Audi a4 b5 swap

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Gathering info on a possible swap.
There seem to be a lot of Quattro's out there for sale.
1. Can I remove the drive shaft to rear, pull the axles and go with FWD only ?
2. I'm more interested in MPG. I live in the snow belt but would only drive April thru October. I have a AWD SUV that is a tank for winter driving.
3. I would be using a 5sp. from EU. Almost all I see have the V6 with a 6 sp. so would need a new sub-frame, no big deal.
4. What am I missing if anything? Thanks , Col.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
2. I'm more interested in MPG. I live in the snow belt but would only drive April thru October. I have a AWD SUV that is a tank for winter driving.
3. I would be using a 5sp. from EU. Almost all I see have the V6 with a 6 sp. so would need a new sub-frame, no big deal.
Why not use a 5sp V6 quattro transmission? Unless you want to drive at 130km/h plus all day, the ratios are decent enough for the TDI.

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh

Trans was never meant to be fwd so it wouldn't be happy, i'm pretty sure the guru himself warns against that as gt40'd have tried with no success.

Like Hasen said v6 gears are pretty good and if all you see are v6's with 6 speed then you're either looking at b6's or b5 s4's both of which would have adequate gearing from the factory for a tdi.

My advice get a facelift a4 and stick in a passat tdi engine or get one from Europe.