ATF Fluid Help

BigFoot15288

TDI
2004 Jetta
Looking at replacing my transmission fluid in my 04 Jetta (09A transmission). I am seeing that it in pentosin it calls for ATF 1. But, none of my parts stores have any ATF1. Is there another fluid that it changed to? Is there a fluid in Idemitsu?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Looking at replacing my transmission fluid in my 04 Jetta (09A transmission). I am seeing that it in pentosin it calls for ATF 1. But, none of my parts stores have any ATF1. Is there another fluid that it changed to? Is there a fluid in Idemitsu?
Very few parts store cary fluids for vag cars. Best bet is to order it online. Fcpeuro Idparts etc

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Valvoline import multi-vehicle full synthetic also meets vw standards, if you wanted something a bit more local. Have used it in several 09a's no issue. I usually use their max life version.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Valvoline import multi-vehicle full synthetic also meets vw standards, if you wanted something a bit more local. Have used it in several 09a's no issue. I usually use their max life version.
Yep. Been doing the same for an 05. It’s ideal as it has seal conditioners. Meets spec as well.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I to have used various Valvoline fluids including ATF/Dex and the Import Multi .... never had any issues and at service time it still looks fairly healthy......

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We use Jatco type fluid in that Jatco transmission. Idemitsu Type J. It is what Jatco uses for factory fill.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Used the Valvoline Max Life fluid in the '04 Jetta 09A for a long time after flushing (many times) it with cheap SuperTech. It had a catastrophic heat exchanger leak contamination that most tranny experts said would/should have destroyed it.
The 09A seemed pretty tolerant about fluid as long as it wasn't full of engine coolant. The first "drain" was of the consistency of yogurt or soft serve ice cream w/similar color(s).

oilhammer

TDI
I don't think the Jatco units are super picky either, but the correct stuff is available and not some crazy price, and we have to warranty our work, so we use the Jatco juice.

A lot of people never even change the ATF. Which is dumb.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I think it’s just most people don’t know…..
Most people want something shiny and new every few to 5 years……most never do the basic’s……to them it’s a throw away item .
Then when this go wrong because they let it go for so long they complain it’s too expensive to fix, and dump it for something newer……

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
It doesn't help that so many of these manufacturers play the "lifetime fluid" game, and just leave it clean out of the PM schedule. Then this persistent myth of "it is a sealed unit"... W the F does that even mean? Just because something has no dipstick doesn't mean there is no method of draining, refilling, and checking the fluid, even if some of them are a bit of a PITA (Ford Transit!!!!).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Valvoline says it is "recommended for" VW transmissions. Not that it meets or is approved to VW's fluid standards. Big difference.
It literally has the vw spec number on the back of the bottle. I checked before posting, as I have a handful of it in my garage.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes, it says it's "Recommended For" the VW spec. That doesn't mean it meets it. It's valvoline saying it will probably work fine in your car, not VW saying it's the correct fluid for your car.

Look at the spec sheet: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/0576637b-dc05-e811-9c13-ac162d889bd1

You'll see a slew of applications it's "recommended for". I'm not saying this ATF won't work well in the 09A; I am saying this fluid is in no way tested, approved, or recommended by VW or JATCO for use in that transmission. It's just Valvoline printing some numbers on a bottle.

If you go off of that "recommended for" list, you could use Mobil Delvac 1 ATF in the 09A (they list MB 236.91, which is the Allison automatic fluid / TES-295

-J

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't think the Jatco units are super picky either, but the correct stuff is available and not some crazy price, and we have to warranty our work, so we use the Jatco juice.

A lot of people never even change the ATF. Which is dumb.
Top Tip

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, it says it's "Recommended For" the VW spec. That doesn't mean it meets it. It's valvoline saying it will probably work fine in your car, not VW saying it's the correct fluid for your car.

Look at the spec sheet: https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/0576637b-dc05-e811-9c13-ac162d889bd1

You'll see a slew of applications it's "recommended for". I'm not saying this ATF won't work well in the 09A; I am saying this fluid is in no way tested, approved, or recommended by VW or JATCO for use in that transmission. It's just Valvoline printing some numbers on a bottle.

If you go off of that "recommended for" list, you could use Mobil Delvac 1 ATF in the 09A (they list MB 236.91, which is the Allison automatic fluid / TES-295

-J
I'm pretty sure a company as big as valvoline, let alone other oil manufacturers would invest millions in their product to probably work. They go through their own tests to make sure they meet the spec, otherwise that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen saying it meets the spec, but doesn't.

Back to the original question, lots of people have use valvoline max life with no issues, and would follow oil hammers recommendation.

Stupendous60

Veteran Member
TDI
I have changed out mine at least 5 times/158,000 miles,
I always use OEM fluid. Expensive, but over 22 years not too bad I guess...
(knockin wood)

BigFoot15288

TDI
2004 Jetta
Did a little research. The fluid spec that I found is G052990A2. Did the specification change at some point?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
My 09a has been on a steady diet of Idemitsu Type J as oilhammer recommends for the last 3 years, 30k miles. She's actually due for a drain and refill in 5k miles. This will be the 3rd or 4th drain and refill in my ownership...

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
You guy's are changing it at 30-45k intervals? Wow, that's not that long of time. I've been doing it every 60k. We all know the first change is the most important.

Valvoline does and has for the past 6yrs listed that spec. Go to their website and you'll see 200-300 specs it meets. As always, you do your thing, I'll do mine. 09A is still tip top and probably the smoothest slush box that VW has ever used. It really is a great transmission. 2yrs only though... a little rare to find one though in my parts.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
You guy's are changing it at 30-45k intervals? Wow, that's not that long of time. I've been doing it every 60k. We all know the first change is the most important.

Valvoline does and has for the past 6yrs listed that spec. Go to their website and you'll see 200-300 specs it meets. As always, you do your thing, I'll do mine. 09A is still tip top and probably the smoothest slush box that VW has ever used. It really is a great transmission. 2yrs only though... a little rare to find one though in my parts.
I'm actually changing it at 10k-20k intervals. My car was bought at 167k miles with bad solenoids. I replaced them and did a drain/refill at that time. Since then, I have done drain/refills at 167k, 180k, 190k, 205k and soon to be 225k. (I just looked it up). I want as much of the burned junk fluid out as possible. I forget the exact capacity but a drain/refill only removes like a third of the total capacity.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, a drain and refill doesn't get it all out. I would do it every 40k at least, but in a case where you get one severely neglected you may have to do it more often at first to get it cleaned out.

Unfortunately, there is not a way to flush these with a machine like on some other units.

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
so oilhammer, in your vast experiance how many times in one sitting should you drain and refill to get it near compleate flush.
or is that impossible.
the one and only time i done it i used 12bottles worth.

oilhammer

TDI
Well, you could figure out with enough math the diminishing percentage of the "old" fluid left in there, but there will be a point at which it isn't worth doing it any more in that instance.

But with these, I would just use your best judgement as to the condition of the fluid coming out. 12 quarts or liters is probably a pretty good amount. When we do a flush on transmissions that allow for it, that is the MINIMUM amount the machine will event let you do. Then it goes to 16 quarts then 20 quarts.

My sister has a 2006 Toyota Sienna, with of course an Aisin automatic. It has currently 335k miles on it. I drain/fill its transmission every 30k, since new. We use an Idemitsu branded Aisin friendly ATF. It still looks clean and red, even when I drain it out it doesn't look "bad". Even after all those miles.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
It’s funny talking to older people via Craigslist auto ads asking if the auto as been replaced. When you reply no, they sour to the sale. Odd, because I’ve never had a bad auto transmission in my coming up to 3 decade life. Highest was a T1N going for 360k mi on original OM647 and NAG1. I’d take the original that shifts 90-100% over the many poor remans. But that NAG1 still operated like it did when new (if you know them, you’ll know what I mean…rumble strip).
Still see that Sprinty in a nearby coastal town. Replace the injectors every 150-175k, Oil every 12k, and Tranny oil at 60k, and you’ll have a vehicle that will sleep 5-6 depending on arrangement and still get 22-25mpg. Go up Cuesta Pass, Grants, and the many others countless times with narry an issue.

Gosh, I love diesel with as few of nannies as possible.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
As a side, drain is 5l if you let it sit…..a while, 7l if you crack and replace the filter (which requires you to crack it, with few here who have), and 9l overall/original fill.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
On the flip side, the 01M transmission has a pretty bad reputation. You might even find some people hear who consider it a wear item ;)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whenever I sell cars I try to leave out as many details as possible, most people don't read the ad anyways. Start off ad with 'title in hand' very first question is do you have title? Bruh.
As for the 01m it's fine for a stock application for someone who grandpa's the car around. My original tdi had 320k on the original trans before the valve body started wearing and causing torque converter mechanical malfunction faults.

On another note, the lady whose wagon I maintain, I have a spare manual swap setup in my shed for the day when it finally blows up.