Attempted Break-in, theft...what to do?

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Well, I first admit I live in a high car theft and break in area, Jersey City NJ.
While my car was parked on the street, between the hours of 3am and 6am there was an attempt to break into my '04 Golf TDI, they busted the outer lock cyclinder, drivers side. I guess I have a few simple questions.
1) hard to tell, but what would the theif be after; the stock VW stereo, airbags and interior items (no loose change or valuables inside)? Or the car its self? What can I do to disguise interior items?
2) where on the "hot sheet" are golfs, particularly TDIs?
3) Is it in my best intrest to get locking wheels bolts, da' Club and a tire boot?
(almost all pimped civics have a boot in the neighborhood)
4) Or bite the bullet and invest in off street parking, the obvious answer for the most part.

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
1. Looking for valuables, chop shop addition, or joyride. With the invention of E-bay EVERYTHING sales for a price somewhere in the world...
2. TDI's get better mileage for longer road trips, maybe they blown their engine?
3. Rumor had it by popping the driverside lock it will short out the wires for the alarm system and effectively disable the alarm. Solution was to add insulation or replace the driverside handle with a "keyless" passenger side version. In addition to that add a DFI proximity/motion sensor to the OEM system to add more sensitivity.
4. Better alarm system or perhaps leave the windows down, a much more expensive option would be to move down South?

5. INSURE it and get ready for the '07 variety.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
I checked the alarm and its working, doesent seems to be shorted.

Any info on the RAVELCO anti theft system? seems good. I'm not into big noise and flashing lights. Seems like it will keep safe from joy riders, chop shop/ tow truck theives. What it doesent cover is on site stripping, and petty break-ins.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
With me being trained as a lockout person, and their method of entry. I would bet they were looking/hoping for something to grab quickly. Nowadays, there is no need to do any damage to a vehicle just to gain entry. Lockout tools are easy to fabricate or buy. My suggestion would to be ever mindful about leaving anything in the car overnight, or in plain view. And to keep it as stock looking as possible. Invest in an aftermarket alarm system that has a hidden backup battery. A good thief needs about five seconds to disable a cheap alarm once entry has been gained.