Audi 80 B4 1Z tdi ALH pump conversion HELP… please

Rayaudi80

TDI
Audi 80 tdi
Hello, I’m new to this forum, after countless nights researching the net and every thread being here I thought I’d better join up!
I've been messing around with Audi 80 tdi’s for a the best part of 20yrs, from daily drivers to modified show cars..
currently I own 3, I absolutely love them!
my latest in depth build has entered the next stage of modifications, engine upgrades
I’ve completely rebuilt it, from paint, to every bush bearing and part I could!

Having read loads on tuning etc, I’ve gone with a custom inlet plenum, hybrid turbo, FMIC, ported head, unrated head bolts, .260 nozzles, this all topped off with a ALH injector pump, this is where I’ve found huge issues!
I was aware some wiring changes would be required, but, nothing was easily available when searching the net other than carrying out the swap on later cars?
years ago I swapped an AHU into an 80, the injector pump connectors were different (round on the 80) I found the pump wires were numbered so, cut and shut them and all good,
I figured the ALH IP would’ve the same, no dice!
everything I’ve researched and read doesn’t swap over to the Audi platform ( although I maybe be completely wrong on this!)

I’m completely lost, I’ve a wonderful car sat in bits!
Before I go back to the standard IP, does anyone know of threads here that would be of use, any information etc

does anyone know the sequence of swapping the black numbered wires on the pumps?

Ever hopeful
Ray

1ztdi

TDI
Audi 80
Sorry I can't help with your question but it sounds like quite a machine....any pictures ?(y)

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Have you looked here yet ?

Rayaudi80

TDI
Audi 80 tdi
Have you looked here yet ?

yes, this is one of the threads that made me sign up, unfortunately I think this doesn’t swap over to the Audi platform, I’ve swapped the round plug from the old 1Z IP, changing as per numbered, I’ve no fuel at the injectors, and the pump makes two loud clicks (like a loud relay) when the ignition is live

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5 spd, 03 jetta auto, future ALH Ranger
Have you looked into the actual functionality of each wire on both sides of the plug you are trying to make work?

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/alh-tdi-pinout.387649/ This will have the ALH side, then you just need to find the 1Z pump wiring info.

The two loud clicks sounds like the fuel cut off relay (might have a different name that I can't think of right now) is clicking on. So you probably have those 2 wires correct.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully it helps some.

Rayaudi80

TDI
Audi 80 tdi
Have you looked into the actual functionality of each wire on both sides of the plug you are trying to make work?

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/alh-tdi-pinout.387649/ This will have the ALH side, then you just need to find the 1Z pump wiring info.

The two loud clicks sounds like the fuel cut off relay (might have a different name that I can't think of right now) is clicking on. So you probably have those 2 wires correct.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully it helps some.
hello, I’d found this reference too, having worked through the pictures and diagrams I’m still lost!
the issue is I have no ALH Harness plug to relate to, and I’ve not been able to find anything on the Audi 80 that relates!
other than stripping out the dash, heater etc to get access to the ecu..
I was really hoping somewhere there would be info relating to the 7 IP pump wires?
They are numbered, 1-7

I thought the loud clicks were the fuel cut off, but, on my daily, its a single soft click..

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
trying to understand your dilemma. Are you swapping wires at the pump connector or farther up the engine harness? On the 1Z/AHU to ALH pump swap the wiring repin is stupid easy #1-7 = #1-7 and #8-10 = #1-3 (ahu/1z small plug)
also, are you working with a known good ALH pump?

Rob2cool

TDI
Audi 80
Hi I’m having the same issue and wired up the 7&3 pin plug to the 10pm plug as per numbers but it will not start so thinking the wiring must be slightly different have you managed to sort yours out. Thanks