Audi 2.0 CR 143 longitudinal turbo upgrade

leif

TDI
2.0 CR
Hi guys, I did net research to understand which turbocharger can fit plug and play on the CAGA 143 longitudinal Audi engine, the original one is a Borgwarner BV43B

Among the Audi engines I know that the CR170 (engine code CAHA) uses the BV43A while the CR177 (engine code CGLC) uses a Garrett GTC1549VZ
Someone suggests that the latter is better than the former despite the smaller exhaust side, perhaps because it has higher limits?
I also saw that the 2009-10 CAGA CAHA engines (Borgwarner turbos) have round exhaust ports while 2011 CGLC (Garrett Turbo) has oval exhaust ports.

In all these engines, unlike the transverse ones, the turbo is separated from the exhaust manifolds.

Do you think it is possible to replace the turbo just leaving the original manifolds? Is the same true also mounting the GTC1549VZ?

thank you

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
should be possible but both of them wont flow more than 200-210hp safely

leif

TDI
2.0 CR
is the Garrett better than the BV43A? Other alternative options keeping stock exhaust manifold? I know GTD1752VKR is very good and early spooling, don't want going with big turbo cause lack of torque in the 1000-2000rpm, not ideal for daily use on a car that weights near 40000 lbs

leif

TDI
2.0 CR
Those will require custom manifolds and maybe other internal works I guess right?
I'm looking to the best costs/results ratio

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
CR190 turbo should not need a custom manifold as the engine is also found in the Audi A5 and perhaps other VAG longitudinal models.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
cr190 for sure is oval port, so wether the turbo fits the depends if the triangular flange between the turbo and manifold is similar as compared to the round port style bv43

leif

TDI
2.0 CR
after research....

CR190 has oval exhaust ports and the same is its manifold. Also BV43D is one piece only with manifold and not separated like longitudinal CR 143-170-177

what do you suggest guys?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I have still a 2260 kit for a round port engine like yours, look in for sale section

leif

TDI
2.0 CR
Thanks rub, but I think 2260 will be too laggy for my driving style, I know that with single turbo the blanket is short, so I'm trying to understand what is the best choice that allows 210-230 hp without compromising reliability and keeping the aspirated or low pressure turbo band (900-1600rpm) like stock ;)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
no pnp solution then I fear. even the cr170 bv43 is a big step back in response below 2000 rpm. I drove one for 300k km on my exeo. one blade less on turbine and bit higher trim on cw dont do much good.

Personally I find a cr140, like youu have drive much more pleasant than a cr170, both tuned. top end difference is small and the driveabilty in a heavy car with long gear is just better with cr140 version.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
As far as i know the bv43a off the Cr170bhp has billet compressor wheel and 9 blade turbine. Trim is slightly bigger and the CW is a 6+6 design. I have one fitted on my exeo too along with a full 3" exhaust system, no tune yet...

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
One thing they are is reliable. I gave it death for 5 years without egt limiter. 1.9 bar mid 1.75 at 4k
Turbo survived just fine. Head cracked at 299.5 k km

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I should be ok then, mine is on 460k (km)... Its the best car i owned so far and done almost notthing to it bar cambelt and a clutch!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
yep, just make sure if the 6mm hex bolt fails that drives the oilpump u stop soon. I drove till I head the cw scraped the housing at 200k km somewhere. still turbo survived :D

jwhat

TDI
Audi A4 B8 2.0
Thanks rub, but I think 2260 will be too laggy for my driving style, I know that with single turbo the blanket is short, so I'm trying to understand what is the best choice that allows 210-230 hp without compromising reliability and keeping the aspirated or low pressure turbo band (900-1600rpm) like stock ;)
Did you do anything with this since?

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Any news? What did you choose?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Nice results there.
I created a confusion. I was curious if he chose the GTC1549vz as an upgrade and how is it running.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

NEWBOY

TDI
AUDI CAGA
Hi Guys new here, have been stalked in the background for some time trying to gather information. Anyway, I have an Audi 2.0 CAGA Engine and am wondering if anything was ever done regarding this thread, I see talk of the BV43D Turbo being used and whilst it is superior to the BV43A it look like the manifold is fixed on the BV43D and has a slightly different connection argument. I'm looking to keep everything just bolt on but would like to have a bit more low down power, I have a tune but it's not cutting it at the moment. Thanks again and look forward to hearing what happened in this thread.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Did you do anything with this since?
No still gathering dust..

last100k km I drove a volvo 2056vl w the stock hella actuator. Still a very good turbo fof a 2.0. 1 bar at 1500’rpm approx in higher gears

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a bv50 fitted to my exeo but with the original bv43b exhaust housing. Turbo is ok but surges badly, however tune is still a work in progress...Not refined the tune as i am not running it at the moment, however i have a few more upgrades planned for the car this spring...

NEWBOY

TDI
AUDI CAGA
I have a bv50 fitted to my exeo but with the original bv43b exhaust housing. Turbo is ok but surges badly, however tune is still a work in progress...Not refined the tune as i am not running it at the moment, however i have a few more upgrades planned for the car this spring...
Hi That sounds intresting, what modifications did you have to make for it to fit as there is some difernce to the layout of the BV43b to BV50, what was the diferance in power and drive?