ATF, transmission fluid as a fuel source??

surprisetdi

TDI
none yet
Ok, in diesel power mag. for trucks some guys are filtering used ATF to 3 microns and running it up to 90% to 10% D2 with no issues reported? I actually met a guy locally that has been running it for 6 years over 100K in his older 2001 powerstroke with no issues.

I am still chicken right now to try it in my truck, injectors/etc are not cheap, even rebuilds.....

Has anyone run this stuff in a TDI? I would be curious if any TDI engines could run on ATF since in Diesel power mag the article say it is very close to D2 in the amount of BTU per gallon it produces?

Please comment on this?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It is stuff like this that requires me to advise people to not read that magazine. 'No issues reported' is a hell of a long way from 'good idea' or even 'acceptable technique'.

Pretty much nothing from farming, trucking (big trucks), pickup trucks, aviation, or marine hotrod tricks/techniques transfer well to TDIs.

So do what I did and put away all your hard-won 'knowledge' and start over.

Bill

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Ok, in diesel power mag. for trucks some guys are filtering used ATF to 3 microns and running it up to 90% to 10% D2 with no issues reported? I actually met a guy locally that has been running it for 6 years over 100K in his older 2001 powerstroke with no issues.

I am still chicken right now to try it in my truck, injectors/etc are not cheap, even rebuilds.....

Has anyone run this stuff in a TDI? I would be curious if any TDI engines could run on ATF since in Diesel power mag the article say it is very close to D2 in the amount of BTU per gallon it produces?

Please comment on this?
The anti-wear additives that are in ATF and if used in a TDI engine will result severe deposits in the rings, turbo and catalyst that will damage them. Rings can jam up, the turbo will develop deposits that either deform the turbine sufaces causing flow disturbances (Ash formation) or accumulate in the turbine seals leading to a seal blow out and shaft seizure.

The TDI runs significantly hotter than a Power Stroke with a combustion bowl temperature in excess of 4,300F...this is NOT a typo! EGT's at the turbo can exceed 1650F all day long in normal STOCK engines!

ATF is formulated to be used in a TRANSMISSION where there is NO CHANCE for the fluid to get into the motor. These additives used in this application CAN AND WILL CAUSE damage to a motor like a TDI.

Engine oils use a completely different additive package that has to demonstrate it's ability to be consumed by the motor without forming permanent deposits. Newer generation "LOWSAPS" oils (Low Sulfated Ash) have to have unique additives that will not leave any amount of ash in the motor due to the extremely sensitive nature of the engine and its components to ash formation.

To compound this level of stupidity, combine the entrapped wear metals, clutch material on top of the fluids wear additives and you have a recipe to form molten metal in all the places you LEAST want molten metal to form. The wear metals will be vaporized in the combustion bowl and will build up on the piston and rings...and turbine. Once the bowl swirl is disturbed you will be on the verge of a literal melt down of the motor.

Leave the ATF in the transmission, when you flush a transmission, take it to a recycle center for proper disposal.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
We burned waste ATF in a waste oil furnace at our transmission shop all though it burned much cleaner then motor oil it left a fine red ash lots of it. I have to believe the red was from the dye but the ash was not I don't think I would want to burn it in my TDI as stated before it's full of metal brass,steel, and aluminum that alone can't be good for a pump.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Not to mention ATF has friction modifiers to help clutches get a grip on the drums in a transmission. I don't think these would be good running thru an injector pump or injector.

surprisetdi

TDI
none yet
thanks for the info...

so its NO on TDI vehicles......Its crazy that they run this stuff in the diesel trucks, I assume it must have some ill effect on the motor? Or is the clutch material, metals, and friction modifiers just sent out via the exhaust or just so small it does not effect the larger diesel engines???

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
so its NO on TDI vehicles......Its crazy that they run this stuff in the diesel trucks, I assume it must have some ill effect on the motor? Or is the clutch material, metals, and friction modifiers just sent out via the exhaust or just so small it does not effect the larger diesel engines???
It may or may not be forming deposits inside those larger engines. Only way to tell is to tear it down to inspect, and not many will do that. And if an engine does have a problem, the owner might be too ashamed to admit it all over the 'webs.

I did an experiment running 50/50 used crankcase oil to fuel on an old diesel generator. It stuck the piston rings, dipstick shot out and dumped the crankcase oil. Only clean fuel for my diesels after that.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
it affects the larger motors as well, but hey the engine ran on it, so it must be good for it right?

What it is is stupidity and no regard for system let alone engine durability.

jimtuul

TDI
2006 duramax, 2004 Golf
The anti-wear additives that are in ATF and if used in a TDI engine will result severe deposits in the rings, turbo and catalyst that will damage them. Rings can jam up, the turbo will develop deposits that either deform the turbine sufaces causing flow disturbances (Ash formation) or accumulate in the turbine seals leading to a seal blow out and shaft seizure.

The TDI runs significantly hotter than a Power Stroke with a combustion bowl temperature in excess of 4,300F...this is NOT a typo! EGT's at the turbo can exceed 1650F all day long in normal STOCK engines!

ATF is formulated to be used in a TRANSMISSION where there is NO CHANCE for the fluid to get into the motor. These additives used in this application CAN AND WILL CAUSE damage to a motor like a TDI.

Engine oils use a completely different additive package that has to demonstrate it's ability to be consumed by the motor without forming permanent deposits. Newer generation "LOWSAPS" oils (Low Sulfated Ash) have to have unique additives that will not leave any amount of ash in the motor due to the extremely sensitive nature of the engine and its components to ash formation.

To compound this level of stupidity, combine the entrapped wear metals, clutch material on top of the fluids wear additives and you have a recipe to form molten metal in all the places you LEAST want molten metal to form. The wear metals will be vaporized in the combustion bowl and will build up on the piston and rings...and turbine. Once the bowl swirl is disturbed you will be on the verge of a literal melt down of the motor.

Leave the ATF in the transmission, when you flush a transmission, take it to a recycle center for proper disposal.

Nicely said!

ronbros

TDI
1982 Isuzu coupe 1.8 Diesel
i have no problem with using ATF,or waste engine oils.

my wife will not ride in the car,PERIOD!!!

the smell is terrible,in comparison to nice deep fried foods.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
i personally ran watf in my 93 6.5 diesel truck. after a few thousand miles, deposits formed around the injector area causing it to close to about 2-3 mm. i ran it down to 1 micron. you need to be concerned about cig butts, engine coolant, motor oil, etc. the techs don't care what they throw in it.
i've also ran watf in the same truck and had bad results with that also. i will only run D2 from now on.