ATF

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
Anyone out there using anything else besides the VW stuff for your auto trans?
If so what are you using and what are your results?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Not worth it. The cost of using the OEM fluids, filters etc are about $100 per 100,000 miles. To date nobody has worn out an auto tranny. The main fluid should be replaced about every 100,000 miles along with the filter.

The differential fluid is a true lifetime fluid and completely seperate from the main transmission fluid (Yes two types of fluid in these transmissions) since there are no clutch packs or syncros to load the fluid with any wear metals/particles this fluid is of little to no concern. The clutch packs will wear out before this fluid shears down. I have heard estimates on the life of the differential fluid being rated at 15,000 hours of use (750,000 miles+).

DB

Keir_Asher

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Honda Accord Wagon
The main fluid should be replaced about every 100,000 miles along with the filter.

DB
I thought I read that this applied to the manuals not the autos. Autos required ATF changes at 25k. I wish I could find where I saw that, or thought I saw that.

I read your pdf on the fluid change process.
As usual, thanks for your insight!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The manual transmission supposedly has a lifetime fluid, test samples show a realistic life limit of the manual tranny fluid to be around 150,000 miles. Changing it every 100,000 with a good quality GL-4 fluid will net a long lived manual transmission.

The auto tranny as well uses a special fluid which also hold up very well. This is a synthetic fluid that has nothing in common with conventional ATF which can burn and over heat.

Auto tranny's if the the fluid is changed every 100K should get maximum life with minimal wear. Keep in mind that they are liquid cooled so the fluid is kept at optimum temps at all times.

DB

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
I do know of one member here that is using amsoil ATF. Has no problems to report and love it( I will leave them unamed)
I believe that I will be changing to amsoil also very soon.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Does Amsoil recomend that ATF for the VW 01M and later transmissions?

DB

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
Redline D4 ATF has been used successfully.
I changed my fluid/filter at about 80k, it was dark brown and full of metallic sludge.