 'skitter' !!:(

Ive read all the various options and mods you've all carried out and after you have tried what you have tried- some quite extreme- and with the aid of hindsight,( not swap for a 1.9 engine- although i wish thats what i had bought in the 1st place !) what would you recommend to.......

1/ improve the power / torque to a reliable level and
2/ not kill the economy ( its never been great- 34/38mpg with steady driving:mad: -and never thrashed or revved much above 3000 rpm!?)

Cars now done 145,000 miles with oil changes every 5,000 miles from new.
For starters im planning to ......
check all cams / followers
fit K+N element and a organic clutch kit
2.5" freeflow (no kat) system from turbo back )dont want too boomy)
bigger turbo ? :D
injectors ? (economy issues!):cool:
?
?
any help advice greatly appreciated. Its the 1st new car i ever bought and would like to keep her till she rots away but would like to "look forward to driving her" again !

cheers all
AllyB

volkswarren

TDI
AKN is the 150bhp engine, i don't kow if the Boiso nozzles fit, though I would think the difference is the actual nozzle not the injecter.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
You should have no cams problem if you changed the oil every 5k and used decent spec oil... The bosio nozzles were designed to fit the old AFB/AKN nozzles afaik...

allyb

TDI
Audi A4 b5 2.5 quattro avant
Thanks

Will that kill economy ? Given that its NOT ever been that good !

Cheers AllyB

Last edited:

volkswarren

TDI
You should have no cams problem if you changed the oil every 5k and used decent spec oil... The bosio nozzles were designed to fit the old AFB/AKN nozzles afaik...
Well my tickover is as lumpy as hell with these nozzles, I have a pop tester on the way but i'm struggling to get hold of any shims to alter the pop preassure.

I've fitted no end of nozzles and they have all been fine when I've sent them off for testing, though I thought I may as well invest in the pop tester myself and save any more cost.

It maybe why fjtwelve is having problems with his race nozzles. :(

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
The injected quantity is much higher than the computer knows so he's constantly trying to keep the iddle stable by increasing/decreasing the fuel injected thus making it worse. The tune needs adjusting and celtic tuning does not seem to grasp that too well...thumbs up for trying though ! I would go to abroad to have a decent tune done, the uk isn't such a good place for custom maps.

volkswarren

TDI
As soon as i get my pop tester i'll know more, expecting to see 220 bar pilot and 300 main injection.

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi 2.5TDi A6 Avant 180hp modified 2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip, 1997 Audi A4 TDI SE 90hp now sold
Hi All,
Just wondered fjtwelve do you get any idle problems with the pp683's installed??

I've just installed a set in mine, along with a celtic remap and was fine until the 1st test run, then weve had idle shuddering.
If you start the car it will tickover, give it the smallest bit of throttle and it's hunting and shuddering.
Took it apart again today and found a follower off on the drivers side, still hunting though not as bad, hope there's one off on the passengers side now, though it's a ***** of a job!!

Anyone get any other idea's??

Sorry not been on here for ages. Yes i have the idle shudder, but it varies, sometimes worse than others. Fortunately with most of my driving (Falmouth to heathrow commute) i don't find myself at idle very often.

fjtwelve

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi 2.5TDi A6 Avant 180hp modified 2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip, 1997 Audi A4 TDI SE 90hp now sold
Whats the opening pressure of those nozzles you installed? If it's too low it causes bad idle. Something like 240-250bar would do the trick. I had the idle problem too. :)

Sounded / ran like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK3sW0GOrwQ

And after raising opening pressure runs smoothly like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQy6i6X6Dz0

Btw I just dynoed my car last Saturday: http://evvk.1g.fi/kuvat/Diudi/random/dyno_2011_amw_pwrvsboost.jpg
Thats a very nice fix and a nice dyno too. I have not been able to give my car to the tuners much this year as i am now driving 5-600 miles a week, and have run out of spare money for tuning, but will see if i can get the pop pressures altered.

volkswarren

TDI
As soon as i get my pop tester i'll know more, expecting to see 220 bar pilot and 300 main injection.
Well pop tested and only getting 150-160 bar, 240 ish with old nozzles back on injector.

Sending them off for calibration hopefully tomorrow, but it's definatly why the tickover is shaffted!!

Last edited:

volkswarren

TDI
Whats the opening pressure of those nozzles you installed? If it's too low it causes bad idle. Something like 240-250bar would do the trick. I had the idle problem too. :)

Sounded / ran like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK3sW0GOrwQ

And after raising opening pressure runs smoothly like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQy6i6X6Dz0

Btw I just dynoed my car last Saturday: http://evvk.1g.fi/kuvat/Diudi/random/dyno_2011_amw_pwrvsboost.jpg
What preassure did they set your nozzles to?

Cant get mine above 200 bar the main injection stops working it the pilot is more than 200 bar.

I'm confused now!

Put my old nozzles on and they are back upto 240+ bar

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
I heard it's little tricky to adjust these pin-adjustable(?) nozzles instead washer adjustable last time I talked fellow that adjusted mine. I think longer pin is needed for larger nozzle to have higher opening pressure - not sure though. I believe any good diesel service/repairing workshop can adjust them. My current nozzles are set to 235bar. Don't know if TDIfeak wants to tell us something about it. :)

ps! We added moer powa; http://evvk.1g.fi/kuvat/Diudi/dynot/21-10-2011__amw_teho.jpg :)

volkswarren

TDI
mine are running ok at 200 bar though would have liked them higher, it must be the issue though for the bad running.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
it goes like this: if the nozzle opening pressure is higher, it will take more pressur for th nozzle to open, more pressure means also more leakage passses the nozzle needle and plunjer inside the vp44. now one would think this is a bad thing, but in reality it isnt..

the problem is with big nozzle and low opning pressure, the pump isnt able to regualte the inj qnty with enough precision causing the jumpy idle (hammer mod fixes this in VP37), so when then increasng the pop pressure it showes the IQ at idle higher which enables again a good control..

johnydti

TDI
opel vectra dti
it goes like this: if the nozzle opening pressure is higher, it will take more pressur for th nozzle to open, more pressure means also more leakage passses the nozzle needle and plunjer inside the vp44. now one would think this is a bad thing, but in reality it isnt..

the problem is with big nozzle and low opning pressure, the pump isnt able to regualte the inj qnty with enough precision causing the jumpy idle (hammer mod fixes this in VP37), so when then increasng the pop pressure it showes the IQ at idle higher which enables again a good control..
Is there something to be done to fix this "enables again a good control"? I'm also kind to know that, because I want to put oversize FIRAD nozzles to opel 2.0 dti engine which also has VP 44 injection pump.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
dunno mch about vp44, but with vp37 you can just tweak the pump voltage map to become the same effect..