Audi A4 B5 2.5 TDI swap to 3.0 TDI

ddurkann

TDI
Hello ,
so i have my A4 B5 2.5 TDI QUATTRO and i want to swap it to 3.0 tdi
is it even possible and if it is does someone know what i need to modify to fit it .

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Its been done in europe...you coulf use the 2,7 tdi ecu management and the 3,0 tdi engine with its own flywheel or a custom one...your biggest hurdle is getting dash info to comunicate reliably with the engine ecu and avoid a xmas tree on the dash, they use different protocols .

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Why? The 3.0 TDI has a long list of problems that the older 2.5 V6 does not suffer from. Common rail and all the failure points that come with that... Emissions systems you need to delete... And above all else, timing chains.

The 2.5L engine uses a timing belt, a simple VP injection system, and has no emissions aftertreatment. The small handful of items the 2.5L has that were "common" failure points earlier in the engine's life (VP44 pump, cams/followers) all have good permanent solutions available at low cost at this point, so you could resolve them forever. The 3.0's issues on the other hand are fundamental to it.

For all the effort and cost it would take to convert to the 3.0L, you could do major refurbishment or upgrading of the 2.5L and have an engine that is powerful and refined yet a much better candidate for long term ownership viability. And, one that comes with no communication or fitment challenges. And you would almost certainly still be money ahead.

Hopefully all factors you have already considered, but figured worth raising them if not.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
My thoughts entirely ! I prefer back to basics mechanical reliability instead of complicated, fussy logic that can leave you stranded every time you put some poor fuel in it ! The cr is a great engine when it works but -as the engines are getting long in the tooth- so many problems start to rear their ugly heads !
I love my b5 v6 tdi quattro, it does everything I ask of it without much complaining!