AT A LOSS!?!?!?

Bshank91

TDI
HOPING SOME OF YOU TDI EXPERTS CAN SHINE A LIGHT ON MY ISSUE..I HAVE A MANUAL 2001 JETTA TDI WITH 250K MILES..MY ISSUE STARTED ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO, WAS COMIN HOME FROM WORK WENT TO PASS SOMEONE SO I GOT ON THE GO PEDAL AND IT DIES....NO BANG,POP ETC JUST DIED SO PULLED OVER AND TURNED THE KEY IT JUST SPUN N SPUN BUT WOULDNT FIRE UP SO TURNED KEY OFF AND BACK ON AND THE GLOW PLUG ICON FLASHES..RAN A SCAN AND GOT A CODE FOR QUANTITY ADJUSTER PLUS MY INJ PUMP HAD A SMALL LEAK ON TOP TO BEGIN WITH..I HAVE PLENTY OF WRENCH TIME ON CARS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST VW/DIESEL, FOUND A SHOP AND GUY SAYS THE INJ PUMP WAS BAD SO IT WAS REPLACED AND SET BACK UP..SO SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO RIGHT..?? APPARENTLY NOT, THE CAR STILL WOULDN'T FIRE UP..AFTER CHECKING SEEN THAT THE INJ PUMP PLUG ON HARNESS SIDE HAD SOME FRAYED WIRES AND THEY THOUGHT THAT WAS THE ISSUE AND REPLACED THAT...NOW IT WILL START BUT WHEN IT STARTS IT INSTANTLY SCREAMS TO 3K RPM AND WILL NOT COME DOWN UNLESS YOU LET CLUTCH GO EVEN THEN ITS STILL SCREMING THE MECHANIC "SAYS" THEY TRIED A DIFFERENT PUMP THAT THEY KNEW WORKED AND NOTHING CHANGED STILL SKY ROCKETS...AT THE POINT I AM LOST AND NOT SURE WHERE TO TURN.!! SO ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.!! ITS A GREAT CAR AND MADE ME LOVE TDI'S SO DONT WANT TO GIVE UP BUT I CANT AFFORD TO KEEP THROWING MONEY AT IT SO ANY IDEAS..?????

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
@Bshank91 first of all, there's no reason to yell, second Check your injection timing would be my first guess. Did they install the same pump? Sounds like it's adding more fuel

Bshank91

TDI
Didnt realize bold was set so not yelling....and no they installed a rebuilt pump also tried a new pump and made no difference, As far as timing haven't checked it just picked car up from the garage few hours ago. I will def check it but the guy I sent it to is highly recommended in my area and he said hes never had one with these issues..was told he tried everything he could think of..tried adjusting inj pump timing,new pump,replaced broken inj pump plug, and nothing has made a difference..soon as she fires up its like your mashing it to the floor the engine/turbo are screaming and idle wont budge..literally every time i started it (which was only 3 times) it goes directly to 3k rpm everytime and its not fradual it rockets righ to 3k even moving it the rpm doesnt respond..

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Didnt realize bold was set so not yelling....and no they installed a rebuilt pump also tried a new pump and made no difference, As far as timing haven't checked it just picked car up from the garage few hours ago. I will def check it but the guy I sent it to is highly recommended in my area and he said hes never had one with these issues..was told he tried everything he could think of..tried adjusting inj pump timing,new pump,replaced broken inj pump plug, and nothing has made a difference..soon as she fires up its like your mashing it to the floor the engine/turbo are screaming and idle wont budge..literally every time i started it (which was only 3 times) it goes directly to 3k rpm everytime and its not fradual it rockets righ to 3k even moving it the rpm doesnt respond..
So your pedal does nothing? Not even rev it above that?

Well that mechanic isn't as good as he says he is. Does he have the proper equipment to read codes? It's not as simple as setting timing mechanically. He has to view pump timing while it's running.

Find a guru listed on here that's close to your location.
Question, is your exhaust more smokey than usual?
Also. Edit your main post so the members that can actually help you, will help.

None of them want to read (nor will) that caps locked, bolded, runon, non punctuated bullshit of a post.
Not to mention you posted in the wrong category. TDI 101 is a general information dump,/ simple generic questions. It is not meant have a 6 paragraph thread with symptoms. There are sections for each vehicle type.
There is even a thread for noobies about it. How to searchWhere to post

And please for the love of our eyes and sanity. Punctuate your posts.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Perhaps the throttle pedal has failed. It's a drive by wire system and the sensor is "telling" the IP to go 3k rpm. Issue(s) started when you got on the throttle?? Or perhaps further wiring harness damage or repair to harness incorrect...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A long crank and no start typically will trigger an injection pump code. When I was reading your post the first thing that occurred to me was a timing belt failure. Of course if the shop replaced the pump they re-set the timing, but if the belt slipped significantly then it could be damaged. Did the shop use proper TB tools to set the car up during the pump replacement? Did they look at the followers for indication of damage?

And the revving without control could be a faulty replacement pump quantity adjuster. What pump did they install? New, reman, used? If it's used it could also be faulty, or, as I mentioned above, not the problem.

Finally, has anyone looked at the turbo to be sure it's OK? Has the oil level dropped?

These cars aren't that complex, but replacing an expensive part immediately after getting a fault code isn't necessarily the best way to fix a problem.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
The 3,000 rpm rev has nothing to do with timing (if the belt was put back on correctly), but certainly seems to be associated with iq setting since this occurred after the pump swap.

Bshank91

TDI
A long crank and no start typically will trigger an injection pump code. When I was reading your post the first thing that occurred to me was a timing belt failure. Of course if the shop replaced the pump they re-set the timing, but if the belt slipped significantly then it could be damaged. Did the shop use proper TB tools to set the car up during the pump replacement? Did they look at the followers for indication of damage?

And the revving without control could be a faulty replacement pump quantity adjuster. What pump did they install? New, reman, used? If it's used it could also be faulty, or, as I mentioned above, not the problem.

Finally, has anyone looked at the turbo to be sure it's OK? Has the oil level dropped?

These cars aren't that complex, but replacing an expensive part immediately after getting a fault code isn't necessarily the best way to fix a problem.
They put a reman pump on but when the rev shot up they tried a new pump Incase and same thing..the turbo is good no oil usage and yes they have the software needed to check everything. Also did a compression check was even all the way across. The throttle reacts fine when it's started it revs right to 3k if I release clutch and pull off you can make the Rpms move just once the gas is released it goes back to 3k n stays there.almost like the throttle sticks but checkin throttle connection n it's all fine so at a loss with where to go from here.? Sorry for caps and wrong post location but ther ppl don't need to get butt hurt bc I forgot to punctuate was at work n stressed to max with the car just wanted some help asap...lesson learned so move on..(not you man just general explanation) I appreciate your time n advice

Bshank91

TDI

Also replaced pump bc in my area there are literally 2 shops that work on VW diesels so couldn't get it rebuilt n had a pretty bad leak to it n got a good deal on a good used pump so any other time yea wouldn't of went right to replacing parts but not a VW guy so just learning about TDIs

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Do you have a belly pan on the car? If not, accelerator pedal failure can happen. Otherwise it's pretty rare. They way they usually fail is the car will start and idle, but not rev. Yours is doing something different.

Timing needs to be set mechanically with timing belt tools. Not with software.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
They put a reman pump on but when the rev shot up they tried a new pump Incase and same thing..the turbo is good no oil usage and yes they have the software needed to check everything. Also did a compression check was even all the way across. The throttle reacts fine when it's started it revs right to 3k if I release clutch and pull off you can make the Rpms move just once the gas is released it goes back to 3k n stays there.almost like the throttle sticks but checkin throttle connection n it's all fine so at a loss with where to go from here.? Sorry for caps and wrong post location but ther ppl don't need to get butt hurt bc I forgot to punctuate was at work n stressed to max with the car just wanted some help asap...lesson learned so move on..(not you man just general explanation) I appreciate your time n advice
Where did the reman pump come from?
I'd be checking the pump IQ, if it's too high, it'll rev like that.

Bshank91

TDI
Do you have a belly pan on the car? If not, accelerator pedal failure can happen. Otherwise it's pretty rare. They way they usually fail is the car will start and idle, but not rev. Yours is doing something different.

Timing needs to be set mechanically with timing belt tools. Not with software.
[/QUOTE

The car is completely factory so yea I'm sure there is but I will double check and yes I know it's set mechanically.n the pump is hooked to the software When it was installed n started this issue they tried adjusting the timing to see if it made a difference and I was told it didn't change anything..but yea I'm at a loss bc it makes no sense weird that the pedal works but the idle is at 3k n driving it seems ok still a little high but almost like it's getting WAY to much fuel just have a hard time believing that both pumps tried are faulty but guess anything is possible not sure if a VW dealer would be able to figure it out but I can only imagine what that bill would be.also noticed my temp light stays on n beeps Loud anything to that.?? Sorry forgot to mention that completely slipped my mind

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ok is that threw software or physical stamp on pump.?
Both. You use vcds to monitor the IQ (injection quantity) and loosen the screws on the top of the pump to adjust. Should already be adjusted if it's a quality rebuild, but it should be checked.
Where did the rebuilt pump come from? eBay? Hans auto parts?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Ok is that threw software or physical stamp on pump.?
Sauceware. You need an OBDII device that can read Group 000 Measuring Blocks. Field 4 should read [Injection quantity: 11 - 45 = 2.2 - 9.0 mg/stroke ]. Most of us use VCDS
But it sounds to me like you're gone down the rabbit hole. Bothers me that the mechanic replaced one of the most expensive parts on the car, then he finds frayed wires connecting to that part.
Dialing back to original event, first thing to check is timing belt integrity, but the over revving sounds like a pump thing. But I would not trust it even has a proper pump in there at this point.
Try some strategic searches here- VW TDI Search

Bshank91

TDI
No lol definitely not eBay he gets all genuine VW parts not knock off parts so definitely isn't a crap rebuild n ok thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the stuff to check that so have to findl someone who can n see what it says.@bob the timing belt was done less than 6months ago so doubt the belt slipped especially considering the compression check had all cylinders were pretty even..but AGREE 100% about the wires we thought the same thing imagine would of seen that from the start..my guts says the pump considering that's what controls my problem area just don't have the experience with tdis to check what needs checked..just wanted some general direction so not to waste anymore time n money than I already have..so thanks for the input appreciate it.

Shoveltrev

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 new beetle deceased, 2003 jetta . 2002 jetta , 2012 sportwagon
my money is on the harness side of theinjector plug its not wired right or shorted out . it states it was frayed and repaired .

Bshank91

TDI
Yes it was repaired n before the car went to the shop had no idle issues ran great just shut off one day n wouldn't start so weird that put a pump on fixed the plug now it over revs every time it's started so definitely a good possibility this weekend I'm going to look at the plug n wires see if any obvious signs of shorted or mismatched wires

Mozambiquer

TDI
No lol definitely not eBay he gets all genuine VW parts not knock off parts so definitely isn't a crap rebuild n ok thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the stuff to check that so have to findl someone who can n see what it says.@bob the timing belt was done less than 6months ago so doubt the belt slipped especially considering the compression check had all cylinders were pretty even..but AGREE 100% about the wires we thought the same thing imagine would of seen that from the start..my guts says the pump considering that's what controls my problem area just don't have the experience with tdis to check what needs checked..just wanted some general direction so not to waste anymore time n money than I already have..so thanks for the input appreciate it.
So, they put an oem VW reman pump on? To the tune of around $2500?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Welcome to the Club.

Yeah, I struggled thru this Thread, including the All Caps that I normally just pass over. However, I am concerned about the Club losing participation to the idiotic Social Media Groups. The activity here is very weak compared to years past.

Well, in my opinion, the Mechanic went into this job without properly diagnosing the engine. The engine could have been scanned for codes without it running.

I've never experienced a failing or failed ALH Injection Pump. I have been down that road with the pumps that come on the MK1 engines. The IP would gradually get so bad the engine would not start.

So, for your engine to just up and stall at speed with no other symptoms seems to point at the mangled wiring harness. These engines are terrible at vibrations that can and do damage the wiring. That's where I would be looking!

What did the Mechanic do with your old pump? If he traded it in for a core, well, it is highly likely a good pump went to scrap!

I do not trust your mechanic. Doing a compression check was the icing on the cake which just added to your bill. Yeah, I know, that may have ruled out jumping time .........but, while setting up the engine for an IP replacement would confirm or rule out jumping teeth on the TB.

You need to find a Guru and have the car towed there! Otherwise, you are going to go deeper into that Rabbit hole that someone mentioned!