Audi 100 LS 9-1977 2.5 M-TDI

Da-BRT

TDI
Audi 100 (typ 43) with 2.5TDI AEL 140hp build up mechanical / 963 Baja project - 2.5 V6 mTDI mid-engine
Hello,

I'm Bert and I'm from the Netherlands. Already converting TDI engines to mechanical injections for a good 11 years. I work for John Deere in the Netherlands and in Iowa (Ankeny)

On my site you can find bigger pictures and other pictures of this and other projects: www.zwalve.eu/main.php

I would like to post my project here.

Almost 35 years ago my Audi started as a 2.0 liter gasser.
The original engine is the same middle high compression engine as the Porsche 924 but without injection system, but with carburetor.

I bought it from the first owner from 1928 that heard from the Audi dealer that they could not give the Audi maintenance anymore, because of lacking spare parts.

I bought it with approximately 95.000km driven.

I like diesels better and someone told me that the 5 cilinder diesel of the later type 43 ( C2 ) and the type 44 ( C3 ) also fit including the gearbox.

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI
Audi 100 (typ 43) with 2.5TDI AEL 140hp build up mechanical / 963 Baja project - 2.5 V6 mTDI mid-engine
So I bought a complete 1985 Audi 100 type 44 ( C3 ) 5 cilinder 2.0D CN engine and 5 speed gearbox. The engine was a replaced shortly before by the belgian Audi dealer.

The best a Peugeot Partner ever looked ;)

I started building out my original engine.

I like to work in the back of the garden when the weather is good.

Da-BRT

TDI
Then I discovered..... Seek the differences:

Audi 100 type 43 ( C2 ) before facelift model engine support left

Audi 100 type 44 ( C3 ) engine support left.

Oops.. on both sides the supports are not the same on this pre facelift car...

Started fitting the engine supports of the donor Audi 100

Welded in place.

Temp painted till the complete car gets painted.

Right side.

Positioning.

The new 5-speed gearbox from the diesel.

I will continue tomorrow, have to get some sleep now.

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI
I thought I took the bigest hurdle with the engine supports but also the pedals with hydraulic clutch needed modifying:

I also had to convert the vacuum powered brake booster by the hydraulic one if I wanted to build in the servo steering of the donor Audi

It's in.

after some fumbling also the airfilter housing fitted.

Engine is now ready and I have to start working on the body for the Dutch road approval ( RDW )

What was intended to be a temp usage of the rear wheels from the donor Audi is now after two years still the case.

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI
The previous owner a lady from 1928 stoped parking the car in the garage after her husband died about 5 years before I bought it and this caused some corrosion.

The type 43 doesn't have inner fenders and because of that and the salty roads here in the winter is causing a lot of rust.

New fender is there.

Coated with Carprotec RX-5 and RX-10

Bottom of the car.

Da-BRT

TDI

Rear fender

fixed the inner fender.

Replacement panel.

welded in.

Put tin on the welding instead of plaster.

Little plastering needed.

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI

Fenders are finally ready. Luckily the right side is in very good shape and doesn't need welding. (Only replace the front fender before spraying the whole car)

The suspension mounting on the right side was damaged.

Da-BRT

TDI
step by step....

The car passed the check for the engine conversion without any issues. The inspector liked the way I builded the car up.

Daily I drive a Volvo V70 D5 from 2006 and with my long back and short legs I like the seats a lot so I decided to buy a complete leather (heated) interior of a Volvo S60

I had to change the seat rails to fixed mounting points.

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI
After driving the car for a couple of months it started running bad. Lots of white smoke when cold. Loss of power.

Seems to be a compression issue. After checking the 1st and 5th cylinder had almost no compression anymore.

The final drive of the 2.0D engine was to pick up the replacement engine:

Drives still pretty good on the Autobahn.... (downhill ;) )

This is how a lowered Audi 100 looks.... or not.

Got the trunk filled with the new 2.5 TDI ( AEL ) engine. The engine hoist and the gearbox where also in the car (place of the passenger seat)

The 6 speed ( ARX ) 01E series gearbox.

And again axle flanges are different, different shifting rods, mounting supports. (I like challenges)

the new engine with covers and all.

Da-BRT

TDI

So the 2.0D needs to get out.

Because the gearbox supports were not fit on my sub-frame I made a measuring frame to locate the mounting positions.

Small temp bracket for validating the position.

Left original 5-speed middle the new support and the right the original 6-speed support.

Left original 5-speed middle the new support and the right the original 6-speed support.

For the left side gearbox support I made it a couple of weeks later (further on in this story)

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI

Engine is in.

What to do: Install the new (small) hydraulic pump on the engine or fit the old big hydraulic pump (with hydraulic brake booster)

After 4 hours the old big pump was fit. (I used only the front part of the pump)

2.5 TDI Engine supports

New engine support with hydro magnetic mechanism to damp the engine from 1800 rpm more.

This is described in the SSP (self study program) number 120 on page 28 http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_120.PDF

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI
I made a combination of the original drive axles and the axles of the A6 TDI donor and had them balanced.

Finally I started working on the other gearbox support:

And the temporare front support (have to find something that won't damage the engine at a minor front impact)

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI

The original radiator is not fit anymore because of components and supports on the engine. The alternator was first on the other side of the engine.
Will get back to this later.

Removed all the brackets in the front to be able to mount a front mount intercooler.

The Iveco truck intercooler fits.

Hmmm about 20mm play between the engine and FMIC

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Incredible project! My hat is off to you sir! Great car, too! I owned a 1982 model Audi 5000CS which is essentially the same platform as your 100. It was a very nice car. Solid and sturdy, but mine had a CIS 2.1L petrol engine bolted to the 3 speed automatic box. :(

Excellent write up, keep up the good work.

Da-BRT

TDI

Top flexible supports made.

Bottom left support.

Reinforcement bracket in the middle bottom.

The new reinforcement bracket in the front.

Modified motor hood catch hook (because of the FMIC)

Da-BRT

TDI
Now about the M-TDI fuelpump build

The original 2.5TDI AEL and the mechanical donor pump.

My brain breaker was how much rollers I'm going to build in the 5 cilinder fuel pump. This because the electronic pump is having 5 rollers and the mechanical IDI 5 cilinder pump only 3 rollers. See sheet (block c) and pictures:

Electronical 5 cylinder TDI pump.

Mechanical 5 cylinder D pump.

Da-BRT

TDI

The new pumphouse.

The new M-TDI pump after testing and adjusting on my pump testbench.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I love this project. I had a type 44 2.3E Quattro I really miss. With the extra power of the TDI that car will probably feel like a rocket ship :cool:

-J

Da-BRT

TDI

Modified alternator and airco pump bracket to generate clearance for the radiator.

Also I chose to put the new hydraulic pump on the engine and convert my brake system to vacuum booster again.

Replaced the master brake cylinder with a new one and also mounted a new vacuum booster.

In between enginebay view.

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI

Intercooler tubing in stainless.

Temporare trottle mechanism. I have to update if further, but it works very well.

Currently working on engine wiring harness and getting the interior build back.

The car drives very well.
Got 2230RPM at 120KM/H I love this 01E 6-speed ( ARX ) gearbox.

Rev. limiter at this moment 3200RPM
Turbo pressure 0.8bar

Goes quickly to 160KM/H

Last edited:

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
Very nice thread and so much effort in this project.
Keep up the good work.

Da-BRT

TDI
Thanks!

I'm busy with it today. Nicely installing invisible my audio system. ;)

piper109

Veteran Member
Delightful project ! It must take up all your spare time. Beautiful workmanship !!

I have a question seeing your injector pump.

In post #20 third picture down shows a side view of the injector pump and the throttle control. Attached to the throttle lever is a rod with springs which operates an unpainted lever close to the side of the pump. Can you please tell me the function of this lever??

I have a Bosch VE pump on another vehicle with this same lever and I would like to understand why it is there.

Many thanks :)

Steve

Last edited:

Da-BRT

TDI
Delightful project ! It must take up all your spare time. Beautiful workmanship !!

I have a question seeing your injector pump.

In post #20 third picture down shows a side view of the injector pump and the throttle control. Attached to the throttle lever is a rod with springs which operates an unpainted lever close to the side of the pump. Can you please tell me the function of this lever??

I have a Bosch VE pump on another vehicle with this same lever and I would like to understand why it is there.

Many thanks :)

Steve
Steve: This lever is for the dropping of the RPM when releasing the trottle. By changing the leaver endstop you can even make the engine stop.

piper109

Veteran Member
Steve: This lever is for the dropping of the RPM when releasing the trottle. By changing the leaver endstop you can even make the engine stop.
Aah thanks! I still have trouble understanding how it does that and not lower the idle rpm.

Can you point me to a document that describes this function and operation, perhaps how to adjust it? (mine is disconnected)
My German is pretty good and I can muddle through written Dutch.

How important do you think it is?

By the way, you are brave to rebuild those pumps!

Thanks again,

Steve

Da-BRT

TDI
@Steve: I opened a spare pump for you to see the leaver and where it's touching. Hope you find this information usefull.

The pump leaver on trottle side of the pump

Inside of the pump lid

Leaver painted white

Leaver touching on the white spot

Last edited:

piper109

Veteran Member
Wow, a big thank you Bert for all the trouble you went to on my behalf!! I think you must work in a diesel equipment shop or something similar.

I have a Bosch manual in pdf form that I found on line. It does not show that lever but armed with what you sent me, I will study it in depth to better understand it.

Thanks again Steve

Da-BRT

TDI
@Steve: Nope I work for John Deere as a business.
I love diesels and have been working privately on diesel engines for almost 11 years. We got a machine shop at home and a very old pump test bench.

Da-BRT

TDI
Last Saturday I've planned to go far into Germany (+/-400km) to strip a Audi 200 for suspension parts.

Friday evenening late when preparing I started the Audi and all of a sudden my self made hydraulic hose got of the fitting and everything covered with a layer of oil....

I had the local hose company made a new one (left)

Still a lot of humming from the servo steering and I replaced that one yesterday and still did not solve the noice. The only thing I can do now is replace the steering rack.