Audi A3 Rattle - Strange Noise

ama3

TDI
Audi A3 2009 2.0TDI CR 140hp
Hello! I am a new member of this forum and wondered if someone has had this "issue" before.

I have an Audi A3 2009 2.0 TDI with 140hp, with the CBA common-rail engine. I got it a month ago, and I already did a big service on it. I bought a new LuK DMF (flywheel, plate + clutch disc), replaced the timing belt, serpentine belt, drive belt tensioner, oil service, etc. The car has a Stage 1 tune (it had it before I bought it), and I recently removed the DPF and disabled the EGR for a short amount of time.

The issue I had since I bought the car is: when I rev the engine and take my foot off the accelerator, the moment the RPMs reach idling RPM, a little short rattling sound comes from the front (it doesn't shake the car). This noise becomes more noticeable after driving it in the city after highway driving. Also, after a 15-30 minute drive, if you just slightly touch the accelerator pedal and keep it there, it constantly makes this noise. The sound was noticeable before I did the whole service.

I also checked the injectors during idle through VCDS. All 4 of them were well inside the range of -2.8 to 2.8 mg.

I have no idea what it can be, it can also be totally normal, but it is concerning to me every time I drive the car. I've never heard this kind of sound on any other A3 or an equivalent MK6 Golf. It might be specific to the 2.0 model, but I wanted to hear thoughts from you guys.

Also if this helps: when I first start the car, leave it in neutral, and take my foot off the clutch, this rattling sound is noticeable until the engine stabilizes. It does 5-6 rattles and it stops. Sometimes when I also change gears the sound can be noticeable, not very often though (mostly after driving 120km for 30-40 minutes).

I was wondering if this has to do something with the transmission, when I took out the old clutch, it was absolutely fully burnt; both the flywheel and pressure plate also were toast. A friend of mine said that the mounts might be the fault.

I wanted to hear your thoughts about this before I send it to a dealer.

Thank you!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Is your A3A manual? You never stated this but describe like it is. I didnt think As ca m e with 6m"s??

Anyway almost sounds like a internal broken cat converter (DPF) type rattle. What about loose exhaust pipe sheild or pipe interference?

ama3

TDI
Audi A3 2009 2.0TDI CR 140hp
Is your A3A manual? You never stated this but describe like it is. I didnt think As ca m e with 6m"s??

Anyway almost sounds like a internal broken cat converter (DPF) type rattle. What about loose exhaust pipe sheild or pipe interference?
Yes, it's a 6-speed manual. The 2.0 TDI's only have a 6-speed variant for a manual.

I'm pretty sure it's not a DPF rattle since I had that checked out. I am not sure about the exhaust pipe; I'll get that checked some days later.

A notice though, I haven't heard the sound for 2 days now. I am not sure if I resolved it or it's just a coincidence but, there was a bit of oil leak on the anti shudder valve. Cleaned it and I didn't hear the sound since. Checked if I had a leak some minutes ago since I've driven the car for about 200km now, saw no leaks at all. I'll maybe need to open the shudder valve and check the insides.

I'll update if anything happens.